Old 4 Jun 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Solo from Southampton - day 3 Stavanger

I wake up about 7.30am, and the boat is still moving, I turn the TV on and watch the bow camera for a bit, we’re close.

I get a little bit of signal and check the weather, dry all day, hurray, the forecast has been dreadful in the lead up.

I get myself dressed and pack milk and water and head to one of the main dining rooms, the Oriental again for breakfast. I get a nice bunch again, one lady I recognise but can’t place, she works on the tills in our local Asda. I have the same as yesterday except the potatoes which were a bit oniony for me. So sausage, bacon, egg, beans and fried bread. I get coffee and add my own milk and I order a pineapple juice. The breakfasts are pretty good and I think I’ll try to do the waiter service every day.

I don’t fancy another coffee and head straight off the boat, we are in Stavanger today. I hear there are a selection of good museums but don’t believe they are open until 10 and it’s only just gone 9.

I walk into the old town just randomly, and it’s lovely, so clean and well kept with beautiful white wooden buildings.

I end up at the Canning museum and they have opened it early, so I head in. This costs me 95nok, so about £8. It also includes entrance to several other museums in the town though, including the Maritime museum.

I decline a free guided tour initially, as I’m the only person there, but soon loads of people have arrived, and I tag onto theirs, it’s small, but actually very interesting and I enjoy my visit.

I’m on the lookout for souvenirs, usually when I go away I get my DH a souvenir from each place, but a quick glance at the souvenirs in here and the prices, gives me an indication this may not occur this trip.

I continue walking round the town, and see a lake on my map next to the cathedral, my calves are aching from the stairs I have been walking, so decide to walk round the whole lake as it’s not too big, to give them a stretch. There are massive groups of Norwegian kiddies out and about in their high vis walking the lake. They must do this as part of school.

From here I stroll through a little market, I look at the Alpaca wool jumpers for DH but it’s summer and they are £120.

I wander along the front, looking at the other ships in port, and stumble across the Maritime museum so I head in as it’s free with my ticket and I need a wee. I enjoy this a lot, but it’s a shame only about a third of the exhibits have English descriptions, I would have stayed much longer if they were, but it’s still a worthwhile little mooch.

It’s here I find a perfect souvenir for DH, special Norwegian BBQ sauce, ideal as he loves the stuff. I enquire to be told it’s the equivalent on £21 a bottle.. haha haha. It goes back on the shelf.

At this point, it’s nearly 12, and I’m getting hungry, I decide to head back to the ship but I pass a couple of specific souvenir shops, the first was one good, and I manage to pick up 2 pairs of long socks with a plaid pattern and discreet moose on them, these will be ideal for DH in the winter with his wellies and they only cost £7 for the 2 pairs as they were BOGOF. I was pleased with this, on the way out I also spotted a moose fridge magnet and bottle opener that would have gone down well, as we both like moose, but the queue is massive and I figure I still have 3 more ports and I only need one thing per port.

I also spot some friends...

Back on board I decide to stop at Java. I have my milk but they make me a cappuccino with almond milk from the fridge no problem. I’m not sure if I just got bad servers yesterday, or if reception have had it put in the fridge after I spoke to them about it, as it seems not all of them know about it. It comes with a lovely chocolate orange biscotti.

I decide it’s time for lunch, so head to the nearest main dining room. I’m sat at a table with others who have already ordered. I order a hot smoked salmon tart with fries which was nice. I was hoping for a wine but they don’t come round to take orders. I get cheese and biscuits after which are really yummy, I get to choose which cheeses and crackers I want which is a really nice touch.

After lunch I head to Brodie’s and order a glass of rose. I’m not really sure what to do, there are two more museums in Stavanger, the city museum which is included in my canning museum entrance and the petroleum museum which isn’t.

I decide on the whole i’m museumed out though. I also have to be back on board at 4 and the city museum is a bit of a walk away.

There is a film on at 2 but I really fancy phoning DH as I haven’t spoken to him in a couple of days, so I grab a second wine and head back to my cabin for a rest and a read of my book whilst waiting for him to get home.

