MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've booked offsite hotels for the first time (for the full holiday, we've stayed a few nights in offsite hotels before and have had villas) - for exactly the reasons you say. We stay deluxe and refuse to pay the price for just 2 of us with no DDP and extra benefits.
We've booked a DS resort - which looks lovely and is just over the bridge from DS - for the main part of the trip and even though we're getting an extra 4 days we're saving over £3000 on the cost of room only at the Y&BC.
However if a miracle happens and WDW offer the DDP we would probably cancel and return to the Y&BC.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 04:24 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
For me, it all depends on what comes back when the Covid situation improves. And it will improve. The rest of the pandemic handling aside, and not wanting to start a political debate AT ALL, but our vaccination rollout is looking excellent and Biden is now steering the reigns for the USA. Call me crazy but I'm optimistic, and surely, Disney should be as well?

If they want UK guests back on site, they must know that offering free DDP and FP is the way they can fill those rooms for 2022? It's not rocket science.

If FP and free DDP come back then that would be enough to pull us back to staying on site at Disney. We don't get a car, so car parking charges don't matter to us and we never really used EMH so we could definitely work a Disney holiday without it.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
just prefer i drive and the variety of stuff to do in the evening. Stayed a few disney and a few off site it would take prices to drop to around $100 per night to tempt me for a moderate resort now. the cost of the park tickets and parking is running away with itself. you could say a 14 day ticket is good value if you go to the parks everyday, but it becomes a chore, and with only the odd new attractions, i hate to say it but its becoming mundane, overpriced, and with more emphasis on making money, than the original concept of fun and quality time.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I originally went to Orlando in 2005 with one purpose.. to stay on site and see Disney. I was underwhelmed with All Stars movies. I did not have a car, the food was both poor and overpriced. I felt like I was in a prison.. in a very small cell. We did a day in Seaworld and were impressed with all parks visited.

In 2009 we returned and stayed off site, doing DC ultimates, Disney 14 and Universal. Whilst Disney was ok, the rest were great and DC, absolutely fantastic.

Lots more trips followed, but increasingly, Disney became
peripheral, until not even visited on our last 5. Increasingly the other parks have followed into the ‘OK’ bracket and increasingly we have gone multi State (9 last time), with just a portion of it within Orlando.

Now, we wonder if we will ever return to Orlando at all, with the only theme draw now being Discovery Cove.

Why has this happened? Well, partly because we have done it so many times that we are over familiar and partly because our kids are growing up, but that is not the main reason..
If I was a multi Millionaire, I would still seek value in everything I do. I no longer see value in the Disney empire as they have increasingly turned the screws and drained the fun out of it with their nickel and dimming. Universal are rapidly following the same route. D.C., SW, BG, AQ in contrast, whilst pricey for food, still imho represent good value with free parking etc.

With this disenchantment re theme parks and Disney in particular, I am increasingly wondering why I visit Orlando at all and if visiting Florida, I would in any case prefer Pensacola/ Panhandle .. or the Lower gulf Coast.. or the Keys.

Disney have for me killed the Golden Goose and therefore killed Orlando as a whole. Staying on site? Not in a million years.

Edited at 06:11 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post

It's so interesting that more and more people are thinking like us now.

I've been going to Florida for over 25 years and have stayed onsite at WDW twice (2019 and Feb 2020) and Universal once (2018). I love the onsite experience but think now if i'm going to do onsite it would be Universal as the hotels really feel at a quality level to justify the price.

For Disney, well, we are booked for AKL and POP in standard rooms for nov/dec this year and priced up an offsite hotel (1 bedroom suite at Tuscany Village) and for what we get offsite, even adding travel costs we are saving over £1500. it's a no brainer for us to do that and we'll round off at a WDW hotel for 2 nights just in case 60 day FPs come back and to make use of DME.

We've never been hardcore disney onsite fans so it's been a lovely experience having the 2 onsite stays but for us now it's just not giving the value that we would expect.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
for us as a family of 5 we are limited to the rooms we can get onsite and without free dining it is no longer viable. We have to save a few years at a time to be able to afford Disney and it was worth it when we had free dining and all the perks but our next trip will be offsite after our last 3 being onsite. We always hired a car so we could nip to Walmart , Universal , outlets etc and it wa fine having it when onsite parking was free but dont want to pay for parking at the hotel when the car isnt being used everyday. We liked the extra magic hours - some nights some of us would head back to our room and others would stay those extra few hours. Free magic bands - again these were great - kids had access to the dining credits if they went off on their own.