Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Good luck to all the parents and students for 2021 intake. I started the first uni thread here for 2019 and I hope this thread is as helpful for you as it was for us. I’ve made good friends through that first thread and we all still chat on there as we care about how all the students have coped through these very strange times

My first tip would be to visit the town/city and have a walk around (if possible due to restrictions of course) and also the campus grounds too if at all possible. My DD was sure she would love the first uni we visited as it was her favourite from the prospectus, she didn’t like it at all. The city was too small, too hilly and she didn’t like the look of the course. She eventually chose an uni that she hadn’t wanted to visit but I suggested as it wasn’t too far away and is a Russell Group uni. As soon as she got there and looked at the uni and city, she loved it and knew it was right for her. I realise this isn’t so easy for the students of 2021 sadly, but if at all possible it does help to visit one or two of the cities. Good luck to everyone xx

Edited at 01:24 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I am not sure if I am doing something completely wrong but I am looking at Liverpool prices and it £170 plus!
My daughter has to have a en-suite so they are more expensive 😫
She doesn’t ‘have’ to have an en-suite although I’m sure she thinks she does . Chances are in her second year she’ll opt for a grotty house with only one bathroom anyway.

Re halls. Don’t just look at the uni owned halls. My dd went into a Liberty living hall in her third year and it was no different to the uni hall in first year. Same atmosphere, plenty of student life. The room itself was nicer. And cheaper. I think they have rebranded as UniteLiving.

unitestudents/liverp...ton-Park-House

This one is in Liverpool. Starts from £99/week.

The one feature Katie would suggest is a shared living space not just a shared kitchen. Her first year flat had a shared kitchen with nowhere to sit. So they spent more time in their own bedrooms. She preferred her third year flat which had a sofa / tv in the communal space and was more social.

For my dd living away from home was really beneficial although I know these are strange times to be making these decisions.

Edited at 07:43 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

DD is wanting to stay within 1-2 hours of home ideally. She would like to attend a Russell Group uni if possible, but this might just be out of her reach with a need for 3 x As so she is looking at non-Russell group unis too. She’s currently looking at Leeds, york, Lincoln and Nottingham. She did fancy Newcastle but her maths gcse result rules that out. Liverpool is also on the list even though it’s a bit further than 2 hours.

I was shocked at some of the uni accommodation prices, especially at Liverpool 😲 so thank you to the poster earlier with the other link. I can’t believe what they get away with charging given the size and condition of some of the accommodation. You can Rent a full 3 bed house where I live for these sort of prices (you can tell we don’t have a university where we live).

It’s going to be financially challenging for the next 6-7 years supporting 2 kids through uni that’s for sure.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I was terrified about the expense but we managed. Her loan covered her accommodation (almost), And she worked each summer and started each year with approx £2000 savings. She didn’t work during term time although most of her friends did. We gave her £35/week.

I paid for some big expenses (train tickets mostly). But she managed on that and never asked for a top up.

If Newcastle is a decent location, then look at Northumbria as well. It’s not Russell Group but has a good reputation.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

I have twins so am currently going through everything times 2! We will only receive the basic maintenance grants so will have to top them both up financially looking at the accommodation costs as it doesn’t even cover that!

My two have done lots of open days virtually but it isn’t really the same is it.

Yesterday we drove to Nottingham (didn’t get out of the car) and spent 30 minutes or so just trying to get an understanding of where accommodation was in relation to study buildings and the library etc. We had to go through a security barrier but we just said we wanted to drive round and it was fine.

We then went to Leicester where we had an individual campus tour booked. It was just us with a really enthusiastic post grad student. We then did the same with a staff member from the Uni who took us on an individual accommodation tour. That was really beneficial as we saw different levels of rooms and she went through costs with us.

These were booked via the Uni website and was easy to socially distance as it was just us and the guide.

I know other Uni’s are doing this kind of thing as well as virtual tours so may be worth checking.

