Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Aug 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nitram64
Apprentice Imagineer

Old style paper licence

Hi i have always used my paper licence which iv'e had for 20 plus years. Last year when picking up the car the girl said she thought they were going to stop accepting them for car hire at some point but could give no detail. Are they still valid? anyone had any issues with it.
FLORIDA OCT 2000 01 02 03 04 NOV 05 OCT 06 NOV 07 OCT 08 09 10 SEPT 11 12 SEPT 2013 SAN FRAN LA VEGAS NOV 14 FLORIDA OCT 15 ORLANDO VEGAS MAY & SEPT/OCT 17 FLORIDA MAY 18 NOV 19 MAY22 SEP22 MAY 23 SEP 23 MAY 24
nitram64 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Alamo conditions say all hirers should produce a valid driving licence from their country. I have previously used the paper licence with passport
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not sure but why would you not have the new plastic one. If nothing else it is really useful if asked for ID and saves taking your passport with you all the while.

I thought the paper ones were no good anymore although sure someone will come along and confirm.
Old 16 Aug 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

Paper driving licences are still valid providing you haven’t moved address or changed your name etc
Billy Beatnik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

The old style paper driving licences are valid until you are 70 - so no need to change until then, unless your details change. The new photocards are charged for and have to keep being renewed. Why pay money for something that isn't necessary? My passport is my ID - that is what a passport is for. I don't need another ID. I hire cars several times a year both in the US and Europe - my paper licence is accepted without any problems. The only thing that changed in law was the bit of paper which accompanied the photocard was abolished.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
We still take ours, dh is proud he still has his and it’s saving him money
Oh and we’ve just hired a car through Alamo in Sicily still no problems or questions .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Not sure but why would you not have the new plastic one. If nothing else it is really useful if asked for ID and saves taking your passport with you all the while.

I thought the paper ones were no good anymore although sure someone will come along and confirm.
The counterpart to the photo licence is no longer valid. If you still have an old paper licence issued before the photo card came in then it is still a valid licence.
I am very proud of my old fogey licence. Don’t see why I should have to pay for a new licence and also have to renew it every 10 years. This one is good until I am70 !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
The counterpart to the photo licence is no longer valid. If you still have an old paper licence issued before the photo card came in then it is still a valid licence.
I am very proud of my old fogey licence. Don’t see why I should have to pay for a new licence and also have to renew it every 10 years. This one is good until I am70 !
You can look forward to the time when you have to renew it at 70 every three years - as we've just done for the second time.

But just to repeat what others have said. If you do use the old style licence you must carry your passport with you all the time whilst driving.

Mick
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

It's been a sad month this August as I've turned 70 and have reluctantly had to exchange my paper licence for yet another piece of of obscure plastic. I always enjoyed hiring a vehicle using my paper licence.
Never had a traffic offence so nil points only one parking ticket and that was in a RN car with civilian plates.
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The downside to serving in the RAF (and being an Army brat) was the constant moving around. The 9 years we've lived here is the longest I've ever lived anywhere in my life and I'm nearly 50! Can't remember when I last just had a paper licence.
dpmcalister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List