Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Aug 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We’ve only been once as it didn’t have the same feel for us. I think it might have been different if we’d been there before WDW. We missed the American customer service, found the attitude of some of the guests in the park really rude and generally didn’t feel the magic. Also, the fact we could almost have done 2 weeks in Orlando at the time for what 3 days cost us finished it off!

Just to clarify, this was when it first opened and late deals for 14 nights in Orlando were far cheaper than they are now. I remember the halcyon days of 14 days for sub £300!

Edited at 07:11 PM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Hate it... there said it...

Would I go back, only if I was forced too and someone else was paying. Overpriced and underwhelming for me
It baffles me how people say DLP can be overpriced.

We've paid less for 5 nights next week in Davy Crockett Ranch including half board & park tickets than we have for four nights this week in Center Parcs, self catering. DLP offer some great discounts and deals and not necessarily just on the UK site - a little research usually pays dividends.

In addition, anyone who says they could go to WDW for the same price as DLP...I would love to see the budget and how the accomodation and travel budget compares

Edited at 08:09 AM.
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I keep wanting to take the kids there but as a family of six the rooms in the hotels dont accomodate us and we dont want to be stuck on the davy crocket ranch and have to drive
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
It baffles me how people say DLP can be overpriced.

We've paid less for 5 nights next week in Davy Crockett Ranch including half board & park tickets than we have for four nights this week in Center Parcs, self catering.
I thought this too. We went last year, 2 adults and a teen. We paid fractionally more than £1000 for us all. This included 3 nights Santa Fe, half board, park tickets, a character breakfast, Buffalo Bills show , flights from Manchester and airport transfers. That was in school holidays too.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Been a long time since I was last there, I'm probably talking 10-15 Years, but it didn't leave a good impression, but I seem to remember people telling me at the time that the park had some issues.

It was dirty, bins over flowing, staff didn't seem to care and in a while just seemed a little run down.

But, I've had friends who have been with their families over the past 2 years and have said they've loved every minute.
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

No, we all love it 😊 We prefer the main park to the MK tbh, rides are better and the park is prettier. Studios aren’t as good, but the best rides are in there.
I went to WDW first, but still like DLP more. Been back to WDW once to take the kids, been back to DLP many times.
We were going to go to WDW a few years ago, but the kids really weren’t bothered so we decided not to waste the money.
We’ll be back in DLP next week and really looking forward to it - it feels like ‘home’ as it’s so familiar.
We’ve never paid more than £2k for a 4 night stay and that was for Christmas (arriving Christmas Eve). Next week’s trip is costing us around £1200 for 4 adults, 1 teen for 4 nights, including travel.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

We first went when our kids were 1 and 3 in 2013 and it was magical. Our daughter loved the parades and so much rides for kids of that age. Being able to walk 20 mins back to the lodge and have the little one take an afternoon nap was great.

Went again at 2 & 4 and just as good.

Went again at 4 & 6... they cut Magic hours from 2 to 1 hours and closed tomorrow land. in the old days we would have ridden about 20 rides by 10am staying on the teacups and peter pan and being allowed to go round and round. After the cut lucky to get on 7 or 8 by 10am... It was good to get on BTM (which is better than MK) but the queues for RNR coaster,parachutes drop,RC racer and TOT were huge so it wasn't much fun...

So i would say pre school kids - its fantastic - primary school kids - not so good - secondary school kids - its a one day thing with big queues...

We finally got to Florida last year at 6 & 8 and it was great - but I am glad they were slightly older and able to walk and not need daytime naps! I also would have dreaded an Atlantic flight if they were younger!
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
vickiell
slightly serious Dibber

We love dlp and go every year. We are actually hopefully going to have 3 trips this year. We went in may to get our annual passes and we will be going at the end of August and the kids have actually asked if they can not have any Xmas presents this year, they just want to wake up in Disney. We have done wdw a few times but as other have said you can do dlp on a budget. 2 years ago we went for 10 nights (6 nights Davy Crockett and 4 nights sequoia lodge) and we paid just over £1000 for that.
I did go to dlp before wdw, it also feels like home to us and actually when we went in may I put a post on Facebook of the castle saying we were home.
I also do not like the whole mde for wdw and having to book fast passes 60 days out, its a slower pace at dlp and we are happy to just to wander round, the kids favourite thing to do is walk round adventure land in the dark and go up the treehouse.
The smoking can be annoying but we just walk away from it.
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

To honest when we went, the thing that left a sour taste was the price, it was so expensive (we did 4 nights in sequoia) and we spent 4 days freezing, it wasn’t too busy, as already said, the studios park was a bit pathetic (though I enjoyed the show things) and there wasn’t all that much in the DL park, I’d go again, but I wouldn’t pay as much as I did the first time!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We went last year with a family group and didn’t have a very good time, not all DLP fault I must say.

However we started off badly, arrived at Sequoia Lodge and we had booked 2 rooms with 2 doubles as we were with our teens so dh was sharing with ds and I was with dd so needed 4 beds. They had allocated Kings so we had to wait for them to try and find other rooms which they were struggling to do as it was Easter and they were full. They allocated new rooms which we accepted then realised they didn’t have the lake view we’d paid for. It took months for them to agree that the extra we paid for the view should be refunded and then they said they did as a goodwill gesture!

Anyway, back to the parks. I liked the Disneyland Park, I did feel it had the Magical vibe of Florida, the quick service food was shockingly slow- we queued up over 1.5 hours for very mediocre pizza, about 45 minutes to get a drink and snack.
Studios I felt had no atmosphere and I really didn’t like it at all.
The rides I went on were good, some better than Florida but other than the Extra Morning Hours queues were very long but to be expected.
It felt expensive, we paid about £2200 for hotel and tickets (as a package) plus flights, transfers and spends I reckon we must have spent about £3500 for 4 nights. SL felt basic for the price, had to take my own kettle for drinks in the room!
I think for young families it has a lot going for it, but for us with teens not so much.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List