Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 May 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Arrow The Magnificent Seven - April 2018 - Day 4 - Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs inc Homecomin'

Day 3 is here

Tuesday 10th April

We were woken this morning at 5am by the sound of thunder. We both got up to watch a bit of the storm! Chris went back to bed after a while, but I wasn’t tired (9pm bed time remember), so I just stayed up and had some Mega Stuf Oreos I also put on the coffee for when Chris resurfaced!

Chris got up again at 7 and Jake wasn’t far behind. We had breakfast in the villa consisting of pop parts for Jake, toast for Chris and cinnamon swirl toast for me which was unbelievably tasty.

The weather looked to have improved slightly since 5am, but we were confident the rain would come today. I think the forecast said something like 90% chance. Perfect day for Animal Kingdom…..

We carried on regardless and left the villa at 8.20am. As we got closer to Disney the sky darkened.

We arrived at AK at 8.40am and parked in Dinosaur 37.

We walked to the entrance (keeping everything crossed the heavens didn’t open) and we caught our first glimpse of the (finally) finished Pandora.

We noticed on our walk to the car that Jake was sporting a rather dashing look of socks and sandals! He had put trainers on this morning, but I told him he'd be better in sandals due to the forecast rain. He obviously forgot to take off his socks tough! What an affront We found a bench and quickly rectified the situation!

Once we were through the entrance Chris went off to the toilet so Jake and I went to have a look at the flamingos.

Chris must not have seen us as the next thing I know he is texting asking where we are. Oops. So off we trundled to meet him at the bridge into Africa.

Pretty Africa

We then walked round to Asia which was spookily quiet! Guess everyone was over at Pandora trying to get on Flight of Passage!

The sun was trying its best to come out…..

In case you hadn’t guessed, our first FastPass was for Expedition Everest. Now, in 2015 Jake didn’t even contemplate going on this, but today he was 100% up for it! He didn’t even hesitate as we headed for the entrance. He seemed a tiny bit nervous, but he was also excited

And the verdict? He LOVED it. I thought he might freak a bit when it shot backwards and all the twisty bits in the dark, but he was ok! I think he had his eyes shut inside though as he said he never saw the yeti

He was just buzzing and clearly very proud of himself! We were so proud of him too, what a difference in 2 and a half years I decided to treat him to one of those "I conquered Everest" t-shirts, which you'll see a bit later on.

As we were exiting the area Jake saw the sign for Dinoland USA and asked what was there. I said "That dinosaur ride where you go back in time, remember? You hated it last time and cried all the way through it?" and to my absolute astonishment he replied with "Hmm, but I'm feeling brave, so I think we should do it" Okay dok then! Let's go! I was pretty sure once he got there and the sight of it triggered his memory, he would bail, but nope! He kept on going!

It was a walk on, so within no time we were sat in the time rover! He wanted to hold both our hands, think the nerves were kicking in now! Bless! He told us afterwards that he still didn’t like it, but that it wasn’t as scary as he remembered. He did shut his eyes a few times, but there were no hysterical tears this time! What a trooper for wanting to go back on something that had traumatised him in the past!

Chris still maintains that he hates this ride, he thinks it's too noisy and chaotic. This upsets me greatly as its one of my faves!

Anyway, after that Chris needed the loo so Jake and I had did a circuit of the dinosaur trail thing...

A few minutes later Chris came running for us to tell us that Donald was out for a meet and greet with hardly any queue, so off we went!

[continued in next post]
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903

Redrach1903's Reviews
[continued from previous post]

The rain had started now, but it wasn’t anything too disastrous. Yet. We were feeling peckish so we walked back to Africa for a snack!

The boys had a croissant and I had an elephant ear pastry which was super-duper yummy and sticky

As we were enjoying our snacks we heard some really loud thunder claps, so Chris did his usual and made us wait in the shelter just in case there was lightning overhead.

Once Chris had declared it safe, we carried on with our day! Our next FP was for Kilimanjaro Safaris!

By the time the safari truck set off it was proper raining!

I was hoping that would make for a good safari as the animals can often hide in the shade when it's too hot. I was right, as we saw loads!

I don’t think giraffes like the rain though, they were all huddled up near the back!

We got cracking views of the elephants including a wee baby

We also were super close to the rhinos!

