Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
samx57
Proud to wear my Ears

Driving from Vegas to GC, Bryce Canyon + Monument Valley

Hello everyone,

I'm after any information involving driving to Zions, GC, Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley.

Has anyone done this before? do you have any tips? Trip reports?

Do i need any special insurance?

I have driven in Florida before so know a bit about driving in America.
samx57 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It is a beautiful area and highly recommend it. You don’t need any special insurance and it is less busy than driving in Florida.

I have a trip report called Cacti and Canyons which visits all those areas. After we left Zion we did 3 days in Vegas which is not on the report as I just didn’t like it. I know others do but I really didn’t so never got round to writing those 3 days, but there are lots of good Vegas reports to read. Another good report for Zion, Bryce and GC is CrispyA’s report called Go West.

I would say if you like getting out and walking, make sure you spend enough time in each National Park. I wished we had ditched Vegas and spent more time in Zion.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
samx57
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thank you for your reply.

I will check out your report.

I'm thinking of spending 2 days at Zion and grand Canyon and 1 day at Bryce Canyon then we will have 6 days in vegas
samx57 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We did a similar trip a few years ago (2014). We actually drove from LA (after two nights at Huntingdon Beach) rather than Vegas so it was a long start, but worth it. We took inspiration from the Grand Circle itinerary on the Utah dot com site (I’m not allowed to link).

We did two nights in Zion (recommend Oscars outside the park for food, we stayed in the Hampton not far from there) - drove to Bryce for two days/one night before ending day two in Torrey (recommend The Broken Spur Inn and Steakhouse - amazing dinner and clear starry skies) - then we drove via Capitol Reef NP to Moab, from where we saw Canyonlands and Arches National Parks - then to Monument Valley (we stayed at the hotel in the valley) for a night, then went to Page to do Lake Powell, a boat trip on the Colorado river and a slot canyon Hummer visit - and we finished up at the Grand Canyon.

(Well actually after that we went to Disneyland since we were flying out of LA )

If I did it again (and we are talking about it) I’d spend more than 1 night in Moab so we could have more than a couple of hours in Arches.

I’d also probably start from Vegas to cut driving time, but we did a couple of days there on our honeymoon so I’d probably just stay overnight after the flight. I’m not a huge fan of Vegas but glad I’ve done it once.

Edited at 03:18 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We are doing Vegas,Bryce,Zion,Vegas in a couple of weeks time we did GC and MV on a previous trip. I got ideas for our upcoming trip from the above mentioned trip reports.
The View hotel is the best place to stay in MV the views from all the rooms are spectacular and definitely a stay on site at the GC to see the sunrise (well worth getting up early for) and sunset. We have visited Vegas several times before and are only staying a night each end of our trip due to flight times.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List