I’ve also found a forum called WIWIKAU.co.uk (what I wish I knew about university) I think which has loads of threads and also one per Uni that has pics of rooms on there which is helpful.

As for my two, my incredibly laid back ds has already submitted his UCAS form and received an offer from Edge Hill. He wants to do Professional Policing. My dd is still working on her personal statement but wants to study genetics.

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread!

Edited at 10:28 AM.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
She doesn’t ‘have’ to have an en-suite although I’m sure she thinks she does . Chances are in her second year she’ll opt for a grotty house with only one bathroom anyway.

Re halls. Don’t just look at the uni owned halls. My dd went into a Liberty living hall in her third year and it was no different to the uni hall in first year. Same atmosphere, plenty of student life. The room itself was nicer. And cheaper. I think they have rebranded as UniteLiving.

unitestudents/liverp...ton-Park-House

This one is in Liverpool. Starts from £99/week.

The one feature Katie would suggest is a shared living space not just a shared kitchen. Her first year flat had a shared kitchen with nowhere to sit. So they spent more time in their own bedrooms. She preferred her third year flat which had a sofa / tv in the communal space and was more social.

For my dd living away from home was really beneficial although I know these are strange times to be making these decisions.
Sorry, saying she has to have an en-suite sounded entitled 🙈 its for medical reasons. She really does have to have an en-suite.
Thank you so much for the link ! I honestly know nothing about halls etc
Good point about the sharing living space 👍🏻 I would hate to think she was stuck in her room most of the time x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
I have twins so am currently going through everything times 2! We will only receive the basic maintenance grants so will have to top them both up financially looking at the accommodation costs as it doesn’t even cover that!

My two have done lots of open days virtually but it isn’t really the same is it.

Yesterday we drove to Nottingham (didn’t get out of the car) and spent 30 minutes or so just trying to get an understanding of where accommodation was in relation to study buildings and the library etc. We had to go through a security barrier but we just said we wanted to drive round and it was fine.

We then went to Leicester where we had an individual campus tour booked. It was just us with a really enthusiastic post grad student. We then did the same with a staff member from the Uni who took us on an individual accommodation tour. That was really beneficial as we saw different levels of rooms and she went through costs with us.

These were booked via the Uni website and was easy to socially distance as it was just us and the guide.

I know other Uni’s are doing this kind of thing as well as virtual tours so may be worth checking.

I’ve also found a forum called WIWIKAU.co.uk (what I wish I knew about university) I think which has loads of threads and also one per Uni that has pics of rooms on there which is helpful.

As for my two, my incredibly laid back ds has already submitted his UCAS form and received an offer from Edge Hill. He wants to do Professional Policing. My dd is still working on her personal statement but wants to study genetics.

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread!
That is all very useful thank you. How did you book the tours did you email the university directly?

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
That is all very useful thank you. How did you book the tours did you email the university directly?

Kat
Hi Kat, for Leicester it was through the Uni website and there was a link for actual tours as opposed to virtual. I know Derby are doing a similar thing (or were!)

Nottingham we just arrived. We’d had it planned for some time, and even though we knew it was heading for Tier 3, it was quite important to my dd to actually see the place. As I said, we didn’t even leave the car but was very worthwhile.

Such a tricky time for them all isn’t it.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
The price of halls is ridiculous isn’t it? Student loans are paid to coincide with the rent due date so for my kids it was literally in one hand and out the other! I also top up the rent shortfall and give my DS £50 per week for food etc - a lot of Dibbers give more but both my kids managed on £50.
Same for us. DD is about £800 short on the accommodation fees and we give her £50 a week for food etc. We also paid for a bus pass. Don’t forget any extra equipment for the course - we had to pay about £400 for PPE such as safety boots, scrubs etc as DD is doing vet med.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

DDs loan won’t even cover her accommodation costs. Depending what accommodation she ends up with, we are looking at least probably £1k shortfall... more likely £2k and then there will be food and living costs on top. Like with anything else, I’m sure we I’ll get by, I just think the amounts they can charge are outrageous.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List