Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 09, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Driving from San Diego to LV.

I reckon on 6 hours ? Does anyone know if there is anywhere to stop en route that could be interesting ? And is it an interesting journey ?
Old 22 May 09, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We'll be stopping at a ghost town called Calico for a few hours. It's just off Highway 15 and we will also probably stay at Barstow.

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 09, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannine
Excited about Disney

Thumbs up

Calico is amazing, just like stepping back into the old west! & gives the driver a well deserved break.
The only down side to driving is it's so boring! In the distance you can see a hill, as you arrive at the hill about 5 miles from when your first saw it... is another hill about 5 miles away... you know where I'm going here right. The roads are dual carriageway, straight & nothing around you but the desert. But thats an experience I would do again tomorrow. I'm told you should watch the sky's for Cops in Choppers if your planning to put your foot down it's so tempting just to get a move on not that I would?
Old 25 May 09, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jannine View Post
Calico is amazing, just like stepping back into the old west! & gives the driver a well deserved break.
The only down side to driving is it's so boring! In the distance you can see a hill, as you arrive at the hill about 5 miles from when your first saw it... is another hill about 5 miles away... you know where I'm going here right. The roads are dual carriageway, straight & nothing around you but the desert. But thats an experience I would do again tomorrow. I'm told you should watch the sky's for Cops in Choppers if your planning to put your foot down it's so tempting just to get a move on not that I would?
We stopped off at Calico in 2006 on our way to LA from Vegas. We really enjoyed looking around there. If you want something more modern there are shopping outlets at Bakersfield. We've stopped there before too.

Jannine, your description of the boring drive and just seeing a hill made me laugh. This is just how I would describe it too You do see the occasional cactus as well
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 09, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post

We drove LA to Vegas a few years ago and it took about 4 and a half hours I think. We stopped at the designer outlet in Barstow, didn't seem to be much else to stop for.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 09, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Oh my poor dh perhaps I should break a habit and do some driving I mean if it is a straight road how hard can it be ? Tempting fate there !
Old 25 May 09, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We missed Calico I think (saw the signs and followed them but the road didn't seem to be leading anywhere so didn't want to risk it! ) It's a bit of a samey drive but I didn't find it particularly boring, the scenery was so different to anything over here and i'm really glad we drove rather than flew
Old 26 May 09, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

It's probably a little bit too close to San Diego, but Lake Elsinore is lovely:

en.wikipedia/wiki/Lake_Elsinore,_California
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 09, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread