Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Mar 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Steffib
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsCupcake View Post
im hoping to book a 14 night stay at the Poly. ive been busy reading reviews and trying to work out what is best for my family of 5 (2 adults, kids aged 9,8 and 6). We want quality and theming, nothing "too" grown-up/posh which is why we have discounted the Grand. Ideally we would have monorail connection so therefore the poly seems perfect for us. Any thoughts?

Whats the QS food like at the Poly?
Really good. We stayed there for 10 nights in 2017. Capt cooks has great food - often with a South Sea Island slant.
The other, lesser known QS is at the Oasis (quiet) pool and it is really excellent too; sliders, sushi, chicken wraps...light food with delicious cocktails!
Steffib is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsCupcake
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Thanks SteffiB glad the food is good.

Any thoughts on choosing poly over other resorts? Beach club?
MrsCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We are staying at a villa this year for a change but wanted a couple of nights on site booked through rented DVC points. I gave DH and DD (16) the choice of Grand Floridian, Yacht/Beach Club or the Poly. They both said the Poly as have visited all previously for meals or a mooch round. DD said the Grand Floridian was like an old people's home

In the end we couldn't get the Poly due to our request being under the minimum at Dave's so we ended up at Boardwalk Villas which I am pleased about. One thing I am not overly keen about Stormalong Bay is the fact that it is right by a public pathway and if you want to go down the galleon boat slide you have to walk across the path in your cozzie. I know the appeal is the view of the lake and the Boardwalk but would much prefer the pool complex to be a bit more private. As a bigger lady I am self conscious enough about the people round the pool seeing me never mind the world and his wife walking round the late etc
" DD said the Grand Floridian was like an old people's home"

Snap, thats exactly what I thought, I really wasn't that keen but did like the Poly.
Old 10 Mar 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I thought nothing at Disney could beat the BeachClub until we stayed at the Boardwalk !
We stayed in The Boardwalk in 2006 and the Yacht Club in 2011, we're staying in Epcot area again this year in Beach Club with our kids. Having stayed in Boardwalk and Yacht Club I'm interested to know what you feel made The Boardwalk better than Beach Club? I loved The Boardwalk, our room was directly above The Flying Fish sign so could look at the entertainment from balcony at night. I did feel like there wasn't really an 'internal hotel' though, just a reception/lobby and that the amenities were on the boardwalk itself? I always feel Beach Club is more like a hotel in the sense there are internal public areas and then the restaurants and pool etc. seem great. What were your thoughts?
·1991 Polynesian ·1999 Villa ·2001 Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa ·2005 Port Orleans French Quarter ·2006 Boardwalk Inn ·2007 Polynesian ·2009 Contemporary Resort ·2010 Yacht Club ·2012 Buena Vista Palace ·2015 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2018 Polynesian & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2019 Beach Club ·2022 Beach Club, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa & Hard Rock Hotel ·2023 Yacht Club & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoNick
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We are staying at a villa this year for a change but wanted a couple of nights on site booked through rented DVC points. I gave DH and DD (16) the choice of Grand Floridian, Yacht/Beach Club or the Poly. They both said the Poly as have visited all previously for meals or a mooch round. DD said the Grand Floridian was like an old people's home

In the end we couldn't get the Poly due to our request being under the minimum at Dave's so we ended up at Boardwalk Villas which I am pleased about. One thing I am not overly keen about Stormalong Bay is the fact that it is right by a public pathway and if you want to go down the galleon boat slide you have to walk across the path in your cozzie. I know the appeal is the view of the lake and the Boardwalk but would much prefer the pool complex to be a bit more private. As a bigger lady I am self conscious enough about the people round the pool seeing me never mind the world and his wife walking round the late etc

I agree that the pool slide across the public pathway is not ideal. It felt strange to me, dripping wet in a swimming costume, having to walk past people who were off to the park. I would have preferred more privacy and although I would certainly advise others not to worry I did feel self conscious myself. My children were younger then so it wasn't very relaxing because I had to be more aware that they were on a public pathway.

I agree with other posters that the Boardwalk / Y&BC area is a great location. Being in such close proximity to two parks without having to get on a bus is a real bonus (you can easily walk to Epcot and hop on a Friendship boat to Hollywood Studios).
OrlandoNick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List