Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jun 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wifey View Post
We never even knew what a bagel looked like never mind how to eat one!
That’s true, my experience never went beyond a muffin, bap, barm cake, oven bottom or whatever they were called.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm now reminded of a childhood delicacy. Dripping sandwiches.

The dripping was kept in a pot and eventually a white crust would set on it. Below the crust you'd find a darker liquid that we'd spread on the bread.

A very healthy snack obviously but in those good old days fish & chips were always cooked in dripping.

Mick
Ours was fresh from the roasting pan on a Sunday provided Dad didn’t eat it all first. One thing he insisted on when he married Mum was a roast beef joint every week. Let’s just say it made our local butcher very thrifty and happy since she would buy half a side of beef every few months.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
loubyloulou
Excited about Disney

My childhood paste was always sardine and tomato
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
And - in our house at least - it was shared between a family of 4!

we also had "baby's 'eads" - grandad was in the army and the term stuck - those steak and kidney steamed "puddings" in a tin too - between 4.

Or...yuk... burgers in gravy from a tin...
Fray Bentos pie was considered a treat in our house 🥴

Did you have your burgers in gravy with Smash potatoes? We did as a quick Saturday lunch 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
What about a Frey Bentos steak pie, with no meat and lumps of fat, food sucked when I was a kid!
You can still buy them and many folks do. Not me I prefer actual meat and no fat or gristly bits in my pies. Had more than enough rubbish pies as a kid.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Childhood memories, boil in the bag dinners. If there was only me home for a meal, my mum would serve this delicacy (I think it’s fair to say my mum didn’t enjoy cooking 😂 ). I remember a beef stew and dumpling version being my favourite.

Not forgetting our exotic ‘foreign’ meals of Vesta Indian curry or sweet and sour chicken 😃
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by wifey View Post
You can still buy them and many folks do. Not me I prefer actual meat and no fat or gristly bits in my pies. Had more than enough rubbish pies as a kid.
I was never fussed about the meat but oooh that puff pastry!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Childhood memories, boil in the bag dinners. If there was only me home for a meal, my mum would serve this delicacy (I think it’s fair to say my mum didn’t enjoy cooking 😂 ). I remember a beef stew and dumpling version being my favourite.

Not forgetting our exotic ‘foreign’ meals of Vesta Indian curry or sweet and sour chicken 😃
Vesta curries were really nice I remember, fruit cocktail and carnation milk was another. I drunk carnation as a baby no wonder I was so fat!
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Haha we always had this on our sandwiches as kids! I used to love it .
Old 5 Jun 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

The worst was Faggots, they are just wrong