Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jul 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Get yourself a call blocking phone, ours is the BT8600 and works a treat. I can’t remember the last time I picked up my landline!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Instead of paying for a new phone with a call buster check to see if your provider can do it for free through your phone line.
I have the option to add for free one that screens all callers except any of my golden numbers and I can choose to accept or block before they are put through. The screening means most cold callers just hang up anyway .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A total scam
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I got one the other day and luckily I was on my way out so wasn’t going to give them the time anyway, but I did press 1 as the automated BT message sounds so plausible and it was about hacking. As soon as this Indian bloke said, ‘But they are stealing your internets!’, I put the phone down!

Deggs x
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinygog
slightly serious Dibber

My FIL had a call from Openreach the other day to say his Broadband was not working at full capacity, and they wanted his details. That was quite strange as he doesn't even have Broadband.

WDW: 2002, 2004 & 2008
DLP: 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2017 (Xmas) & 2018
Tinygog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Oh well. Next time I'll answer 'hello this is DCI *** *** Police 😁
The last similar one I had that was not a recorded message but an actual person told me I was going to be disconnected & knowing full well it was a scam I said, Give me your manager this is a Fraud Squad line & I have the ability to trace your call! They must have dropped the line like a hot brick. I have never since got another call about my BT wifi - so well worth trying it yourself as I guarantee you will get another call in a week or so.
Old 2 Jul 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

My FIL fell for a scam supposedly from BT. By the time he realised, they had installed software on his system and transferred £16,000 out of his accounts in an push payment fraud. Luckily we got it all back from the banks. Run out of fraud warehouses in India and ≈≈≈≈stan mainly.
Old 2 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

If it’s automated ignore. Most companies will not send a recorded message about internet being cut. Only reason for a phone company to do that is if you default your payments and then they will send you letters or emails. Never automated messages.

If you get cold called then ask if there is any way they can prove it. Sometimes you can give them the first part of the account number and they will fill in the rest or advise you to call the number (generic one you can find online) for that company.

If ever in doubt just hang up and call the company directly that way you know who your speaking to
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
arabella
Serious Dibber

all scams, as the only way you will ever know your broad band has gone down is when you cant connect.
i am being plagued with emails regarding a failed payment for my TV licence please send details to reset, licence says this is a common scam and when they shut one down a dozen pop up
i called the TV licence and they will only ever send a letter as do banks, sky etc
never trust anyone who phones,(never press 1) emails (delete do not read) or send a letter asking for your bank details without a total check through! and then triple check!

2020, couldn't go to go Endless Summer, Universal

Edited at 02:54 PM.
arabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
manchestereveningnews.co...dband-15903020
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List