Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 92
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Fourth Family Floriday October 2017 Pre-Trippy

Pre Trip Report INDEX

Plans and introductions (below)
We've booked!
Requested Bunks and a primark haul
Linked to MDE at last, Emma Bridgewater and my travel top!
Gulf Coast Plans and Updates
Disney x Cath Kidston Collab, Reveal Bags and More Purchases!
Paul's 40th Birthday
ONE YEAR TO GO!
Flights are booked! + Disney x Cath Kidston Haul
ADR Plans, News, Purchases & Makes
Changes, Discovery Cove, Plans and more
ADR's and Discovery Cove - BOOKED!
Final ADR's and Birthday Preparations
Room Requests, MNSSHP, Travel Insurance and a NEW CAR!
Three Months To Go! - Lots of Purchases!
Two months to go! Plans, the big reveal and more purchases!
August Update - It's Coming together!
Our ATD Tickets Have Arrived!
More Purchases & Amelia's Travel Journal
30 days to go!
Our travel documents have arrived!
Two weeks to go!
Two Sleeps!

THE FOURTH FAMILY FLORIDAY TRIP REPORT INDEX

Hi! My name's Aimie. You might remember me from such trippy's as the Fantastic Fun Filled Family Floriday and "I Wish I May, I wish... WE DID!" (Said in the voice McClure)

With my November 2014 trip report finally complete, I thought I had better start on the next leg... a Pre Trippy for 2017! I don't want to break the three year rule after all

So who are we? Ill refresh your memories for those of you who read my last trip reports, and introduce myself to any newbies... I do need to get some recent photos of us and will update this soon, but for the time being...

Our family consists of:

Paul (A.K.A The hubster)

Paul is celebrating his 40th birthday this summer so I am organising a weekend away in London for the both of us. We have been together for nine years and married for seven this June and in that time, we've never been away on our own, so we are really looking forward to it. Paul works so hard as a deputy manager for Tesco. He comes home exhausted some nights as he works different shifts. Mostly 2pm until midnight or 5am 2:30pm. This will be his sixth trip to Florida. Paul is happy for me to take control with the plans for this trip. He's not one for planning, but does like to have plans in place if that makes sense, so he's happy for me to take charge! As long as he gets to eat good food in good restaurants, hes easily pleased! He does like the flight part of the holiday, which I'm really not bothered about, so he will probably book the flights. He's usually the driver of our trip, but we won't be hiring a car this time around.
Universal used to be Paul's favourite park, but since we went to Disney World in 2012, he has got bitten by the bug and it almost as obsessed with it as I am.

Oliver

My eldest child, aged 16. He will be 17 on our next trip.
Hes still having his Kevin and Perry-type strops and is your typical lazy teenager, argumentative and obsessed with gaming, eating, and netflix. He is a good big brother to his little sister, Amelia though and loves her to bits. Oliver is in year 11 and is doing his GCSE's this year. Its scary to think that this time next year, he could be driving! Hes taller than me now and his feet are now the same size as Paul's. Oliver is a proud member of Team Wimp. This will be his fourth trip to Florida.

Amelia

On our last trip aged 4

UPDATE: Now, aged 6

Our youngest. She will be turning six next month (on my birthday!), and will be 7 when we go to Florida. She loves school and is like a little sponge; she soaks up everything and loves to learn. Amelia loves Lego Friends, watching Youtube videos, reading, drawing and going to Rainbows. She loves Disney, and still says she wants to live in our holiday house at Old Key West forever. I think she's a little bit psychic as she asked to watch a video of Halloween at Disney World yesterday, and we haven't said anything about it in front of her!

Amelia has now been discharged from speech and language therapy, however she does still struggle to pronounce some of her vowels. Apparently it is quite rare to muddle vowel sounds, but they said they're confident she'll grow out of it. We have to take her back in 18 months if she's still experiencing problems.

