Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Jul 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

I've read somewhere that the plantation aspect of POR is considered problematic, so it may be that they're considering a retheming - just a rumour though!
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

As we cancelled our Disney booking in early June (for August 3rd), I hadn’t realised that so many resorts weren’t re-opening. We were going to stay at Animal Kingdom & now that isn’t on the re-opening list!
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

i think they are only opening the resorts on the cable cars /boats for better social distancing... better than just busses..
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
I've read somewhere that the plantation aspect of POR is considered problematic, so it may be that they're considering a retheming - just a rumour though!
I think that used to be the case back when it was Dixie Landings. The reason why they changed the name back in 2001 was to distance themselves from the plantation backstory.

They are only reopening some of the resorts now because of reduced numbers of guests (due to social distancing). And if you're going to keep one of the moderate resorts then Port Orleans seems like the obvious choice - as macdonald says, CBR has the Skyliner which helps with socially-distanced travel and Coronado has conference facilities and more rooms.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I think that used to be the case back when it was Dixie Landings. The reason why they changed the name back in 2001 was to distance themselves from the plantation backstory.
I know, but it seems like the controversy is back in the current climate...
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Disney has provided a list of resorts that are reopening, with the inference that those that aren't listed are not reopening. The list is shown on this page:
disneyworld/experi...dates/resorts/
So, at this moment in time, the hotels not listed will not reopen any time in the future (which implies they aren't open in 2021. Or even 2022 for that matter).

However, Disney can (and probably will) announce that the remaining resorts will reopen at some point in the future depending on how things go with the virus. Port Orleans may reopen next year or it may not. It might even reopen later this year. We don't know. But at the moment it's closed for the foreseeable future.

As Disney say in that link:
"Please note that given the fluidity of the current environment, these dates are subject to change and Guests’ reservations could still be modified to other Disney Resort hotels if needed".

For info, until my onsite stay was cancelled a couple of days ago, my MDE still showed that I was staying at POFQ at the end of this August. Even though we all knew that POFQ wasn't going to be open. So someone's account can still show them staying at Port Orleans next year but that might get amended closer to the time once Disney knows if/when it's going to reopen.
I'm booked into POR and was waiting for the 'window' to open for me to book AKV-Jambo House but it seems kidani village only open.
Gutted as I love jambo.

Everything is so close and I can rest my aching legs after the parks or go for a dip in the pool, get lunch and a drink at the Mara or later in the evening, a drink at victoria falls, eat at boma, watch the flames of the open fire or chill in the small lounge/tv area!

OMG I'm going to miss it terribly!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey2014
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
So they take bookings in the meantime, hotels that are open fill up, nothing changes with covid, value resorts still shut. What then? Don't get a room? Wondering how this will work in a worst case scenario of how things turn out next year.
I have wondered that they should move everyone who is booked in those hotels That don’t seem to be opening so we get first priority or we could then end up with nothing.
Mickey2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
AdmiralJack
Imagineer

Mobile

We were look at booking a cheap getaway next Feb, so looking for the All Stars mainly for the buses and airport pickup. On both Virgin and direct with Disney they aren't even an option. Looks like its Pop Century then
AdmiralJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mickey2014 View Post
I have wondered that they should move everyone who is booked in those hotels That don’t seem to be opening so we get first priority or we could then end up with nothing.
It is a bit of a worry since they will open up bookings post September 21 at some point.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
BonbonPrincess2
VIP Dibber

BonbonPrincess2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
How has it worked in past with hotel closures? Do they just move you to what’s available or can you have some input?

DL, Holiday Inn Maingate - 1994 / DLP, Sante Fe - 1996 / DLP, off site - 1998 / DLP, Newport Bay - 2009 / DW, ASM - July 2012 / DW, OKW - Aug 2014 / UOR, Royal Pacific - Aug 2016 / DW, POFQ - Aug 2018 / DW, POFQ Aug 21 cancelled / DW, POFQ Aug 22 YES YES
BonbonPrincess2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List