Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Jul 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Autumn Daze
Proud to wear my Ears

HS Fastpass post September

It was our Fastpass day today and we got everything we planned for, so that was great. However, as you’ll all know, the changes of tiers at Hollywood Studios made those selections quite difficult. I understand Disney are doing what they can to give guests as good a shot at getting on rides post Galaxys Edge opening as possible, but with the movement of rides into tier 1 it means we had to book a number of tier 2 rides for each day we plan on visiting, most of which we have no intention of using or will tap in merely to move on to the next available tier 1, when possible.

On our upcoming trip we have five days set aside for HS, and given the choice in tier 2 we opted for Star Tours for each of those days. We’ll likely do that ride once, meaning we are using up fastpasses for four days which could have gone to a family who wanted them. I’d imagine many others are doing similar also, which only makes it worse for other guests who do want those passes.

Just seems a strange solution to me, not that I have much in way of alternative options to offer. I’d slowly come to terms with the likelihood the parks would be much busier than expected when we booked, similarly having to get myself feeling okay about many early mornings with the EEMH, but now this change has taken the shine off even further.

I know it seems strange, and I’m grateful we get to go to Disney World at all, but I think the way Disneyland was handled was so much better than the options they’ve provided to WDW and it’s disappointed me.

I don’t want this to be a moan post, but also at the same time I wanted to speak my mind a bit. Of course we’ll make the holiday as good as it can be but it’s frustrating me that it seems this sour even to begin with!
Autumn Daze is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I agree with you completely.
It doesnt make alot of sense to move TOT and RnR to tier 1 at all. Because, well, it doesnt leave many left on tier 1. I've had to rethink all my fasspasses, and much like you am just wasting them to get back to tier 1.
I dont think its going to help with the GE thing like they assume it will at all.

DVC member since Sept '18
Youtube - Kymmieakiss
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Chester Cheesy
Helping Minnie

Chester Cheesy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm with you. GE opening, magic hours everywhere, HS rides move to Tier has totally screwed up our plans. Mostly because I like to plan everything as much as possible and these changes mean so many unknowns and guesses as to what the queues and crowds will be like.
From 28th through to end of Labour Day weekend I am really struggling to decide which park on which day.
It annoyed me for a while but now I'm clearing my head and what will be will be - if somewhere is mad busy, we'll park hop, and if it's that bad everywhere head back to the villa and jump in the pool. Luckily we have our second week to manage fastpasses and ride the main rides.

I am with you though. It seems Disney are doing their best to try and level out the crowds but I do think this could have been done so much better.
Old 15 Jul 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

It seems so pointless having to reserve rides you don't even want. I picked rides near where I'll be just to tap in and walk away (probably stopping someone else from doing it, which I'm not really comfortable with). Disney has made me selfish which I don't appreciate
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I just ended up not booking any FPs at HS at all as I didn't see the point of wasting two FPs. We're not into Star Wars at all so we'll probably not even try getting into GE so we'll hopefully get a lot done during the EEMHs and then leave to another park.

I have no idea what off site guests are supposed to do at HS, given they can only enter three hours late and will only be guaranteed one ride that's actually worth it (sorry Star Tours).
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

On Friday when I do my FP selections we will be booking Tier 2 Fastpasses just for the sake of it, to allow us to start booking other FP's. It's madness and I really struggle to understand the mentality of the change. Surely they realise there will be hundreds of wasted Tier 2 FP's?

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
skintc
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Hipstalike View Post
I just ended up not booking any FPs at HS at all as I didn't see the point of wasting two FPs.
This raises an interesting thought. If you only pre-booked a tier 1 FP then you would still have to book 2 tier 2 FPs on the day before you could try for another tier 1.

But if you didn't pre-book any FPs, then would you be able to book a Tier 1 FP on the day, and then book another one after you'd used it?

This has never been a sensible strategy in the past as usually the parks with tiered FPs have a) plenty of desirable tier 2 FPs and b) very slim chance of obtaining a second tier 1 FP on the day anyway

Wonder whether this would be a better plan than trying to burn through 2 unwanted tier 2 FPs, as presumably there would still be some tier 1 FPs available on the day, since there are so many to choose from now?
skintc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skintc View Post
But if you didn't pre-book any FPs, then would you be able to book a Tier 1 FP on the day, and then book another one after you'd used it?
You would have to book 2 Tier 2's before you could book another Tier 1
Hence forcing people to book 2 Tier 2's that they would either not bother to use of would tap in and not use in order to get a 4th FP (Tier 1)
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
You would have to book 2 Tier 2's before you could book another Tier 1
Hence forcing people to book 2 Tier 2's that they would either not bother to use of would tap in and not use in order to get a 4th FP (Tier 1)
You don’t have to do that if you switch parks. So imagine you go to AK first and only have a FP for FoP. You can use that one and then immediately book a tier 1 at HS, but there would have to be availability obviously
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kingphil
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hipstalike View Post
You don’t have to do that if you switch parks. So imagine you go to AK first and only have a FP for FoP. You can use that one and then immediately book a tier 1 at HS, but there would have to be availability obviously

I believe you have use all three FP's in the one park, before you can then book another one in another park