And Me!: Aimie ~ Tea drinker, biscuit dunker, dress maker, photographer, mother, chief planner & Imagineer. Im 35 next month and a self-confessed Disney addict! I love photography (although never said I was any good it it!), sewing, dress-making, days out with my family and planning for holidays! Disney Holidays that is! I run my own business (Little Sugar Plums) where I make and sell designer dolls, childrens clothing and accessories. I love to make Disney inspired dresses for my daughter, Amelia and she usually has a dress themed to the park or restaurant we're visiting each day of our trip! I do love a bit of Disney bounding! I am a collector of Emma Bridgewater and a Cath Kidston addict.
Since returning from Florida, I have lost almost two stone in weight and dropped two dress sizes with Slimming World and have almost reached my second (and final) target weight, so it is my mission to maintain that until our 2017 trip. With all the cinnamon rolls, Mickey waffles and carrot cake cookies I'll be eating there, I will no doubt put on a stone by the time we return! Although the thought of looking like I did in the "before" photo below fills me with dread. It's going to be hard making healthy choices when there is so much delicious food around.

This will be my fourth trip to Florida. I will once again be the chief planner for this trip. Head of ADRs, fast passes, packing, organising and accounting! I already have a spreadsheet set up ready, and my case is half packed with Disney clothing from last time, although most will probably not fit me now!

So we've been back 16 months now and quite a bit has happened. Just after we returned from Florida in 2014, a fantastic opportunity opened up for us, which brought a big change for us all, but for the better. Paul got a new job, within the same company, but in a different area. We decided to move house to be closer to our family and his new place of work, which meant moving to a different town, back to Northampton where we were both born, and where we met back in 2007. We waited until the kids finished the year at school, and we moved in July 2015. This meant the kids both had to start new schools. It was the one part of moving house that I was nervous about, as they would be leaving all of their friends behind, especially Oliver as he was at a crucial age, and was due to start year 11 in September and his new school didn't do the same subjects he'd been learning at his old school. They both settled in so well, and so quickly which really surprised me. They're both doing really well, and both have lots of friends and are really happy which is fantastic.

Well now we're settled in our new home, the Disney blues have really kicked in big time. Paul and I have done nothing but talk about going back and have been watching Vlogs on You Tube for the past couple of months! A 2016 trip was completely off the cards because of Oliver's GCSE's, so we've decided 2017 is the year for us! We will be on a budget and have decided that we will only do the Disney parks this time. We did have a great time at Universal on our last trip, especially with our one night stay at HRH which was amazing, but theres been so many changes at Disney since we were last there, I think well have plenty to keep us busy. We would like to explore some of the other resorts, and have some quieter pool days, and maybe go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. We'd also like to do Cirque de Soliel which we've wanted to do since our first trip in 2009!

After being spoilt last time staying at OKW, we will definitely be staying onsite again. We just loved it so much. Price wise, it just makes sense too. No matter how many times I price up DIY, staying onsite always comes out cheaper, and I don't think you can go wrong with the dining plan, so that's number one on our agenda. So now all we have to do is wait for Disney to release their free dining plan offer next month (fingers crossed).

So dates.

We've been in June/July back in 2009 which was too hot and humid for us.
May was hot when we went in 2012, but not too unbearable.
And last year, the beginning of November. Well it was OK the first week, but FREEZING on our second week and I definitely don't want to go that time of year again.
The Easter holidays would be the ideal time, but less time to save, so we're now thinking October time. We love the thought of doing MNSSHP and the kids have mentioned several times that "next time we go" they want to do Halloween there. From what I've seen through reading trip reports, it's still hot that time of year.

As I said earlier, we've been watching a few Vlogs on You tube, and Paul really wants us to give it a go next time, so I think we will be investing in a GoPro and a few accessories before we go I think they will be mostly for our benefit and I doubt they will be You Tube worthy! I can see a lot of editing required! We are by no means a perfect Disney family, as you'll know if you've read my previous reports, so we'll see how that goes!

So which resort? I have been looking on the Disney website (almost daily ) at the resorts. Because we want the full dining plan, if recent years are anything to go by, we will have to book a deluxe resort. OKW and Saratoga Springs aren't showing yet, although they probably will when the DDP offer comes out. We are a little bit limited because most resorts have two queen beds in their studios, and I don't think it's right that Oliver and Amelia should share a bed (I also think it's illegal isn't it?). So we have shortlisted these three possible resorts...

PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE.
I know this is a moderate resort, BUT the newly refurbished rooms have two queen beds and a pull down bed which would be great for the four of us. The only problem is, we would have to ask if we could upgrade to the full dining plan, as the moderate resorts only get quick service dining. We really like the look of this resort. Paul likes the food court, and Amelia would love the pull down bed with Louis the alligator inside. The only downside is having all four of us in one room, with no privacy for Paul and I. I'm not sure if we would be able to manage two weeks without killing each other! Lol.

ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
Because of the restaurants and the fact the studios have bunk beds in addition to a queen bed. The kids would love this. Like POR though, it would be cramped with the four of us in one room for the duration.

OLD KEY WEST
Our final and most expensive option would be to have a one bed villa like last time. I keep telling myself we only really use the room for sleeping and getting showered and changed before we go out, so I don't want to spend another 800 to upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom villa. When I think what else we could get for that money... That said, we LOVED staying here last time, and we really were spoilt with this resort. It would solve the sleeping arrangement problem and Paul and I would have privacy with our own bedroom. The rooms here are very spacious too unlike any of the other resorts. The only downside of OKW is the restaurants... We didn't eat at Olivia's last time, because we had so much choice in the parks that we preferred to spend or table service credits on, and Goods to Go wasn't brilliant. We would prefer somewhere with a food court.

So there's a few things for us to think about, which we can't really do until the end of April when we can see options and prices. If POR offered the full dining plan, I think that would sell it for us. I can't see them doing that though.

Already, I have been thinking about the dresses I will make Amelia. I might even do a bit of Disney bounding myself this time

My Sister and her Boyfriend went to Las Vegas for New Year and brought Amelia and I matching Mouseketeer T-shirts back, which I am saving for Florida! I have wanted one of these for years! When we were planning our last trip I tried to get Amelia one on the Disney USA site, but they only had baby sizes, so I was absolutely over the moon with them when she gave them to us!

I am also desperate to get a pair of Disney Birkenstocks and some Vans too.

MUST DO'S OF THIS TRIP (things we missed last time)

Ride the Liberty Belle in Magic Kingdom
Try a Dole Whip ice cream (not a float this time)
Complete the whole of World Showcase Kidcot Funstop
Get the kids passports for World Showcase too maybe
Spend more time at the resort pool
Campfire stories at the resort in the evening
Movies around the pool at the resort in the evening
Peter Pan's Flight not sure if it's worth it, but we haven't done it before
MNSSHP
Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom
Pandora/Avatar land (if it's complete by October)
Frozen Ever After ride (if we're lucky enough to get FP+ for it). I'm sure the standby times will be extortionate.
Disney Springs explore all the new areas
Hoop de Doo Music Revue
Meet Rapunzel (missed her last time)
Go horse/pony riding at Fort Wilderness
Have a domingo sundae at Ghirardelli's

We have lots of time to think about ADR's and fast passes and things like that. I don't want to plan too much now as I'll have nothing left to do nearer the time!

So I will love you and leave you for now. If anyone has any advice to offer about accommodation onsite that would suit our family, so that Oliver and Amelia have their own beds, I would love to hear it.

Until next time...

Aimie. x

Edited at 03:51 PM.
pixie81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 16, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Yay, how exciting you're planning another trip!

I love visiting in October, great weather, Halloween decorations and the food and wine festival, though it is a busy time now.

Accommodation wise, the one negative of AKL is the distance it is from every park other than AK, though as it is a much smaller resort, the buses don't go all the way around like they do at SSR and OKW. The pool area here is really good and we really liked our QS lunch at the Mara, the food was good and there was soo much choice.

Love the things on your to do list. .

Fingers crossed for you for the free dining hopefully coming out next month.x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - 168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 16, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie81
Imagineer

pixie81's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Yay, how exciting you're planning another trip!

I love visiting in October, great weather, Halloween decorations and the food and wine festival, though it is a busy time now.

Accommodation wise, the one negative of AKL is the distance it is from every park other than AK, though as it is a much smaller resort, the buses don't go all the way around like they do at SSR and OKW. The pool area here is really good and we really liked our QS lunch at the Mara, the food was good and there was soo much choice.

Love the things on your to do list. .

