Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Dec 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Clearwater beach to Cabana Bay

Hi oh knowledgeable ones!

We are landing at tampa and having five days at Clearwater beach, followed by 12 nights at cabana bay, the planner in me totally forgot about the logistics of getting from one to the other tho, we normally hire a car but have decided not to this time, mostly due to hotel car parking charges.

Any cheap way of getting to Orlando? I’ve looked at bus which takes forever, Uber which is expensive, and car hire which is limited.

There appears to be a Hertz car hire at the Sheraton in Clearwater, but the nearest drop off is Hilton 6100 destination parkway. Or there is an Avis in Clearwater town. I would do a day hire and return the same day if possible.

Would any of these companies arrange for a pick up from Cabana Bay, I can see that they offer a pick up to collect the car, but can’t see anything about getting the car back.

Is there another alternative ive overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any info

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I believe a lot of the car hire places are not showing at the moment so there is likely to be more places to pick up / drop off available than currently showing.

Avis have a rental desk at Cabana Bay for the drop off
avis/en/locations/us/fl/orlando/u2s
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
hawk299
Getting Excited

considering the distance I doubt you'll find cheaper/easier than Lyft/uber
UberXL says $130 for clearwater to disney
hawk299 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

a fair few car hire places on the main drag outside clearwater, i commented on it on our last trip

with the price of car hire, Uber/lyft is starting to look better all the time

we are going to stay 1 week onsite and then 2 off-site, the plan was the hire a car for the 2nd 2 weeks, but we would only head from resort to disney and out for a bite to eat on the way home, i am honestly thinking of Uber / Lyft for it all
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

Have you considered having a car until you get orlando. Avis have a rental desk at Cabana Bay, would it be better for you to book a car from Tampa airport and return it at Cabana Bay, that way you also have a car at Clearwater in case you fancy a day out or to while you are there, its only a just over an hour to Anna Marie island and fort de soto is worth a visit 50 mins away.

Our last trip was the first time we didn't have a car the whole time, we had one for 2 days at the start to do a bit of shopping and get food and got rid of it at Sapphire Falls then on our check out day a week later picked one up from SF to drive to the St Pete Beach and kept it until we flew home and will be doing the same hopefully next year.
Old 21 Dec 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. Good news that there is an Avis desk at cabana bay, I can concentrate on that car hire company as it’s easier.

Looks like I’ll have to get over to Clearwater town by Uber to pick up the rental (unless they deliver? ) but it was only $10 last time we went over the bridge. Avis is coming out about £60 for an intermediate for the day, we can then leave and have a leisurely drive up to Orlando and get some shopping and lunch on the way.

It would be easier to get a car from the airport, but it’s going to be £100 just to park at the hotel and I don’t know if we would actually use it, we didn’t last time and it was a waste of money.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List