Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report shame about the weather x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The marathon and the parade blocked you today. Although it feels a bit like a wasted day to watch a movie in your room when you could be in the parks it doesn't seem like you had much choice but to call it a day in the end.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Cali Grill brunch, I loved it too. I had the same main as you and I agree with your review as it wasn't quite the spectacular dish I was hoping it would be. We had ordered blueberry pancakes 'for the table' and these were fab so made up for it. Plus I'd had some pretty hefty buffet plates. I know that feeling walking out the Contemporary after the meal. I couldn't have faced a park though, or that walk back to MK. I just wanted to dose, I'm not surprised Andy had a little snooze.

I'm liking the toilet reviews now I know where to go for the best toilet paper in WDW. I'm looking forward to some more of those and hoping for a return of the tater tots. It feels like ages since you ate any and yet we're only on day 4.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Steffib
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

absolutely loving your report!
Steffib is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

In impressed you made it into the park at all today,what with marathon runners and then all that food! I think all I would be good for us a nap!

Another great day. Looking forward to reading more.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Great report.

The Cali Grill Brunch looks fab. I'm looking forward to trying it in the summer. I'm with you about the moaners, why go somewhere if there is nothing you can eat? #

I love the Contemporary, for more than just the quality loo roll. We stayed there at Christmas and it is now tied with Yacht Club as my favourite resort.
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

We did California Grill brunch (OOP 😱 for Mat’s 40th) a couple of years ago and we also felt the buffet was much better than the entrees, and I’ve read other reviews on here saying the same thing.

By the way, as a vegan I can confirm that dairy free cream cheese is a thing. It’s usually quite sweet as it’s often made with coconut oil and it doesn’t really do anything for me.

I have to admit I was laughing out loud from the Carousel Of Progress separation all through the slipping and sliding at Space Mountain. Ahh the memories we make at WDW.

The Space Mountain exit refurbishment was pretty much complete on our February trip after the fun and games of crossing the rail tracks last year. They’ve put in a posh new indoor exit ramp which looks really nice. However it does seem to take even longer than it did before to get from the undignified climb out of the ride vehicle to the gift shop.

I’m the same, I always wonder why people eat and watch TV in their hotel rooms on WDW trips but sometimes rain halts play and it sounds like you had a nice relaxing evening.

Brilliant report as always Helen, thanks for sharing.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Joosebug1987
Very Serious Dibber

Oh... my... god! That Brunch looks incredible! I'm surprised you didn't go back there for the evening for fireworks as we are booking a meal there just for the privilege!

I think I'd have needed a nap after all that booze! One for a future trip I think.

Glad you enjoyed the loo roll lol! x
Joosebug1987 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Brunch sounds lovely, shame it was such a faff to get there
Andy and his peanuts
The brunch was well worth the hassle. And yes, the glee from finding the peanuts was probably akin to the reaction he'd give if offered an advance preview of Galaxy's Edge!

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Pesky marathon runners! How annoying! I had already planned to this year to walk to Epcot and get the monorail to MK, cos anything to avoid buses and the people on them!

Well your selfie where you are meant to look a sweaty mess, I think you look lovely!

Ahh that brunch looks far too posh for me and far too much fish! Haha! I had the blackberry lemonade when we had dinner there, was yummy!
And the family next to you? Shaking my head massively. Sue Disney? For what exactly? Idiots!

Wait. They don’t let you take photos in HoP? I took loads last year….

So so funny that you ended up on different rows at CoP!

Hehehe I did chuckle at the image of you slipping all over the place in your wet flip flops. Reminds me of the time that happened to Chris in AK and he was in full on rage mode!

Aww that rain looked mental, a wise idea to abandon ship! It's ok to have a night in now and then!

Thanks for sharing, loved it! xxx
There was a lot of fish at the brunch - I was in fishy heaven. Lots of cheese too, hehe.

No, no photos allowed in HoP! I think maybe since there were so many blog posts saying that the Trump animatronic looked like Hillary in a really bad wig...

Slippy flip flops are a standard part of any WDW holiday. Funnily enough I was wearing the same ones when I was staggering to my hotel in the rain in London this week, had forgotten how bad they were.

Glad you're loving the report!

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Brilliantly written day! Loved it

I'm tempted to try the CG brunch next trip (it's my birthday while we are there so anything I really want to do that hubby isn't keen on or is massively expensive can be passed off as a birthday treat..I'm sure that's how it works )

Loving your report
Thank you. Honestly, the brunch was brilliant, one of the best things we did all trip. And if it's your birthday and not his then it is a no brainer! You won't regret it!

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Really enjoying your report, the "warts and all" style makes me smile- we're here now and, whilst we're having a fantastic time overall, there's definitely been a few "too hot, too crowded, small child grumpiness moments" to break up the magic
Thank you - hope you had an amazing trip - small-child-grumpiness moments aside!

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Oh those pesky marathon runners, what a stressful start to the day!

Ok so I didn't know that Cali Grill brunch was bottomless! I think I would struggle with the food given the lack of sweet items available but that would totally be cancelled out by the unlimited booze! This may have to wait for a few years yet though... I don't want to be that family that come in with a hyperactive small child and disturb the zen!