And for the first time in allllll the safaris we have been on the cheetah was actually moving around and we saw it properly!

Warthog

Now, let's test your knowledge of zebras. If you have been on the safari before you should know the answer! Are zebras white with black stripes or black with white stripes? See the end of the report for the answer and if that doesn’t keep you reading I don’t know what will

So all in all a very enjoyable safari! The only slight annoyance was our driver's Darth Vader style breathing

As we exited the heavens well and truly opened. It was that epic Florida rain that we all know and love so well! We made a dash for shelter at the entrance to Gorilla Falls! They wouldn’t let us in properly, but we were allowed to stay under the wee roof, so that's what we did in the hope it would ease off soon! It didn't; this was where we stood, huddled in amongst a few other families, for AN HOUR. Look at it….

This is what Accuweather had to say about the next wee while….

Since it didn’t seem to be stopping any time soon we made the decision to make a bolt for it. It was a bit lighter at least! We ran to the nearest shop and purchased ponchos!

Check these two stunners

The next stop was for lunch and more precisely, Yak & Yeti

The foyer was VERY crowded as I expect people had the idea of running in for a bite to eat to escape the weather. Hidden Mickey alert….

Before this trip I had finally purchased a Landry Card. I explained to Chris the benefits, but I think he was sceptical when I said we'd get shown to a table straight away. Looking at the crowds waiting, I don’t blame him! However, a quick flash of my app (I forgot the actual card, doh) and we were being led upstairs to a table. TA DA! Like magic! See ya later suckers

Our server was Sherri and she was so lovely, friendly and chatty! A proper Disney CM if you get what I mean!

So, food! I ordered pork egg rolls and Lo Mein with chicken, Chris ordered wonton soup and chicken tikka masala and Jake went for chicken tenders with rice! Excuse the ropey photos!

Everything was delicious. Those egg rolls were every bit as good as I remembered

I nipped downstairs to the loo and when I came back I found Chris looking utterly bemused because the manager had come over to ask if everything was ok! This is standard for Landry Card customers, but I have to say I don’t quite get it! It was all a bit awkward if I'm honest haha! Anyhoo, we paid the bill which, minus the $25 on my account, was $67 + tip. I totally didn’t realise that the birthday reward expires btw! So I should have had $50 on my account! Oh well! You live and learn!

Chris and Jake nipped to the loo before we left, so I waited outside for them. The rain had eased off to just a wee drizzle by now, so that was a relief!

[continued in next post]

Edited at 07:35 AM.
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903

Redrach1903's Reviews

We then started heading for Pandora: World of Avatar. We were side tracked by Timone though.

This was such a great meet! He was trying to copy Jake's hair and it was just adorable. Jake's was so chuffed and was talking about it for days after

Ok, Pandora time! Woo! I was a bit gutted that the weather was so pants today as I had imagined seeing it for the first time in brilliant sunshine, blue skies etc. I needn’t have worried though as it still blew us away. The detail in there is phenomenal and I am so glad I watched the movie before I went as I totally "got it". It's really little wonder it took them so long to complete because it really is outstanding theming!

Even the floor has top notch theming!

I mean, look how pretty!

Not sure I took quite enough photos?

We had a FastPass for Na'vi River Journey. I love how even the FP scanners are themed!

The ride is beautiful and immersive. It's not exciting by any stretch of the imagination of course, but it was lovely nonetheless. A ride I would happily repeat, but not queue for if you get what I mean!

The animatronic at the end is next level!

Before we left we got a soggy moss wall photo….

….and a couple of Photo Passes.

Oh and we saw these guys marching past. No idea what they were off to do!

We exited via Rainforest Café for a quick nosey in the gift shop, but left empty handed. We then walked back to the car. It was still raining, but was only lightly.

We got back to the villa around 3pm and we all enjoyed a donut

A nap was required for me, so I had a lie down for an hour before starting to get ready for the evening! I don’t know what the boys got up to as I didn’t write it down! Anyway, we were ready again and out the door by 5.50pm. Jake was sporting his new t-shirt

Tonight we were heading to Disney Springs! We arrived at 6.13pm and parked in Orange, L3, Row 6. Sometimes my note taking is a little too precise

We had a walk through the Town Center.

We were very pleased to note that the rain was now over and the forecast for the rest of the week was delightful

[continued in next post]
Old 29 May 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903

Redrach1903's Reviews

We had a quick look in The Disney Corner, but it's mostly kiddy stuff. As I said the other day, it’s a temporary space for the closed section of World of Disney!

And then into one of our faves shops in Disney Springs Bloomin' love this place!

I spotted these glorious t-shirts! Lotso is my fave Disney villain so I just had to have it I know he's a bad bear, but he's so squishy and smells so good This cost a measly $14.99!

Chris bought himself 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of comfy lounging shorts and 2 "easy" shorts which are lightweight shorts that he absolutely loves! He said they are the comfiest shorts ever! All that cost him just $95. This shop is so fab!

I just googled easy shorts in case anyone is wondering what they look like……

We then took a nice slow stroll round to Homecomin' for our ADR.

We checked in and were given a buzzer. It was reallllly busy. We waited outside where Jake eyed up the menu!

After 20 minutes we were finally called!

Moonshine anyone?

The kids menu had a big space on the back for drawing, so Jake set about creating his dream football team!

Grown up alert! The chairs here are really comfy! Chris and I both commented on that! Shows our age, huh?

Our server came over and explained all about Art Smith and how he was Oprah Winfrey's personal chef for 10 years! I did not know that! Anyway, I ordered the fried chicken and donuts (I'd know for months this was what I was ordering!), Chris ordered the harvest salad (alien) and Jake fancied a cheeseburger!

When mine came out I soon realised they had given me the chicken dinner instead of the chicken with donuts. The server apologised and said "would you mind if I brought you out a side of donuts instead of a whole new meal? You actually get more chicken with this meal anyway!". I said that was totally fine even though the amount of chicken on my plate was slightly intimidating! Haha!

Everything was so fresh and tasty! The chicken was so tender and that mash was delicious. And the donuts Jake said his burger was the best he's ever had haha! Chris enjoyed his salad too, but I had to laugh at him cos he'd ordered the salad cos he felt like he needed a break from junk food, but he proceeded to pinch food off mine and Jake's plates!

We were all done by 7.50pm and paid up ($72 + tip). It was starting to get dark and Disney Springs was looking beautiful as ever.

We just wondered around popping into various shops, but not actually buying anything else.

I did seriously consider buying this dress, but decided in the end that it was maybe a bit too short!

See?

The Lego shop is my idea of hell. I swiftly exited and went outside to take pics!

We stopped by the Sprinkles ATM machine which, in all honesty, was more for the novelty rather than actually wanting a cupcake!

It was all very exciting

The plan had been to have a couple of drinks at House of Blues, but we were so uncomfortably full from tea that we decided to give it a skip, so we just walked a bit more. There was a lovely vibe with lots of entertainment going on!

We left around 8.45pm and Jake had the hiccups allllll the way home! We got in around 9.15 and I dug out the cupcake immediately! I had chosen a Banana chocolate one and it was sooooooooooo fine!

Jake went off to bed at 9.30pm. Chris and I stayed up a wee bitty longer, but not by much! Think we were bedded just after 10!

Steps today – 20,579 (9 miles exactly!)

Thanks for reading Tomorrow we go back to AK to ride Flight of Passage and we visit Port Orleans Riverside in the evening.

Oh and the answer to the zebra question is – they are black with white stripes. You can tell because they have black noses Well done if you got it right

Day 5 is here

Edited at 11:00 PM.
Old 29 May 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mamie Baldwin
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh that encounter with Timon was so cute and I need a Lotso tee now!
Mamie Baldwin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Great report as ever, I love all the detail you tell us about
Looking forward to more
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Daza
slightly serious Dibber

Loving all your trip reports!
May 15th Homewood Suites near Universal.
Daza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Great trip report as always 👍🏻

Was going to ask about Pandora, but then I saw that you do it next 😁
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Have to say, I’m really loving your reports, so much detail and such great photos, please keep them coming!

I didn’t know chef Art Smith was Oprah’s personal chef, that explains a lot!

Well done to Jake for conquering Everest; loved his t≈≈≈≈! Uniqlo is also one our favs; hubby owns a couple pairs of those shorts and loves them too, great choice.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Another great trip report and some great images too
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List