Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
UK tipping, hairdresser, beauticians etc

I think I worry more about tipping in the UK than in the US now because I feel that if I’m not sure about US I come on here and can find out easily

Do you tip your hairdresser and if yes how much, also same for beautician?
I have always given my hairdresser a couple of £s but now my cut and blow dry is over £40 that seems a bit stingy so I’ve given £3 but when I looked on the internet it seems people give up to 20%
Also my nails are done every 3 weeks, I’ve never tipped at the beauticians but have the same lovely girl do my nails so I gave her £10 at Christmas and £20 for her birthday but nothing the rest of the time.
I’m wondering if I’m getting it totally wrong, would be grateful to find out.
After seeing a thread on here about memory problems I’m also worried I’ve asked this before but forgotten...I’m also a lady of a certain age
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I used to tip hairdressers and beauticians but I have stopped now. I stopped when I lived overseas as it was not the done thing there and I just never started again when I came back to UK. My hair appointments cost about £150 for colour, cut and blow dry that takes about 90 minutes.

I thought the latest school of thought was that these are professions and tipping the hairdresser would now be as odd as tipping your solicitor or accountant, but I am also a little unsure.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don’t tip my hairdresser. She put her prices up a lot a few years ago so I stopped the tip.

I went to a new nail salon in the week. Her prices were low because she was new. Nails were £15 so I gave her £5 extra because she did a good job.
I don’t really think it is expected now and your gifts sound ok to me. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I don't always tip at the hairdressers or when getting my nails done. It depends on how I feel the experience has been, if I think they've done a great job I'll tip, if its just okay I won't.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Thanks both. Yes I’m not sure why we do tip tbh !
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I only use the hairdressers and tbh I rarely tip. My hairs £100 a time
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Don’t tip here in Spain and I no longer tip If im using a hairdresser in the U.K.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I tip hair dresser a tenner. My bill is always around £100.
Beautician round it up.
Didn't tip at Spa as we paid well over the odds anyway
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

Many hairdressers employed by salons in the UK are hourly paid, which is quite often not much more than minimum wage.
Billy Beatnik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Tbh my hairdresser is very cheap compared to a lot. She is literally yards away from a Hairdresser who thinks he is the bees knees and would consider his shop a top salon but I have had and known people have some awful disasters at that salon and I honestly would turn down a free “do” there. He probably charges way over double what she charges - I have blonde streaks/darker blonde roots and cut and blow and I think the most I EVER pay is £50 and I tend to tip her about £2 or £3 which seems really stingy now. She does go on at times about how cheap she is compared to other salons etc but her keeping her prices low I think guarantees she is always busy.
My nails and stuff I get done at my nieces salon. Dd and I go and she pays for nails cos her gym membership comes out of my bank and I pay for our brows - it comes to £18 and I always say “take £20” so now she just does.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List