Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Aug 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
YummyMummyx
Excited about Disney

Miami

Just wondering if anyone has driven to Miami from Orlando?
Did you feel safe, iv heard so much that there is often car jacking to tourists traveling and now I'm worried to attempt to visit. Is it an easy drive? Any help would be appreciated. Also any recommendations of what area of Miami I would be better staying in?

Thanks

Edited at 11:13 AM.
YummyMummyx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

Hi we drove from Miami to Orlando in July this year. We stayed in Miami the night we arrived at Hyatt House near Blue Lagoon. It was a nice clean hotel with a pool and a small restaurant for breakfast. Also had an airport shuttle bus which we used the next day to return to the airport to pick up our hire car. We used the main motorway and stopped at Post St Lucie services for food/restroom break. It took us about 4 hours from lunchtime Saturday at Miami airport to get to Southern Dunes (actually Haines City not Orlando!) with about a half hour stop.

We had no problems with the journey, it was busy coming out of the airport but not as bad as I expected. As we were going to Haines City we turned onto a smaller road for the last 60 miles or so but if going to Orlando you will carry on up the motorway. I would definitely consider this route again.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did it in 2016 and doing it again next Thursday. The drive is relatively easy if not a little boring. Last time we stayed at the Hilton Blue Lagoon Drive which is 5 mins from the airport. This year we’re staying at Deerfield beach which is 45 mins away from Miami airport. Not once have I felt unsafe, didn’t see any car jackings or hear of any while we were there. Am sure that can happen anywhere in the world, as long as you have your eyes open to our surroundings and plan your journey then I’m sure you will be fine.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SunshineValley
Very Serious Dibber

We did the journey up from Miami to Orlando a couple of weeks ago, and was painless. We decided to go straight up the 27, and had no issues whatsoever.

We are just about to undertake the return journey in a couple of hours, and are going to go straight back down the 27, which is allowing around four hours, and finding a restaurant in Miami close to the airport before then heading in to the airport...
SunshineValley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Done it quite a few times. Always use H27 which is far more a prettier route. Plenty of places to stop and eat etc. Always felt safe👍
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YummyMummyx
Excited about Disney

Thank you everyone. I think i'l include it in. Is Miami Beach the main area where I would want to be.
YummyMummyx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dublingirl
Helping Mickey

We've done it many times without a problem. The only advice I would give you is don't go on the Turnpike - it's the most boring drive ever!
Dublingirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The drive is easy and a little boring! We stayed 3 nights in Miami and just 1 in Fort Lauderdale; can't tell you how much we regret not staying the whole time at Fort Lauderdale and just getting the (very frequent and cheap) bus into Miami instead.

We stayed on Ocean Drive and didn't feel totally comfortable walking around at night. It was obvious that Miami is split into different gang territories and late at night they hang out at their different bars and such. Maybe because I've worked with gangs I'm a little more attuned to the tells, but I'd certainly not want to stay there again. No issues at all in the daytime and probably until after 22:30 at night.

Fort Lauderdale is much friendlier and more cosmopolitan; there are more modern bars and boutiques and independent shops that we enjoyed and the food was brilliant. Would definitely go back there.

Edited at 09:47 PM.
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List