Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 30 Nov 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Discounting family members meals

As some dibbers will know I charge family members who visit us for Christmas dinner to cover the basic overheads (I don't charge my wife and son). I am only having 3 extra visitors for Christmas dinner this year, and as a good will gesture (due to the rubbish year people have had) I am thinking of offering them a 25% discount.

I usually charge family adults £29.95 each which also includes a glass of wine each (not oyster bay - that is hidden until they go), but I'm thinking of just charging them £22.50 each this year (I have access to my elderly mother's bank account so I will withdraw her fee myself).

Would others do the same or am I being too generous?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
As some dibbers will know I charge family members who visit us for Christmas dinner to cover the basic overheads (I don't charge my wife and son). I am only having 3 extra visitors for Christmas dinner this year, and as a good will gesture (due to the rubbish year people have had) I am thinking of offering them a 25% discount.

I usually charge family adults £29.95 each which also includes a glass of wine each (not oyster bay - that is hidden until they go), but I'm thinking of just charging them £22.50 each this year (I have access to my elderly mother's bank account so I will withdraw her fee myself).

Would others do the same or am I being too generous?
Way to generous. I would go for a 10% increase due to Covid costs or are they bringing their own sanitiser.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Way to generous. I would go for a 10% increase due to Covid costs or are they bringing their own sanitiser.
I didn't think of sanitiser as that will increase costs more if I provide it, plus the extra use of my soap etc. Maybe you are right and 25% is too generous.

Edited at 09:34 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Concur far too generous, if anything , I would increase costs this year.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I concur, most places are charging extra to cover PPE / extra cleaning costs etc. you're far too generous MH.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post

I’d also consider charging your wife and son this year just to cover any unforeseen overheads.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Why don’t you charge Mrs MH? Doesn’t she get enough? Half a kitchen, £10 Superdrug voucher and a pandora charm dangling in front of her eyes! You need to stop being so soft and charge her with the rest of them (even if she does buy, cook and serve it)
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Why don’t you charge Mrs MH? Doesn’t she get enough? Half a kitchen, £10 Superdrug voucher and a pandora charm dangling in front of her eyes! You need to stop being so soft and charge her with the rest of them (even if she does buy, cook and serve it)
Maybe next year you can have Xmas on your yacht then you wont have to deal with any of them
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
I am sure that if you did your esteemed personalised drawings on the napkins you could actually double the charge.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post

I am also in the camp of increasing the costs this year to cover higher overheads. Your wife and son are taking liberties but you need to accept some responsibility for that as you allow people to walk all over you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List