Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Sep 17, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

A quick review of Avis car hire booked through BA

We have been back a day now and have finally got around to reading a few threads on here with Dibbers worrying about their upcoming Avis car hire so thought I would do a brief (ish) review of my experience.
We booked when BA had their 7 days for the price of 5 deal on. This did mean splitting the car hire to drop off half way through the holiday and picking up again but we saved over £600 for both our car rentals by doing this so a no brainer really.
I had booked a Full Size SUV and my OH a Convertable.
Prior to arriving I had joined Avis Preffered and BA Executive Club which meant I could skip the main counter and have a free additional driver.
When we arrived at MCO, as I was a Preffered member we went straight over to the car rental garage to the Avis kiosk. I just gave my name and that found my details, no need for the vouchers I had printed out. Handed over my Debit card and driving licence and was told I was given a Chevy Suburban. A very nice upgrade from the Tahoe or similar I was expecting. I know not a lot about cars but it was apparently the full spec version, I was very happy!

OH was assigned a lovely bright blue Mustang.

Was given a card print out that said $.01 due.

I questioned that I didn't have anything further to pay and he assured me the BA voucher covered everything. Still not convinced, he printed me out a further document highlighting a zero balance.

My OH on the other hand had his balance as still owing, so I again made sure we had a second print out with zero owing.
Please be warned that if you don't pre pay for fuel and don't bring it back full they will charge you $9 a gallon 😳
The cards gave us the row and bay number. You need to keep hold of these as they get scanned at the barrier on the way out.
I kept an eye on my bank balance and sure enough $100 was taken as a hold (approx £77) but it was put back on after 3 days.
I was a little bit in love with the Suburban and knew it was likely that when it came to swapping they would quite rightly give me the class of car I paid for so the day before the swap I gave them a call and asked if it was ok to keep, it was no problem whatsoever.
After 9 days we drove to the Embassy Suites on I-Drive to 'swap'.
Literally took 5 minutes. All he needed was the current mileage and my CC again. $100 was held again but back on after 3 days.
OH asked if there was any Chevy Camero's he could swap with as he fancied a change but only had one Mustang so he kept his blue one. Again took 5 mins.
Unfortunately the day before we were due to leave the oil light came on the Suburban. As I was going to the airport anyway to take my parents back we stopped off at Avis to see what they suggested. They said no problem to exchange and waivered the half tank of fuel as we hadn't filled up on the way. Good job at $9 a gallon!
Gave me a Toyota Sequoia first but when we got in it smelt terrible inside.

Back to kiosk where we were then given a Ford Expedition. Certainly wasn't as nice as the Suburban but it would do for 24 hours 😉

Took a photo of the 'Exchange' and 'Upgrade' rows.

On returning to the airport the next day I got given a print out and made sure the balance was again zero, please make sure you do this I know how easy it is to forget!

So all in all a very positive first time experience with Avis. Will definitely book with them again

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

I do think you're missing the point. That's nearly a kick in the ribs for all dibb members who have been done. You have received the service expected, nothing special really. It's kind of like saying I ordered a Big Mac meal, and that's what I got.

People have not asked for 'extras'. Many, including myself have been given them and charged.

I'm not a first time USA traveller, done a fly drive in Florida 9 times each time between 2 - 4 weeks and other places in the USA as many times.

Edited at 11:22 PM.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Good service and nice cars you had. Well done Avis.
However others, even experienced renters have been had over. Not so good but seems to have become endemic for the last 6 weeks only. Wonder what's happened?

But back to your post. Nice to see you didn't trust them and double checked alll the time. Nice tip to ring up to keep the Suburban.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I apologise but I think you're missing my point?
This was simply a review of my recent experience to hopefully help others as being a first time renter with Avis I didn't know what to expect.
This wasn't meant to 'rub it in the face' of Dibbers that have been stung by Avis! I'm sorry you have been I really am, I know first hand what it's like to be done over by a car rental company but are we only allowed to post complaining of services now? What about credit where credit is due?
And for the record I did receive more service than expected, an upgraded car

Edit - was meant to quote Halowas reply

Edited at 11:49 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Good service and nice cars you had. Well done Avis.
However others, even experienced renters have been had over. Not so good but seems to have become endemic for the last 6 weeks only. Wonder what's happened?

But back to your post. Nice to see you didn't trust them and double checked alll the time. Nice tip to ring up to keep the Suburban.
Thanks Tom.
I don't know why so many have been stung I can only go on mine and partners experience. I'm sure many more have had good experiences also just haven't posted on here. As you well know the car hire industry is filled with reps on commission trying to make a quick buck it's not just Avis.
Loved the Suburban, if I ever come into some money I'm having one shipped over!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 8 Sep 17, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks Tom.
I don't know why so many have been stung I can only go on mine and partners experience. I'm sure many more have had good experiences also just haven't posted on here. As you well know the car hire industry is filled with reps on commission trying to make a quick buck it's not just Avis.
Loved the Suburban, if I ever come into some money I'm having one shipped over!
I'm an SUV convert due to my bad back. The Suburban is nice, wouldn't fancy it in the rain as it may be light on the back.

I refused to pay for a Luxury this trip so have a Premium. An Impala V6 thing. Piece of junk.
Anyhow SUVs from now on.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I'm an SUV convert due to my bad back. The Suburban is nice, wouldn't fancy it in the rain as it may be light on the back.

I refused to pay for a Luxury this trip so have a Premium. An Impala V6 thing. Piece of junk.
Anyhow SUVs from now on.
I drove it in biblical rain to Clearwater on Sunday 27th August (were you in Fl then?) and it was fine, although I was only going 35-40mph on the I4!
My inlaws had a lovely Hyundai Santa Fe which I think was a Standard SUV with Alamo. 2 years ago we got a Volvo XC60 as our hire car, loved it so much we ended up buying one. We too are SUV converts now!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 8 Sep 17, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
I drove it in biblical rain to Clearwater on Sunday 27th August (were you in Fl then?) and it was fine, although I was only going 35-40mph on the I4!
My inlaws had a lovely Hyundai Santa Fe which I think was a Standard SUV with Alamo. 2 years ago we got a Volvo XC60 as our hire car, loved it so much we ended up buying one. We too are SUV converts now!
Hi. We came out on the 20th and go home on the 15th. Nice break. The Volvos have come along nicely the last few years, I like them.

Old 8 Sep 17, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Mobile

This was simply a review of my recent experience to hopefully help others as being a first time renter with Avis I didn't know what to expect.
This wasn't meant to 'rub it in the face' of Dibbers that have been stung by Avis! I'm sorry you have been I really am, I know first hand what it's like to be done over by a car rental company but are we only allowed to post complaining of services now? What about credit where credit is due?

Well said smithlane.
I've never used Avis before but would probably consider them now having read your post.
Thank you.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 17, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Absolutely right. You were careful and checked every step of the way as we all should do. I found your review very useful and I think it will be useful too for any first-time drivers.

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List