Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

9 days split 3 ways

I’m just looking for some direction or advice. I’m currently looking/planning a 9 day trip for April next year and am thinking to fly into Las Vegas and hire a car and spend 3 nights. We would then drive to LA and spend a night near the Warner Bros. Studio tour/ Hollywood sign and then 2 nights in Anaheim to do Disneyland the idea is to then fly to San Francisco dropping the car at the airport and spending 3 days touring before flying home.

Has anyone done anything similar if so what are your thoughts? Would you cut a San Fran day to spend an extra at Disney? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 18, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Have you been to any of these before? My personal opinion is that you’re not spending anywhere near enough time in any of the places to appreciate them. What are the things you really want to see in California and Nevada?

I would pick either SF and LV and split the time equally or start at Anaheim, then central LA and then a couple of days in Vegas before coming home. We flew between LA and Vegas but you can drive in a similar door to door time. We did that trip a few years ago but did 3 nights in Anaheim, 4 in Burbank and 5 in Vegas.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the feedback, this would be a first west coast trip. I really want to see the Grand Canyon, the Warner bros studio tour, Hollywood, maybe universal studios, Disneyland, Alcatraz and I would love to do the Dylan’s tour in San Francisco. Thinking of annual leave I can take 7 days and get a 9 day trip. I originally priced flying between each but thought to drive between LV and LA I have priced flights and the best option is to start in LV and leave from SF.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I agree First trip you could easily spend 9 days in any of these and you will miss to much also if you are booking only a weeks leave assuming you will fly Saturday morning out and Saturday evening back meaning you will arrive Sunday in the uk.

I would probably suggest LA and LV if you fly in and out of LA and drive to Vegas and back your flights will be much cheaper.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I agree First trip you could easily spend 9 days in any of these and you will miss to much also if you are booking only a weeks leave assuming you will fly Saturday morning out and Saturday evening back meaning you will arrive Sunday in the uk.

I would probably suggest LA and LV if you fly in and out of LA and drive to Vegas and back your flights will be much cheaper.
Thank you I will price this up, I was looking to fly on a Wednesday and take advantage of the 2 Easter bank holidays the following week.
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

You need to think about the distances involved as part of your planning.

For example if you fly into Vegas and have 3 nights, which in reality gives you 2 full days and nights.

You can do the Grand Canyon West rim which is the smaller one (about a tenth of the size of the south rim) by helicopter in half a day, or a full day by car / coach. South rim is 4 hours each way from Vegas so is better with an overnight stop, else it is a very very long day and would only leave you 1 day for Vegas.

The drive to the Hollywood area in LA is 4-5 hours, so if you left first thing you may get some of the sights done that day. So thats 4 nights done. You then do the other sights (Warner Bros etc) in North LA that day and drive down to Anaheim, which will take another couple of hours. Stay overnight and that's night 5 nights down.

If you then spend 2 full days doing Disney it is unlikely you will want to do the flight that night so that is 7 nights done. Fly to San Francisco the next day and you will lose most of that day, only getting a short time to explore. That's now 8 nights. So you really only have one full day in San Francisco before you have a night to then fly out the next day.

You are going to have little time in any location and lots of long days travelling to get any reasonable time anywhere.

9 nights is really only enough for 2 of the 3 locations because you really don't get the days you are thinking when you add in the travel times. It is very different to Orlando.

Edited at 11:48 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
You need to think about the distances involved as part of your planning.

For example if you fly into Vegas and have 3 nights, which in reality gives you 2 full days and nights.

You can do the Grand Canyon West rim which is the smaller one (about a tenth of the size of the south rim) by helicopter in half a day, or a full day by car / coach. South rim is 4 hours each way from Vegas so is better with an overnight stop, else it is a very very long day and would only leave you 1 day for Vegas.

The drive to the Hollywood area in LA is 4-5 hours, so if you left first thing you may get some of the sights done that day. So thats 4 nights done. You then do the other sights (Warner Bros etc) in North LA that day and drive down to Anaheim, which will take another couple of hours. Stay overnight and that's night 5 nights down.

If you then spend 2 full days doing Disney it is unlikely you will want to do the flight that night so that is 7 nights done. Fly to San Francisco the next day and you will lose most of that day, only getting a short time to explore. That's now 8 nights. So you really only have one full day in San Francisco before you have a night to then fly out the next day.

You are going to have little time in any location and lots of long days travelling to get any reasonable time anywhere.

9 nights is really only enough for 2 of the 3 locations because you really don't get the days you are thinking when you add in the travel times. It is very different to Orlando.
Thanks for this I will have a rethink and maybe do 2 of the locations, not sure which to choose!
Old 14 Sep 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I agree with the rest that 3 days in each place sounds very tight on time. My upcoming trip is 10 full days, only in SF and LA/Anaheim, and I'm already having issues fitting everything I want to do in the time frame (and I've been to SF and LA/Anaheim before!).

Also, you mentioned the Easter bank holidays - be aware that Disney and the other theme parks will be very crowded around Easter! But at the same time SF might be less crowded (as no one is likely to have conferences/business events around Easter time).

In terms of flights - I'm flying into SF, then taking a domestic flight down to LA, then back home. Booked with United - this was great as I could book all 3 legs on the same ticket, got free checked bags on the domestic SF-LA flight, and this didn't cost any more than flying into and out of just SF or just LA (so the domestic flight was effectively free). Another option would be booking an open jaw flight (fly into SF and out of LA/etc), and get a domestic flight with Southwest or similar to fly between the cities.
Old 14 Sep 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi as others have said a bit tight for time, in reality 1 extra day would make a huge difference and if possible that's what we think you should do. 2/3 days more would open a whole different plan
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks so much for the feedback this was my thought plan ( may be bonkers)

April 10th fly from London to Vegas - collect car
April 11th Grand Canyon
April 12th Vegas whistle stop!
April 13th drive to Burbank - Hollywood sign - walk of fame
April 14th Warner Bros Studio tour - drive to Anaheim
April 15th Disneyland
April 16th Disneyland
April 17th Fly to San Fran - dropping car at LAX
April 18th Dylan’s Tour and Alcatraz
April 19th San Fran bits then fly home at night

I have priced up flights and car with BA all luggage is included. I know I won’t even scratch the surface, I may love the west coast but may not and appreciate that a lot of travelling involved. If I don’t love it I will appreciate this! It would be for 2 adults and a well travelled 12 year old.