Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Ben hasn’t looked at any accommodation for next year yet. I did ask him if any of the friends he has made have said anything about sharing but he said it’s not really been mentioned yet. I think I will get him to start looking in the New Year, very hard to know who to share with at the moment.
I definitely think it’s wise to be sure of the flatmates first. Georgia is happy with her friends and think they will all be good to share with but even so, she wants to have a better idea of what area to live in and what sort of prices they should be paying etc

I think she will be hoping to find something by early January but she isn’t keen on rushing into it
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I think it’s good that they have accommodation sorted for two years. It gives them a chance to settle in and make friends without the hurry. Would he be sharing after the first two years or move in on his own?
I think sharing as it would be to expensive otherwise!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Melbatb

was watching the videos from HK uni today on the bbc hope your son safe and sound and well away from any flare ups.

It is hard enough with normal uni worries about our kids but the situation in HK must be giving you a whole other level of worry. Does he put your mind to rest about it when you talk to him?

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Melbatb

was watching the videos from HK uni today on the bbc hope your son safe and sound and well away from any flare ups.

It is hard enough with normal uni worries about our kids but the situation in HK must be giving you a whole other level of worry. Does he put your mind to rest about it when you talk to him?
I was also reading about how some UK university’s are withdrawing their students(on a year abroad programme) from HK uni due to safety fears. I hope you’re son is fine and that the trouble stops soon.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi,

Thanks got thinking of us. HK is his home university. Classes have been cancelled this week and next week they will be online. Apart from last Friday when things got a bit heated at his university (as the student who died studied there) it has been very quiet - mainly students have gone home.

DS is off to Thailand on Sunday with some of his fellow students. As the courses are online they will study next to the beach! The university is too quiet and they feel a bit isolated but totally safe.

I am currently changing his flight home to the beginning of December (thankfully it is changeable). The end of semester exams have been cancelled and each professor will decide how to assess the students.

It has been worrying but DS has deadly with it all amazingly and is determined to return in February - hopefully things will have calmed down.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Hi,

Thanks got thinking of us. HK is his home university. Classes have been cancelled this week and next week they will be online. Apart from last Friday when things got a bit heated at his university (as the student who died studied there) it has been very quiet - mainly students have gone home.

DS is off to Thailand on Sunday with some of his fellow students. As the courses are online they will study next to the beach! The university is too quiet and they feel a bit isolated but totally safe.

I am currently changing his flight home to the beginning of December (thankfully it is changeable). The end of semester exams have been cancelled and each professor will decide how to assess the students.

It has been worrying but DS has deadly with it all amazingly and is determined to return in February - hopefully things will have calmed down.
Oh goodness Mel, so pleased to hear that he is safe and sound. It sounds like the university is dealing with everything well and made decisions to cancel the exams. Your son is such a mature young man and clearly has a very positive mindset in being determined to go back in February. I hope he enjoys Thailand and fabulous to have him home even sooner than you thought in December.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Hi,

It must have been very worrying for you. Your son has been very mature handling the unexpected changes, although I’m sure it’s a relief to you all to have the break early now and hope things will be calmer by February for his return

He has got a wonderful opportunity to travel a little now, and I’m sure you will be pleased to have him home early for a prolonged Xmas stay 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Looking at the horrible images coming from Bolton this morning. Hope all safe and well. From a dibb perspective hope nobodies child has been caught up in it all.

One of the kids was spoken to and she said she was in her flat and the fire alarm was going off, and it kept going off and going off. Then somebody ran down the corridor and said it was a real fire not a drill. And then they all left.

My DD once told me that the fire alarms in her halls were really sensitive and kitchen cooking smoke was forever setting theirs off (not Bolton). And drills etc, and she used to stay in her room too.

We had a little conversation about when the alarm goes and you are expected to leave the building, you leave the building.

I am glad they were all apparently able to leave the building quickly once they decided to go.

I am aware it's a shock and they have lost everything, but the whole thing makes me shudder with what ifs.

Horrible.

Ps as an aside, another really good example of why our kids should also be saving all their work to the cloud. The example I had given previously was spilling beer on their laptop, but this is far less likely but far more permanent reason.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Horrifying.

Hope all the kids got out safely and let their families know they are ok.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Seeing all the pictures this morning it’s so sad. I really hope everyone got out safely ❤️
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List