I have never been inside the Contemporary, I am very much wanting to visit now though just to check out their loo roll

How nice to have a lazy evening in, with all that rain it was definitely the best option. And if it gave Andy a chance to scoff his nuts then all the better!

Such a great installment as always!
Oh there were lots of sweet things available, pastries, crepe suzette, pancakes etc., but you know me, a beeline for anything savoury. Never had sushi for breakfast before. You should go one time. Come for the brunch, stay for the loo roll.

LOL at Andy scoffing his nuts, yup...

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Another great day. The meal is quite good value when you consider that you didn’t have to really eat anything else all day and free booze - what more can I say.
Well exactly. It practically pays for itself
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jojo_3596 View Post
Really fancying the Cali grill brunch for our next trip. Did you struggle getting the ADR at all? Thinking we might not have quite the same relaxed 2.5 hr experience as you with three kids, but we might get away with it as long as the wifi is working! Well done on making it to MK after- think I'd have had to go and have a lie down! Another fab day, your reports are my fave. Looking forward to the next instalment x
The brunch was the first thing I went for when the reservations opened. I was a little worried as we went Weds-Weds so I was concerned that I was later than others to that first Sunday. IIRC, there were two slots left so it was OK. I did try and move it forwards by an hour or so later on but no joy.

In hindsight, we should have gone back for a nap! That afternoon in MK was a proper slog...

Originally Posted by Toff Princess View Post
I despise Marathons (in any country and you can add in cycling events) that organisers impose on busy areas. Good cause but do it somewhere else for gawds sake!

The brunch sounds amazing aside from the horrible table who clearly just wanted a free meal. I hate people like that! Such downers!

You actually look very pretty if a bit hot and bothered on that monorail pic!
Haha, yes, we definitely felt the brunt of the marathon chaos and I have no idea how the runners coped in that humidity as I was having a mare just walking.

And thank you!

Originally Posted by summersun View Post
great report shame about the weather x
There's always a rainy day, luckily we just had the one - and it was needed!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The marathon and the parade blocked you today. Although it feels a bit like a wasted day to watch a movie in your room when you could be in the parks it doesn't seem like you had much choice but to call it a day in the end.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Cali Grill brunch, I loved it too. I had the same main as you and I agree with your review as it wasn't quite the spectacular dish I was hoping it would be. We had ordered blueberry pancakes 'for the table' and these were fab so made up for it. Plus I'd had some pretty hefty buffet plates. I know that feeling walking out the Contemporary after the meal. I couldn't have faced a park though, or that walk back to MK. I just wanted to dose, I'm not surprised Andy had a little snooze.

I'm liking the toilet reviews now I know where to go for the best toilet paper in WDW. I'm looking forward to some more of those and hoping for a return of the tater tots. It feels like ages since you ate any and yet we're only on day 4.
I was really torn over whether to get some "table" pancakes and I wish I had now- if we are lucky enough to do the brunch again, I shall definitely be steering clear of the eggs benedict.

You're welcome re the loo roll. You're about the third person to say that here so this report is clearly hitting the mark

Oh and the tots make a welcome return in the next instalment...
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Steffib View Post
absolutely loving your report!
I'm so glad to hear that -thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
In impressed you made it into the park at all today,what with marathon runners and then all that food! I think all I would be good for us a nap!

Another great day. Looking forward to reading more.
In hindsight, I am pretty impressed too. I think I overestimated how easy it would be to walk off the brunch!

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Great report.

The Cali Grill Brunch looks fab. I'm looking forward to trying it in the summer. I'm with you about the moaners, why go somewhere if there is nothing you can eat? #

I love the Contemporary, for more than just the quality loo roll. We stayed there at Christmas and it is now tied with Yacht Club as my favourite resort.
Thank you - hope you enjoy the brunch (and the loo roll) - we loved it. The Contemporary has really grown on me as a resort over the years, we would love to stay there.

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
We did California Grill brunch (OOP 😱 for Mat’s 40th) a couple of years ago and we also felt the buffet was much better than the entrees, and I’ve read other reviews on here saying the same thing.

By the way, as a vegan I can confirm that dairy free cream cheese is a thing. It’s usually quite sweet as it’s often made with coconut oil and it doesn’t really do anything for me.

I have to admit I was laughing out loud from the Carousel Of Progress separation all through the slipping and sliding at Space Mountain. Ahh the memories we make at WDW.

The Space Mountain exit refurbishment was pretty much complete on our February trip after the fun and games of crossing the rail tracks last year. They’ve put in a posh new indoor exit ramp which looks really nice. However it does seem to take even longer than it did before to get from the undignified climb out of the ride vehicle to the gift shop.

I’m the same, I always wonder why people eat and watch TV in their hotel rooms on WDW trips but sometimes rain halts play and it sounds like you had a nice relaxing evening.

Brilliant report as always Helen, thanks for sharing.

Yes, to be honest, I think they could do away with the entrees (although I hope they don't as we are greedy) and just keep the buffet and I would still pay the price. The quality of everything there was just outstanding.

Thanks for letting me know about vegan cream cheese! Seems Disney really have a handle on being able to cater for everyone - despite what the couple next to us seemed to think.

Yes, I hear you on the undignified climb in and out of the Space Mountain vehicles. I always think it is going to zoom off with me half in and out, and for the same reason, I would never wear a skirt to MK!