Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Thank you - I will think about that and will certainly have a read.

To be honest once the work is done I really dont want anything else to do with solicitors unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again.
Yes I totally understand that. It’s frustrating as what should have been simple has turned into a stressful situation. I know there is a time limit for complaints to the ombudsman but I’m not sure when the deadline is. You may want to give it a few weeks to consider though and then give them a ring. Good luck
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I feel your pain, we too had a nightmare with our conveyancer . Ironically our first choice was a local solicitor which was apparently also our buyer's solicitor. The whole sale was a nightmare and completed with a huge mistake that would have cost us tens of thousands . We sued and won.
Seven years down the line we have paid off the mortgage and are awaiting the deeds. After much chasing the building society have informed us they never received the deeds from the conveyancer and their letters asking for them have been ignored.
Husband has just rung the conveyancer and got fobbed off with "send an email" .
I'm about to compose a humdinger for him but I really can't believe they have screwed up again.
Like you we never wanted dealings with them ever again but we have no choice.
Annoyingly they aren't local but down on the south coast too.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Urg yes! When we were buying a house. I had to call her everyday or nothing got done. And she sent important paper work to the house we were buying instead of my current address which just delayed things further.
Old 3 Jul 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
Urg yes! When we were buying a house. I had to call her everyday or nothing got done. And she sent important paper work to the house we were buying instead of my current address which just delayed things further.
Speaking as a residential conveyancing secretary, calling every day is a reason for delays. People who ring frequently actually prevent the solicitors from getting on with the work. If people just let them get on with it instead of constantly chasing, there'd be less delays!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Speaking as a residential conveyancing secretary, calling every day is a reason for delays. People who ring frequently actually prevent the solicitors from getting on with the work. If people just let them get on with it instead of constantly chasing, there'd be less delays!
I struggle to believe that I read this. Posters on this thread (including myself) have highlighted failings that mount to total, utter incompetence by Conveyancers. People can hardly be blamed for wanting to keep an eye on events as they unfold, particularly as it is their money that will be lost in the event of failings or shortfalls by the company that they have employed.

On my last sale (of a student let with stamp duty implications of an extra 3% payable should the completion not go through by 31 March 2016) , I can say with utter certainty that had I not pretty much bullied the conveyancer that I employed, then she would have failed to get it through before close of play on 31 March 2016. As it was, it completed at 1645 on that day. Had it not gone through, then my buyer had assured me, he would have withdrawn from the sale. The conveyancer took a holiday and left things undisturbed on her desk whilst not bothering to inform those she was acting for. That is one of the many reasons that I so nearly lost the sale.

If conveyancers and associated staff maintained good communication with people who at the end of the day are employing them to do a job for them, then there would be no need to seek progress reports. Such high handed arrogance and a belief by the conveyancer and staff that they are ‘bestowing a wondrous gift’ on the customer by agreeing to carry out the work can only end in tears.

I have had frequent involvement with the legal profession in my long career as a DC and whilst the vast majority of those I dealt with were well motivated, helpful and professional with good communication skills (on both sides of the fence), it would seem that conveyancers are a different breed. As a D.C., I had to update each ongoing investigation with the regularity of contact, even if the update was .. ‘there is no update’’.

When I employ somebody to do a job, I expect them to keep me updated, whilst getting on with it. If I encountered your attitude, I would take my custom elsewhere. With what has been highlighted, you can hardly argue that customer lack of trust is misplaced.

Edited at 06:36 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I struggle to believe that I read this. Posters on this thread (including myself) have highlighted failings that mount to total, utter incompetence by Conveyancers. People can hardly be blamed for wanting to keep an eye on events as they unfold, particularly as it is their money that will be lost in the event of failings or shortfalls by the company that they have employed.

On my last sale (of a student let with stamp duty implications of an extra 3% payable should the completion not go through by 31 March 2016) , I can say with utter certainty that had I not pretty much bullied the conveyancer that I employed, then she would have failed to get it through before close of play on 31 March 2016. As it was, it completed at 1645 on that day. Had it not gone through, then my buyer had assured me, he would have withdrawn from the sale. The conveyancer took a holiday and left things undisturbed on her desk whilst not bothering to inform those she was acting for. That is one of the many reasons that I so nearly lost the sale.

If conveyancers and associated staff maintained good communication with people who at the end of the day are employing them to do a job for them, then there would be no need to seek progress reports. Such high handed arrogance and a belief by the conveyancer and staff that they are ‘bestowing a wondrous gift’ on the customer by agreeing to carry out the work can only end in tears.

I have had frequent involvement with the legal profession in my long career as a DC and whilst the vast majority of those I dealt with were well motivated, helpful and professional with good communication skills (on both sides of the fence), it would seem that conveyancers are a different breed.

When I employ somebody to do a job, I expect them to keep me updated, whilst getting on with it. If I encountered your attitude, I would take my custom elsewhere. With what has been highlighted, you can hardly argue that customer lack of trust is misplaced.

Well said, I employ my lawyer to do work I ask and to help free up my time and give me less stress not to add to my busy time and give me more stress.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

So is asking for an update once a week when the solicitor has all of the information they need to complete the process unreasonable?

Just to clarify the engagement with the solicitor was to remove my name from what was previously the marital home. I could have done this myself but considered advice was to engage a solicitor. They had all of the signed and witnessed documents 6 weeks ago - but hadn't filed on the land registry. They needed no further input from myself or my ex- they just needed to do it.

Really ?

Sorry dont accept that

Edited at 06:14 PM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

So is asking for an update once a week when the solicitor has all of the information they need to complete the process unreasonable?

Just to clarify the engagement with the solicitor was to remove my name from what was previously the marital home. I could have done this myself but considered advice was to engage a solicitor. They had all of the signed and witnessed documents 6 weeks ago - but hadn't filed on the land registry. They needed no further input from myself or my ex- they just needed to do it.

Really ?

Sorry dont accept that
Valid point BB, I think lawyers should check in with their clients to give a update at least once per week. After all they do charge enough. My guy is on £300 an hour...

I hope all is sorted with you now BB
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

Really ?

Sorry dont accept that
That is completely unacceptable. Electronic filing of the documents can be done by a legal secretary it doesn’t even require the conveyancer. This is an unacceptable level of service by any measure and a head of department or office head should admit this and apologise.

As for calling I would never advocate every day but if you don’t know what is happening then your solicitor is not keeping you properly updated and you should call. I say this as a lawyer (not a residential conveyancer but corporate real estate). Calls only slow you down if you are not on top of matters. I have said before on this thread though that the financials of conveyancing means they aren’t on top of matters as they have too many or the people are too junior. I mean they are getting paid for the entire job less than my hourly rate! However this means you need to push more than you otherwise would.
vhm672 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Thing is, buying a house is the biggest and one of the most stressful things in our life, not to mention the expense. I’m not legally trained so I don’t necessarily understand why it takes so long to finish the legal side.

I’m happy to let the conveyancers or solicitors ‘get on with the work’ without keep bothering them but equally I expect them to give me an estimated timescale and then regular and TIMELY updates as to progress or issues.

I don’t need a running commentary but weekly updates as a minimum. I’m paying them to work for me.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List