Fingers crossed for you for the free dining hopefully coming out next month.x
Yes the distance thing was an issue too with AKL, but I think the restaurants outweighed that! We love the look of the Mara and Boma. I also had almost booked a reservation at Sanaa last time too which I cancelled last minute, so maybe something else to add to the ADR list. Hopefully the buses from there are frequent to the other parks as we're not driving this time. It's too much hassle, and more than my nerves can take! Lol. x
pixie81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 16, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyLass
Earning More Ears

Loved reading your trip report from last time, we too are planning a trip in October 2017.
We are DVC at OKW & I love the resort but are, the food options are limited - this is my 9th trip & I am yet to eat at Olivias! - happy hour at The Gurgling Suitcase however...

We find the studios ok for us as we have two girls under 10 but as they get older I think we'll need to upgrade to 1-bed. IMO the extra would be worth it for the extra space.
Your list of things to do is great - we've got a few 'firsts' planned for our trip...
Keys to the Kingdom
Chip n Dales campfire
MNSSHP
to name a few :-)

Soooooo excited, too long to wait though :-(

xx
DisneyLass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 16, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Loved reading your report! Fab pre trip, fingers crossed you get the free dining next month. Looking forward to reading more 😃
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie81
Imagineer

pixie81's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by DisneyLass View Post
Loved reading your trip report from last time, we too are planning a trip in October 2017.
We are DVC at OKW & I love the resort but are, the food options are limited - this is my 9th trip & I am yet to eat at Olivias! - happy hour at The Gurgling Suitcase however...

We find the studios ok for us as we have two girls under 10 but as they get older I think we'll need to upgrade to 1-bed. IMO the extra would be worth it for the extra space.
Your list of things to do is great - we've got a few 'firsts' planned for our trip...
Keys to the Kingdom
Chip n Dales campfire
MNSSHP
to name a few :-)

Soooooo excited, too long to wait though :-(

xx
Oooooh, how did I not know about happy hour?!
Yeah I think it might have to be OKW again. It just hurts paying an extra 800 for a sofa bed and a washing machine! Lol. It is lovely though.

Thank you for reading

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Loved reading your report! Fab pre trip, fingers crossed you get the free dining next month. Looking forward to reading more 😃
I have everything crossed too! Thank you for reading
Old 20 Mar 16, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Nice pre trip!

I'll be back in 2017 as well, and I wanted to go in October too! We haven't even decided the month we're going yet let alone which resorts we might want! I wish we would hurry up and decide at least that so I can put a hopeful ticker back on.

We stayed in a OKW 1-bedroom in November and it was lovely! Our first room wasn't so good, but the second was great.I wouldn't mind staying there again at all. POR seems a lovely resort too and AKL is beautiful! We stayed at Kidani for 1 night a few years ago and loved it. I'm not much help lol.

Looking forward to more!
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 16, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
16offtodisney!
Apprentice Imagineer

Ohh, great start, and well done on your weight loss. We are too going october 2017, have our flights booked with thomas cook, and waiting for (hopefully) free dinning to be released.
DLP Newport bay Sept 2008,DLP Santa fe April 2010, Emerald Island Easter 2012,Indian Creek May 2014, Rosen inn @Pointe, Royal Pacific, Springhill Suites Christmas 2015,Port Orleans French Quarter October 2017,Cabana Bay, Doubletree @Seaworld, Allstars Movies Christmas 2018
Sarah xx
16offtodisney! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 16, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

hi,

great start, loved your last tr.

You look amazing, I really need to get cracking with SW, we got in 198 days and I've got a fair bit to shift I know I'll be annoyed with myself if I don't.

Looking at your accom, if you booked POR, you'd be looking at around 400 to upgrade dining (am sure that's roughly how much it was for us, I originally booked CBR with upgraded dining, changed to ssr) so if you take that off the OKW cost as you'll get that included, it takes the sting out a bit?

We are waiting for 2017 offers too, hoping to get SSR with DDP for a week, hope we like it this time. First time SSR and first time with dining plan eeekkkk.

Looking forward to reading along
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 16, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Just checked back my old invoice, to upgrade dining for 2 weeks it was 56 for 2 kids and 364 for 2 adults. My eldest will be 9 when we go, last year as a child!
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List