Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Dec 20, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyOlivia1
Earning My Ears

Travel to and from Heathrow

We have booked flights from Heathrow for August 2021 for our family of 4. Our new car isn't big enough to fit the four of us and cases so looking at other ways of travelling to and from the airport. Taxi will cost £250 each way from Derby. Just wondering if anyone has been in the same predicament and has any better or cheaper ideas?

Thanks in advance
DisneyOlivia1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

How about train or National Express coach?
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’ve done National Express coach before. That would definitely be cheaper. Does take a while though.

What about a flight down and back up? How much are they?
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

My neighbours hire a larger vehicle with a one-way drop off, and arrange to collect one on arrival on the way back.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Done National Express twice to Heathrow, just allow extra time unless you book a hotel room so travelling previous day.
Sometimes there are special rates for trains too. You could split the train tickets destinations as it could be cheaper than a through ticket.

It's so nice not to drive home after a long flight/jetlag
Mrs Red C is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We done n e and train Gatwick express which we found fine
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Littlelufs32
Excited about Disney

We are also travelling from Derby so I can appreciate the trek involved.
We have a 7 seater now so it's not an issue now but I've used National Express before with no issues.
If the children are very young perhaps consider a hire car.
Littlelufs32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’ve done National Express coach before. That would definitely be cheaper. Does take a while though.

What about a flight down and back up? How much are they?
National Express isn't always cheaper. For my last flight from Gatick, in 2019, the train cost about £40. It took 1 hour 40 minutes, there were no changes. National Express was about £90, there was one change and it took 4 hours. I got the train ...
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It will add a day either end of the holiday if travelling by coachnir train. Check out times to make sure they suit.

I've done both from Devon, just on my own, to save driving after a night flight but coming back is always a challenge as usually sat in a cold waiting room for at least an hour.
Old 28 Dec 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
m3gt2
Excited about Disney

I hope this is allowed and sorry if it's not but, if you've not sorted it yet I am based in Coalville M1 J22 and would be happy to look at a quote for you. You can either message me on here or my website is ck-cars
m3gt2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List