Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Jun 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! Day 4 - Acadia National Park

Day 4 – Bar Harbour and Acadia NP

We awoke to SUN! A good night’s sleep followed by another lovely, home-cooked breakfast in the dining room. The house looked lovely in the sun.

We were booked onto the 10am bus tour of Acadia National Park. I’d done this so that we could both have a good chance to see everything instead of one person driving and also so we could see where else we could drive to later.

We walked down to the harbour and looked at the amazing views across to the Porcupine Islands.

We checked in for the bus and it left promptly at 10am. The driver turned out to be absolutely brilliant and gave us information (and a few jokes!) for the whole 2.5 hours of the trip.

First stop was up to Cadillac Mountain. The road wound up and up but nothing scary at all. There were some great views on the way over the lakes below.

Finally at the top and we all scrambled out. The views were incredible! We were so lucky with the weather clearing. We had a good while to explore there and admire such a beautiful view down to the sea and villages. Little ‘rock pools’ had formed because of the rain. I could have spent all day up here.

Back on the bus! Everyone was really good the whole trip with no latecomers anywhere. Hate having to wait for the silly people who turn up late.

We stopped next at Thunder Hole, where the waves crash up through a crevice if the tide is right. It was certainly wavey but not to the extent that they were coming up through the hole. There was a gift shop there and I bought a lovely fridge magnet to add to our collection.

The driver pointed out some of the trails while we were driving, including the one with the metal ladder! I’d seen these on other people’s trip reports – rather you than me and very well done!

We saw where beavers had gnawed the Aspen trees to a point to fell them and a big beaver lodge along the way. We saw a few deer in the trees but no beavers. I was destined not to see them, especially as we’d stayed at the Black Lantern because of them.

The final stop was at Sieur de Monte Spring and the Wild Gardens of Acadia. We had half an hour here, which I thought was a bit long and would have preferred longer on Cadillac Mountain! The gardens were nice but nothing much was out at that time of year with Spring only just starting there. I was amazed at the number of daffodils everywhere as ours had long gone at home.

Back to Bar Harbour and we agreed that the tour had been a good one. We did keep stopping for photos at various places and it was a good way to see part of the Island.

We walked around the shops at Bar Harbour and returned to an arty shop we’d looked in the window of the day before. I’d spotted some seals made of felt, sitting on rocks in the window. Inside there were lots of them and I just had to buy one! I just fell in love with her little face! It was $50 but I thought it was worth it. There’s someone called The Gentleman Felter (@thegentlemanfelter) who I follow on Instagram and his work is very expensive so I thought my seal was a bargain. Will wasn’t that impressed with such a heavy item but I promised to carry it home in my backpack and they put it in a nice box for me. Remember this for our journey home!

Lunch was at Stewmans on the waterfront. I had fish tacos, one of my favourites, and Will had chicken and chips! He can’t eat fish as it makes him ill and also hates the smell. He’s also die if he had to be a vegetarian!

We went back to the Inn, dropped off the seal and got in the car to head off again. We went to Seal Harbor and had a walk on the beach and then to North East Harbor.

There are a whole series of carriage roads on the island where cars are not allowed and also lots of stone bridges. We stopped at one of these and walked along the carriage road for a long time. We saw another, really big beaver lodge. No beavers.

We did a complete circuit of the right side of the island on the Park Loop road. Sadly we didn’t have time to go to South West Harbor and that side. I did wish we’d allowed another night or two here and would love to return.

Eventually we returned to Bar Harbor via coffees in a café called Choco-Latte. Not much time at our Inn as we were off out again for our Ghost Tour. We always try to do one these wherever we go. We had a drink first in the Tap & Barrel bar and got talking to the barman. He was lovely and a Game of Thrones fan like us. They were showing the final episode in the bar (typical!) but we would have moved on by then to our next B&B which had no room TV, let alone HBO.

We walked just up the road to meet the group for the Blue Lantern Ghost Tour, led by Audrey, the lady with the blue lantern! She was dressed for the part and told a lot of interesting stories about Bar Harbor ghosts at various locations including inside the Criterion Theater foyer. Very entertaining as she got right into her storytelling but nothing supernatural, unlike the one we went on in St Augustine!

The tour ended back at the park by the cinema and we walked back to the Castlemaine Inn, hoping/not hoping there would be ghosts (as I’m sure there were!)

Index here - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post13903548

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 01:40 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

So many memories from our trip last summer!

We did the ladder hike

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
So many memories from our trip last summer!

We did the ladder hike
I remember reading it! You have my utmost admiration

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Lovely day and the coach tour sounds a brilliant way to cram lots of places in. Stunning views. So pleased the sun came out. Ha ha I’m with Will on the fish eating front.
You sound like Andy and I but in reverse ! Loving your seal. They have such great faces . So serene.
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thank you! Glad you like my seal The security men at Boston Airport were fascinated later

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A brilliant day - the weather looks beautiful for you and the bus tour looks like it was a great idea.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List