Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 Aug 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by welsh wizard View Post
Thank you for your reassurance so basically the OP must be mistaken in saying the overhead restraints came undone?
I do wish they would come back on here and clarify exactly what happened
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

I would like to hear the answer to this too. My understanding is that if an event occurred as per the original post, this would be grounds for closing the ride for a considerable period while a safety investigation was carried out. My best guess is that the restraint wasn't fully in its lowest possible position with the rider in the seat, and during an inversion it reverted back to the last 'locked' click, which could potentially leave a larger than comfortable gap, but should never be enough to put the rider at risk as the notches are too close together. This may have given the impression the restraint was being held in place by the seatbelt - this has happened to me once or twice before and it's pretty unsettling, but didn't put me in any danger.
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
aajp
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you all for your comments. I confirmed the situation and my son's overhead restraint unlocked by 9-10 inches (2 adult knuckle approx) despite the ride operative checking several times it was fully locked. This should have been the lowest possible position as set by the ride safe checker who was asked several times to check. With my son's panic actions and my wife holding onto the restraint it did eventually lock back in, be it looser than it was initially. The staff at SeaWorld and guest relations did not appear overly concerned and there is little we can do as it is their word against ours. We spent a day at us and ioa yesterday and it was an effort to get them both to go on Jurassic log ride. He refuses ap tong and will not go near sw now.
aajp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Sounds like it was locked but not where it should’ve been. I’m guessing that if a harness opens it must send alerts to the main controls? Like others have said the seatbelt wouldn’t have been able to hold it in place so it must have been locked. I’m sorry if it scared your son but it sounds like it was with normal parameters
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aajp View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I confirmed the situation and my son's overhead restraint unlocked by 9-10 inches (2 adult knuckle approx) despite the ride operative checking several times it was fully locked. This should have been the lowest possible position as set by the ride safe checker who was asked several times to check. With my son's panic actions and my wife holding onto the restraint it did eventually lock back in, be it looser than it was initially. The staff at SeaWorld and guest relations did not appear overly concerned and there is little we can do as it is their word against ours. We spent a day at us and ioa yesterday and it was an effort to get them both to go on Jurassic log ride. He refuses ap tong and will not go near sw now.
Sounds like a scary experience, and I'm sorry your son has being traumatised by it. If it helps, by the sounds of it, due to the safety measures in place - you were actually in no danger. But knowing that after the fact, probably doesn't help.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It sounds terrifying even if it was technically safe.

I don’t know if you are doing Disney but there is plenty there that doesn’t require much of a harness and then some quite tame coasters that would build his confidence back up.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes that is normal on this type of coaster due to the different locking points on the restraints for different body sizes, however you son would never have been in any damager, hence the response from Seaworld. It happens to me all the time on B&M coasters, I can't always get the restraint to lock in the tightest position so often restraint will be a bit loose.

However I can see why it would give the impression to your son it had come undone and how that has put him off other rides.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

I don't understand the distance? 9-10 inches is an awfully long way and not 2 adult knuckles , that's about 2 inches and that's perfectly normal for a restraint when between sizes.
Old 20 Aug 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
I don't understand the distance? 9-10 inches is an awfully long way and not 2 adult knuckles , that's about 2 inches and that's perfectly normal for a restraint when between sizes.
I was going the ask the same thing.

Nine to ten inches sounds a long way for the restraint to move. Whereas 9 to 10 centimetres would be more normal. Although even if there was a gap of 9 to 10 inches between a person's body and the bottom of the restraint that would still be fine, albeit a bit disconcerting. Mind you, you find some people purposely keep the restraints a bit loose so that they can experience a bit more "air time" (although that applies more to lap restraints).

To the OP, I would try going on some smaller coasters (not Kraken!) to build your son's confidence back up and also keep him entertained. There are plenty more rides to go on. Millions of people go on these coasters every year and it's extremely rare for there to be any issues.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
aajp
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
If you measure from your thumb to a little finger on a clenched fist x2, you'll reach that approx measurement !
aajp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List