I’m completely stumped as to what to do tonight, there is both a rock and roll evening in the main theatre, and a comedian/impressionist in Manhattan. I’ve never seen Bohemian Rhapsody either and that’s being shown outside at 7 and 9.30. It’s whether I can make it to nearly midnight when the film will finish.

I phone DH who is now home from work and we have a lovely chat, I really enjoy it and it’s lovely to hear that they are both just fine.

I decide I literally cannot be bothered getting dressed up for dinner, I’m in a skirt and leggings anyway so just put on a black top and swap my flip flops for ballet pumps. I head up to the planet bar on the 18th floor with the panoramic windows and watch sail away, everyone has the same idea but I eventually get a perch at the bar, the view is a bit restricted but I order a Prosecco and they have a duo singing/playing. I decide to read and relax until I feel hungry.

The complimentary snacks make me feel slightly hungry so I head down to a main dining room, I decide to ask for a table to myself tonight, they indicate a 45-60 minute wait so I head to Brodie’s and get a wine and water and wait.

My buzzer goes after about 30 minutes and I’m glad I waited, I get a beautiful table with a lovely view of the sea. I don’t mind sharing sometimes but I find the tables for 8 a bit much.

I order the Dutch chicken croquettes which are really nice, I expected mashed potato in them but they are all breaded chicken breast, yum.

I then order the mince and chickpea soup to try it. I find the courses in here are small on purpose to try to trying more things. I have a bread roll with some lovely salted butter and I enjoy the soup.

I understand they are trying to hurry me on, but I’m hanging in there, the food is nice, the nicest meal I have had on board so far and it’s included. I match my wines roughly myself and enjoy watching the waves and eating as slowly as I can.

I have the lamb leg for main. This is where is falls apart slightly as the meat is hideous, dry and over cooked and full of gristle, the man on the table next to me agreed completely and left his too. The waiter here noticed immediately on seeing me and offered me something else; but I had eaten all the veg including cauli cheese which was really tasty.

I order champagne sorbet as a palate cleanser then cheese.

Both are really nice and I love getting to choose the cheeses/crackers again, digestives are my fave, no Brie tonight but I try a sticky toffee cheese which is rich but incredible. I decline coffee but they bring me the dark chocolate mint anyway which is a lovely touch.

I have really enjoyed this dinner, certainly the most of this cruise so far, I just know to maybe order chicken as it’s possibly safer. I am fussy about red meat being cooked well done, or fat in meat, I thought I was safe as the menu listed this as being served medium rare.

I decide against the headline entertainment, I find that pure singing and dancing a bit cheesy; so head to Manhattan for the comedian/impressionist.

It’s very busy, clearly the rock and roll evening hasn’t been a winner but I manage to squish in a corner.

I’m not that tired; so I decide to grab my coat on the way, then head to the sea screen. The impressionist got to the final of BGT (Jon Clegg) but I find him a bit silly for me maybe. The kids and elderly seemed to lap him up though, I did enjoy the 30 mins I stayed though.

I got a drink and nabbed a sun bed and a couple of blankets. It’s 9.30 but completely light. In my coat and under 2 blankets I’m toasty enough.

I am so very tempted to get my cossie and watch it from the jacuzzi, but I’m worried they’ll close it mid way through, or I’ll get overheated.

I really enjoy the film, but the sound is a bit quiet in the wind, so some of the key talky bits get lost, but I still stay to the end. It’s very choppy now outside but the boat is still hardly moving.

I get to the end, I feel I have missed the subtleties but it’s nice being outside, it’s nearly midnight and still fully light. It’s really odd and I’m glad I have an inside cabin.

I walk through the buffet on the way to the stairs, I look at the late night snacks but I’m not hungry, just greedy.

Edited at 12:31 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Updated with photos x
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Fab photos! Stavanger looks so pretty, I nevr imagined it to be so quaint!

And your food photos too looks good (apart from the lamb)

It is weird when it stays so light so late, we found it surreal.

I think you are warming to this cruise now?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Stavanger looks so pretty!

Shame you are not enjoying all the food but I hope you are having a good time regardless!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another good day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List