Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Aug 18, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hiring own car is coming up at around £400 for the two weeks wouldn't upgrading be cheaper? I'm going rig Tui today anyway but it seems like I'm getting nowhere at all and the money is just going up and up lol
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hevfev View Post
Hiring own car is coming up at around £400 for the two weeks wouldn't upgrading be cheaper? I'm going rig Tui today anyway but it seems like I'm getting nowhere at all and the money is just going up and up lol
Not always, as people may have said previously having a ' free' car within in package is often far from free due to the additional insurance costs and many find it's cheaper to not collect and rebook plus on many occasions getting a better car.

Sanford is a small airport and easily manageable, car hire desks are well signed once you go through customs and a minute or two walk. Then another couple of minutes from desk to car.

Have you a SatNav... you'll find it useful and if you don't I think Andy on here rents them out, in fact get a quote from Andy for the car anyway as I think he includes it. He is Discount Florida Car Hire, link at top
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I think we need some clarity on here as things could get muddled and thats the last thing we all want for you.
So,
1. A debit card is fine. Assume a $200 hold will be applied as a worse case scenario. But almost certainly nothing.
2. Our Debit Cards have a Visa or MasterCard logo on, some American ones don't hence that's where the confusion lies. Ours are good to go
3. You car 'hire' is uninsured - thats not good!
4. Ring your TA and get an insurance package price, it can be good or it can be awful. Thomas Cook are ok sometimes, Thomson not.
5. When you have that price then compare that with a DIY car hire, we can all muck in on that so please ask if you want help
6. You can get a 3rd party UK based broker price for the 2 x big insurances you need. 99% of us on here me included wont touch them
7. If you do go that route be prepared to pay on your credit card for any damage and then recoup same when home. But you dont have a credit card so now the difficulties become apparent.
8. Sanford you need to go to a kisok on arrival but they are rarely open. Thus you go to the desk with Alamo then head outside and pick your own car. Not as good as MCO but fine as the airport is quieter.

I hope this helps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hiring own car is coming up at around £400 for the two weeks wouldn't upgrading be cheaper? I'm going rig Tui today anyway but it seems like I'm getting nowhere at all and
the money is just going up and up lol
Good luck with Tui. No regular Florida car hirer would recommend you going with less than $1m SLI (third party) or CDW. Not clear from your screen shot but is that what they call Gold? If so just ask for an upgrade price to Gold.

Also what size car was the £400 for and what have Tui offered?

Mick
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

£400 sounds about right to me. We are happy to pay between £250 and £400 - this year we took the 'free' car with Thomas Cook, and upgraded the insurance with them for £269, which we thought was really good. We normally hire through usrentacar, but TC beat them this year.
It can all be a bit daunting when doing things like this for the first time. We booked in store with a travel agent when we first went and they guided us through everything, we were meant to be going to Spain :/ but the agent seen a deal that she HAD to tell us about. Fast forward 14 years, 9 trips and amazing memories, it's like our second home.
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Radders
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

We are flying with tui next week, to top up insurance through them on line was almost £600. I will be ditching the car and have rented a standard SUV from Alamo, fully insured for £400 but this was booked last September.

I wouldn’t try to save money on insurance through a third party, if you have an accident it could get messy. With the hire car companies insurance they will just replace the car on the spot.

I want my holiday to be as stress free as possible, I don’t want to worry about the car.
Radders is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Mobile

I rang TUI and to top yo insurance it was £550 so I'll be booking separately.
I used the link above (discount Florida car hire) and it came out at £301 but still unsure if that had the relevant insurance I'd need. If anyone who has used it could please advise me? It was for a Basic small car. I'd have preferred a bigger one but as long as it gets is from A to B

Thank you much to everyone for your help and appreciate anymore that can be given. Thank youuuuu
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I used the link above (discount Florida car hire) and it came out at £301 but still unsure if that had the relevant insurance I'd need. If anyone who has used it could please advise me? It was for a Basic small car. I'd have preferred a bigger one but as long as it gets is from A to B

Thank you much to everyone for your help and appreciate anymore that can be given. Thank youuuuu
What are your exact dates please, and are you sure you will put up with a basic small thing like a Fiat 500?

By the way Andy has the full insurances on what he 'sells'

Edit. I guessed your date, 22nd Aug for 14 days?

Yes Andy is £301 for a 4 door Econ. If I was you I would opt for the Intermediate at £320. Far better car, more room etc.

By the way his prices for those dates are good, far better than Virgin.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:39 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

As Mr Morrow says Andy at DFCH is a well respected Dibber and his prices will include all required insurances. I've booked with him twice in the last 6 months. You can of course choose whatever size you want with him.

Mick

Edited at 05:42 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
What are your exact dates please, and are you sure you will put up with a basic small thing like a Fiat 500?

By the way Andy has the full insurances on what he 'sells'

Edit. I guessed your date, 22nd Aug for 14 days?

Yes Andy is £301 for a 4 door Econ. If I was you I would opt for the Intermediate at £320. Far better car, more room etc.

By the way his prices for those dates are good, far better than Virgin.
It's the 23rd.
I'm not sure the difference between them they all look the same lol small, medium, large :/
Yes it does seem like a really good price actually. I'll go for the intermediate- is it bigger or something?
Also do I pay via the site but pick up from Alamo still at the airport?
Thank you Mr Morrow