Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 31 May 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Steffib
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile upgrading children to adult DDP

hi, has anyone done this with their kids? I’m considering doing it to maximise my dining plan credits but wondering what the benefits actually are, or is it too much hassle and do you end up micromanaging the dining plan and spending oop for kids meals?
has anyone done it and it’s worked well/not so well
please? How much does the upgrade cost?
any thoughts welcome x
Steffib is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

for the upgrade cost, it will depend on which resort category you're at, and if you're upgrading to the next dining plan category

if you're in a moderate, and stick with free QSDP, or if you're in a deluxe and stick to free DDP, then the upgrade cost will only be the price difference between the child ticket and the adult ticket. (roughly £20)

if you're at a moderate with free QSDP and have upgraded to DDP, then the child to adult cost will be the difference in ticket price + the difference between the value of the child dining plan and the value of the adult dining plan

we have upgraded our son when he was 8. It was mainly to allow him more choice on the menu. But he was lost on him, because in the end he wanted items on the child menu

if your intention is to pay OOP for the child, and use their TS credits for yourself, then it might be worth it. But you need to do the maths based on the price of the restaurants and the price of OOP meals

it's not a hassle, just tell the server that you want to pay OOP for the child

now, also consider that more TS for you means more tipping. So that should also be included in your calculations
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

I've done it the past few times just so that it gives my children a wider option than mac & cheese, Chicken nuggets and pizza. It only costs a few $'s more as its the difference of your adult park tickets to the children's tickets ( approx 20$ )
The children will then decide if they want to eat of the adult menu or the children's menu, if they eat off childs menu and your paying with DDP they will charge you for the adult credit and the tip is worked out accordingly just account for higher tips. This year we have more TS meals than credits so may pay for some child meals OOP
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
HarryPotterGeek
Earning More Ears

Has anyone who has booked with Virgin ever done this? They've told me it isn't possible to upgrade the child ticket to adult, so wondering if it's only if you've booked direct through Disney.
HarryPotterGeek is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by HarryPotterGeek View Post
Has anyone who has booked with Virgin ever done this? They've told me it isn't possible to upgrade the child ticket to adult, so wondering if it's only if you've booked direct through Disney.
Have you booked flights with them? If you have then you won't be able too but if its just accommodation and tickets you should be able too. I always book my flights seperate then go through Disney for accommodation & tickets.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mia1
VIP Dibber

Mia1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have upgraded the previous two trips and have done again for our upcoming one. Much more choice for the children and it only cost us £20 to upgrade from a child to adult ticket thus allowing them the have the adult dining plan and order from adult menus which gave them more choice.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever"
Mia1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

The only downside is things like buffets an evening adult meal costs $60 so your paying out more in tips. If your paying oops then you can still pay the child rate but if using credits then they pay the higher amount.

This wouldn’t be too much if your only doing one of them but if you have a few booked in will increase your costs.
Old 3 Jun 18, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Steffib
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

hi all, thanks so much for everyone’s information. we’re staying at WL, so on the full dining plan. my eldest will be 8 1/2, youngest 6 1/2 so thinking I might upgrade eldest to adult DDP and keep younger on on the kids. That way they can share meals if they want to and also means we’ve got greater choice.
Does anyone know the cost of upgrading from kids to adult DDP please?
Steffib is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 18, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

It’s just the cost different between an adult park ticket and a kids one.
Old 9 Jun 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cjli
First POST

Mobile

I was just thinking about this. We have free DDP at the Beach Club next April. My eldest will be 9.5 yrs so would be better on the adult DDP. I have already entered his DOB on our booking and he is booked as a child, this is a Disney direct booking with no flights. If I call Disney and ask to upgrade him to an adult park ticket will they do it? I know it’s only £20 extra for the park ticket, but obviously the adult DDP vs child DDP costs much more than that. Just want to know if anyone has called Disney and been able to upgrade to adult ticket in these circumstances? Thanks
Cjli is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List