Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think fruit and veg is fairly poor in all the shops. I have never shopped in Tes o so cannot comment. Asda isn’t too bad but I don’t like how it is all pre packaged and no option to buy just a couple of apples etc. I usually shop at Morrison’s and I find them to be reasonably ok. I don’t buy any fresh products from Aldi due to too many bad experiences of food not lasting. We have a Lidl but I find the choice there to be poor. We have no local shops at all nearby. Occasionally I go to Bury market which is the most fantastic old fashioned outdoor and indoor market but it is too far to go regularly.

Husband does grow some veg but I don’t think we will ever be self sufficient!
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by keeley78 View Post
Past couple of times I’ve bought a few loose onions in Tesco they’ve been rank, brown, mushy & unusable after peeling, I checked the packed ones the other day & they felt too soft so I went to Lidl, I emailed a complaint weeks ago but have had no reply, I should have mentioned it in store really as their customer service is excellent
I've had that with the Tesco onions also. Not been able to make soup for ages. That's a bit rude you didn't get any reply.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I think fruit and veg is fairly poor in all the shops. I have never shopped in Tes o so cannot comment. Asda isn’t too bad but I don’t like how it is all pre packaged and no option to buy just a couple of apples etc. I usually shop at Morrison’s and I find them to be reasonably ok. I don’t buy any fresh products from Aldi due to too many bad experiences of food not lasting. We have a Lidl but I find the choice there to be poor. We have no local shops at all nearby. Occasionally I go to Bury market which is the most fantastic old fashioned outdoor and indoor market but it is too far to go regularly.

Husband does grow some veg but I don’t think we will ever be self sufficient!
I think the same as you, I wish all fruit and veg were loose not pre packed.
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Disgusting they are selling under par fruit and veg chasing profit
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Quality in all my local shops is pretty rubbish. Nothing seems fresh, all refrigerated to the end of their shelf-life then put out for sale.
Bought a garlic bulb in Tesco - it was in a worse state than the 1 I had just thrown out as it was springing.
Are M&S any better?(twice the price I know).
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
Quality in all my local shops is pretty rubbish. Nothing seems fresh, all refrigerated to the end of their shelf-life then put out for sale.
Bought a garlic bulb in Tesco - it was in a worse state than the 1 I had just thrown out as it was springing.
Are M&S any better?(twice the price I know).
Not sure about M and S we don't have one near us. Would be interested to hear from M and S Dibbers.
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

M&S is actually quite good and very competitive with some items, I find their cucumbers, bananas, strawberries, lettuce and potatoes very good quality and the same price as Tesco! Their eggs are great too and are only £1.50 for 10!
Princess Ariel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I much prefer M&S for fresh fruit and veg. Much better quality. For veg, except onions and potatoes, I usually buy frozen ones.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Mobile

I buy frozen onions and peppers for using in shepherds pies or Bolognese/ lasagna, if buying fresh I buy ready prepared and use within 2 days.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I suspect the fruit and veg that go rotten quickly have been harvested when unripe and transported in very cold chiller trucks to stop them ripening. When they hit the shops they warm up to “room temperature” and the ripening process kicks in fast.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List