Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 09, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post

a few california with kids questions!

booked flights to LA for aug 2010 with a 3 night stopover in NYC. Kids will be nearly 7 and 6 and a half (one boy one girl). just wondering (already) about where in California to do. Im thinking 3 nights LA, 5 nights Anaheim, 7 nights San Diego. We want Universal, Disney, Seaworld, beaches. Would love SF but think too much driving? After 3 nights in NYC on way there I think 7 nights at the end of the trip in SD will be nice. Any suggestions?

Does Disney need 4 full park days? is staying onsite a good idea?

Is 3 nights LA enough - how many days does Universal need? We are not bothererd about stars etc but would like Paramount, is this a park or a studio? Not sure?

thanks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 09, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post

sorry dont this there is a paramount? is that canada?
Old 23 Apr 09, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kirst_al UK
Imagineer

kirst_al UK's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I'd say you'll be ok with 4 nights in anaheim - theres so much more to see in LA in my opinion so i'd add another night there than anaheim (unless you want to check out a beach or something down there) but 3 full days should be fine for DL. Yes theres a paramount studios its not a park) i think its on melrose in LA aswell as a universal studios (i'd put aside 2 days but prob only need the one (tickets tend to be buy one day get one free anyway)) and warner bros. You could always fly to SF (well oakland) from burbank and from san fran down to SD perhaps - just a thought.

[NEW video] April/May 15 - The biggest one yet! 💍🎩👰🏻 [video] Mar 12 - Rosen Inn at Pointe, Orlando, FL. Apr 10 - Vista Cay - Orlando, FL. Dec 08 - Anaheim, LA, Vegas & NYC. Apr 07 - Fairfield Inn & Suites - Orlando, FL. Apr 05 - Crowne Plaza Universal - Orlando, FL.
kirst_al UK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 09, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post

There's Knots Berry Farm Theme Park a short drive from Anaheim - home of Snoopy and our kids loved it.
There's also 6 Flags Magic Mountain north of LA. Lots of big roller coasters and a very nice water park.
We did a bus tour of LA to do the Hollywood sign and the Chinese theatre etc
We enjoyed a drive to Palm Springs and also drove up the coast to Santa Barbara. Nice beaches both north and south of LA

SanDiego old town is very interesting. The zoo's not bad either. We did a train trip to Yosemite which was wonderful even though it poured with rain.
You can easily drive to the Mexican border from San Diego.

Hope this helps

Judith
Old 23 Apr 09, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Just back from doing 7 nights San Diego and 5 in LA.
So much to do in SD look on the Go Card website we ran out of time rather than things to do.Zoo,wildlife park ,boat ride,Balbao park,Belmont,Boomers and the Midway were all firm favourites.
Loved Knotts Berry Farm in LA great atmosphere there.

With studio tours in LA a lot of them have age restrictions my 2 are 5 and 9 and Universal was the only one we could have done.
Old 24 Apr 09, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

We have done San Diego the past 2 years and last year we went for 2 weeks.the beaches are fantastic and we prefer Seaworld there rather bthan Orlando.Last year we drove to Universal for the day and we had a fantastic time and done everything.Our boys were 8 and 11 last year and they blove California
Old 24 Apr 09, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

I'd seriously consider doing SF! My DD was 6 when we went in 2006 and she says riding the cable car was her favourite part of the trip. Check out my trip report in my signature for some ideas of 'other' things to do...like Yosemite for example.

We're off again to California in October doing DL, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite and SF! Can't wait!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Just want to add that I dont really think you need to stay onsite, all the hotels are so close to the parks and restaurants.
I've never stayed onsite as its much more expensive, the Sheraton Park is a lovely hotel with balconies where you can watch the fireworks from ( not to be confused with The Sheraton hotel which is right by a freeway).
Have also stayed at the Radisson Maingate and the Hyatt Regency Orange County which was our favourite.
Love Rio
Old 24 Apr 09, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I will let you know in August when I get back with my children ! Remind me lol
Old 24 Apr 09, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pudding
Very Serious Dibber

just came back monday from california and my youngest is 6..we did 3 days disney and this was enough days there... we had one day in universal getting there at 9am when it opened and we didn't stay all day..there isn't as many rides as florida and i was gutted they didn't have ET.I wouldn't go universal again we were disapointed with it really..the satff weren't very cherpy it's like they didn't want to be there..the ones i encounted anyway..
We did a few nights in san diego..it's really nice there..we did a day at sea world and a day at the zoo..we were going to skip the zoo but glad we didn't it was lovely..we also went on an old fashioned boat at mission bay san diego..
In LA we took the kids to the chinese theatre then to see hannah montana at the el capitain cinema..did the Elmo body show that was on at the time too..
we stayed at marina del rey next to the marina and it was ideal to drive into LA or santa monica and Malibu beach...venice beach is a bit seedy.(Well i thought it was)..
we bought the california pass which had the theme park tickets in and a magic hours day for disney..
any questions feel free to ask!

Pudding
pudding is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread