Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tracynoe View Post
:-). Yes San Diego it is. Now to study your post in more detail to decide on which area :-)
Let me know if there are any questions you have that you don't see covered here.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Hi Aims, Firstly let me say how wonderful this thread is. I've been dipping in and out of it for my planning a lot over the past few months.

We seem to be going around a bit in circles trying to decide on a hotel to stay at and wonder if you might be able to help us narrow it down a bit. We'd initially brooked the Hampton Inn Downtown but I think this might be not a good option due to train noise. What are your though the Westin Gaslamp? It's not one thats on your list so wasn't sure if there was a reason for this or just that there are too many downtown hotels. We had also looked at the Courtyard Liberty Station but as we will be using public transport and Uber I think downtown might be more sensible.

We're planning to visit Balbao Park, US Midway, Coronado (hotel & beach area), Old Town and La Jolla if this helps with location choice. Thanks
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Hi Aims, Firstly let me say how wonderful this thread is. I've been dipping in and out of it for my planning a lot over the past few months.
Well, thank you very much! That means a lot to me to hear that this thread has been so helpful to you.

The Westin seems a fine hotel. I know it's not on my list, but that's simply because there are so many hotels downtown that I decided to stick to recommending those I have personally stayed at and enjoyed, and those that I know have a good reputation. I haven't stayed at the Westin but it does look nice from the outside and has a lot of good reviews online.

From the standpoint of using public transportation, staying downtown would be the most convenient. Liberty Station isn't that far from downtown either, about 3-4 miles away, in case you're still tempted by staying there. You will have airplane noise in Liberty Station during the day because the airport is so close, but they stop takeoffs overnight. Location wise, downtown is closest to Coronado, Balboa Park and the USS Midway...and Liberty Station is closest to Old Town, Sea World and the beaches. La Jolla will be the furthest out from both locations, but Liberty Station is a tad closer in distance.

Since downtown and Liberty Station are just 15 minutes apart, you can't go wrong staying in either location. Liberty Station and surrounding areas like Shelter Island and Point Loma are more quiet and laid-back (even with the airport there) with more residential areas around...and downtown has more hustle and bustle, more people and more places you can easily walk to, if that's something you want.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Thank-you, although i'm not sure thats narrowed things down anymore At least we know both are a possible option. We're still keeping an eye out for if they lower the rates at the Grand Hyatt as that looks a nice option too.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Well, if this helps, I would recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt over staying at the Westin. I like the area around the Grand Hyatt better, and the Hyatt is a lovely hotel in and out. The Marriott Marquis next door as well as the Hilton Bayfront down the road are equally wonderful places too.

Old 6 May 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Well, if this helps, I would recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt over staying at the Westin. I like the area around the Grand Hyatt better, and the Hyatt is a lovely hotel in and out. The Marriott Marquis next door as well as the Hilton Bayfront down the road are equally wonderful places too.
I have to agree with Amy re the Hilton Bayside, we really enjoyed our stay there, nice hotel well placed. You'll enjoy San Diego, it's a great city.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by UncleLatch View Post
I have to agree with Amy re the Hilton Bayside, we really enjoyed our stay there, nice hotel well placed. You'll enjoy San Diego, it's a great city.
Thanks for adding your recommendation too, UL! 👍 So, any future plans to return to San Diego yet? Do you know they closed Anthony's fish restaurant downtown? I'm pretty sure you're the person I know that liked both Anthony's and the Fish Market...I hope I got the right person here lol...

Old 7 May 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Thanks for adding your recommendation too, UL! 👍 So, any future plans to return to San Diego yet? Do you know they closed Anthony's fish restaurant downtown? I'm pretty sure you're the person I know that liked both Anthony's and the Fish Market...I hope I got the right person here lol...
Yes, that would be me! I know that you said the locals weren't too pleased about the way Anthony's were treated.
No West Coast plans on the horizon as yet as we've been busy with my Daughter's wedding earlier this year, but rest assured we will be back! I've said it before, San Diego is my favourite city in the USA, and we love the whole SoCal atmosphere you seem to have there!
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok, I did tell you about Anthony's already- couldn't remember.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! That's an exciting time in a family's life, and I understand how it overwhelms all other plans like holidays etc. Maybe when you do make it back to San Diego, we could meet up and say "hi".

Old 7 May 17, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Ok, I did tell you about Anthony's already- couldn't remember.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! That's an exciting time in a family's life, and I understand how it overwhelms all other plans like holidays etc. Maybe when you do make it back to San Diego, we could meet up and say "hi".
It certainly does! We have had to fit in short European breaks around all the planning etc, but now that's all done with we need to give serious thought to my 60th next year. We are definitely thinking about the USA, either returning to Florida for the first time in 12 years or perhaps the West Coast again. If it's the latter you can be sure that San Diego will figure in the plans and it would be a pleasure to have a chat face to face.