Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 16 Jul 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiger lily 3
Trying for More Ears

Is tax on the receipt the tip ?

It seems a lot of people are paying for things by card these days not cash can I ask how you pay a tip in restaurants do they automatically add this on to the receipt . I have seen some receipts in trip reports and it shows tax is this the tip ? Thanks experts
Tiger lily 3 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

No that’s the sales tax unlike the uk it’s shown separate
It’s a personal choice wether to tip with or with out the tax added
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

No the tax is like a VAT that we have to pay here, however you don't tip the tax , so say the bill is $10 and the tax is $1 you only pay your percentage you are paying for the tip on the $10 not the $11. I think the the sales tax is 7.5% and some people double the tax amount and round it up for a tip.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
There is a section on the bill where you may write on the amount you want to tip and this will then be added to the card transaction.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
think the the sales tax is 7.5% and some people double the tax amount and round it up for a tip.
the tip issue is the ultimate can of worms, lol

taxes in Florida are 6.5% in the WDW area (orange county), except for the All Stars (osceola county) where it's 7%

doubling the tax amount and rounding it might be the way to go for some, but probably on the cheapish side (not judging here)

6.5 * 2 = 13%, even rounded that's 14% or lower

customary tip for standard service is around 15%
good service (what is expected) is suggested to be 18% and excellent service 20% or more

many restaurants (disney will do that) will show the suggested amount for 15, 18 and 20% on the receipt, so the guest does not have to do the maths

OP : you can write the tip amount on the receipt, and the waiter can charge to the card

or, if you wish to leave a tip in cash, on the table, be sure to write CASH on the receipt where you are supposed to write the tip down, and most of all do not write any amount, or the amount you left in cash, or the waiter might charge your card for the tip, when you've left the cash on the table
It will avoid issues and limit the risk of paying a tip twice.

The tip is calculated on the pretax

Your question also raises the question of your awareness regarding taxes in the US
so, even if it might be overkill, let me just remind that all of the prices in the US are shown pre-tax
taxes will be added at the register upon check out

so, in a store, the price you see on the tag will not be the price you pay.
if it shows $10 on the price tag, you'll be asked for $10.65 (orange county) or $10.70 (osceola county).

Edited at 10:26 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
the tip issue is the ultimate can of worms, lol

taxes in Florida are 6.5% in the WDW area (orange county), except for the All Stars (osceola county) where it's 7%

doubling the tax amount and rounding it might be the way to go for some, but probably on the cheapish side (not judging here)

6.5 * 2 = 13%, even rounded that's 14% or lower

customary tip for standard service is around 15%
good service (what is expected) is suggested to be 18% and excellent service 20% or more

many restaurants (disney will do that) will show the suggested amount for 15, 18 and 20% on the receipt, so the guest does not have to do the maths

OP : you can write the tip amount on the receipt, and the waiter can charge to the card

or, if you wish to leave a tip in cash, on the table, be sure to write CASH on the receipt where you are supposed to write the tip down, and most of all do not write any amount, or the amount you left in cash, or the waiter might charge your card for the tip, when you've left the cash on the table
It will avoid issues and limit the risk of paying a tip twice.

The tip is calculated on the pretax

Your question also raises the question of your awareness regarding taxes in the US
so, even if it might be overkill, let me just remind that all of the prices in the US are shown pre-tax
taxes will be added at the register upon check out

so, in a store, the price you see on the tag will not be the price you pay.
if it shows $10 on the price tag, you'll be asked for $10.65 (orange county) or $10.70 (osceola county).
You say it so much better than me. BTW I don't use that double the tax and bit formula, I'm lazy and just look at the suggested tip
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tiger lily 3 View Post
It seems a lot of people are paying for things by card these days not cash can I ask how you pay a tip in restaurants do they automatically add this on to the receipt . I have seen some receipts in trip reports and it shows tax is this the tip ? Thanks experts
No, tax is the state & county tax - similar to our VAT (well, sort of). Unlike our VAT which is included in the price, in Florida the tax is quoted separately to the price. You have to pay the tax. The tax goes to local government to pay for public services like VAT here.

The tip is something different. The tip is voluntary but customary and goes to the server (usually). You don't have to tip if you don't want to and, if you do, you can choose how much to tip. However, people usually do tip in restaurants (and a few other places) and they tend to tip 15% to 20% for table service meals and 10% for offsite buffet meals. You can tip more if the service is great, and less if the service is lousy. These are approximate values; you do not have to tip an exact amount.

Personally, I tend to work out a rough value and tip that amount. If the bill came to, say, $81.55 I know that 20% of this is roughly $16 and 15% is roughly $12. Therefore I'll probably tip somewhere between the two - maybe $13 or $14. However, some restaurants work out some suggested tips for you on the bill, so you can just use those if you want.

If paying on a credit card, just write the amount you want to tip on the bill - there's usually a space to write this. In total you will pay: the cost of the meal + tip + tax on the meal.

Here's an example:

In the above example, the meal came to $83.96 and the tax is $5.46 (6.5% of the meal). The minimum you have to pay is $89.42 (the total of the meal and tax). There are then suggested tips of 18% and 20% underneath that based on the $83.96 meal cost. You can write how much you want to tip in the area below that and then write the total. You credit card will be charged that total.

As for who you can tip and how much it is suggested you tip whilst in Florida, see the following guidebook page:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Tip...ando-p-40.html

HTH.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:52 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List