Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 6 Sep 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
maronnettes
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Looks great. I go in 3 weeks and I was going to get the hummingbird cake but now I've seen the key lime pie I can't decide! It looks amazing 😁
maronnettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Loving this so far, I was exactly the same as you regarding the puds at Teppan Edo - I'll have the Mango as it's included only to be really suprised at how nice it was.

We also loved Homecomin, everything was just spot on from the service to the food - although the Humingbird cake was enjoyed for breakfast the next day - those slices of cake are huge.
Old 10 Sep 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Ooh, I’m not a fried chicken on the bone fan but if they’re happy to substitute then I think we’ll give that a whirl.
I am such a fan of key lime pie so I think that’s swung it for me.
I like it to be sour enough to make me screw my face up!😋

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tink18
Serious Dibber

tink18's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Day 5

Tusker House

This morning we were off to Animal Kingdom for breakfast at Tusker House. I went here with my family years ago and whilst I loved it (mainly for the ducks and tater tots) no one else was overly enamoured, so I thought as DF wanted to try some new places we’d go here, I took his rule to mean new to him would count.

We turned up 10 minutes late but like most places it wasn’t a problem, in fact aside from a few loud eye rolls it never seems to be a problem. Now I’m not saying everyone should just turn up when they feel like it but no need to send your blood pressure through the roof and start the morning off with an argument.

We were taken inside and told that Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Mickey would be visiting our table and to help ourselves to the buffet that included traditional breakfast items and a few African items.

DF went first and grabbed his usual bacon and bagel. He also picked up a sausage and mickey waffle. These were the standard good Disney buffet staples. The only issue he had was he couldn’t find the ketchup, for those of you who need ketchup it can be found on the kids station.

I grabbed some pancakes, bacon and tater tots. Again pretty standard apart from the tater tots, I love these little beauties and think they should be standard across the breakfasts. They were nice and crispy for those who like me fear a soggy tot.

Went up again and grabbed some Krispy Kreme doughnut holes for DF and a bowl of grapes for me. As you can see from what I’ve put up so far our choices are severely lacking in healthy options and I was feeling the need for some fruit. The grapes were actually quite nice and I enjoyed them more that red grapes we get back home. DF was happy he really likes Krispy Kreme and he also noted Disney are actually labelling the doughnuts as Krispy Kreme now where as they weren’t before. They’ve always been the ones served, we saw them taking them out of the boxes before at Boma but for some reason didn’t advertise them as that.

With the addition of POG juice (passion fruit/orange/guava) this is a great breakfast and it’s fun to see the characters in their safari outfits. Service was fine no issues, I can’t think of a reason that this won’t be on our list for next year.

Credits 2 TS
Total $72.42

Starbucks

It was getting quite warm with a feels like of 100 and something so we grabbed some drinks from Starbucks. We went with our favourites Grande Vanilla Bean Frappuccino and a Trenti Very Berry Hibiscus. Great as always and I’m very sorry as this is probably going to be our standard order from now on. My brother joined us to grab a drink and riding Everest. He also got the Vanilla Frappuccino. I can’t stress how good a use of credits the drinks here are, any drink any size for a snack credit. Personally I think its much better than a bottle of coke but it depends if you like the menu I suppose.

Credits 2 Snacks
Total $11.17

Flame Tree BBQ

After Everest we met up with my parents who were having lunch in Flame Tree BBQ. I was getting a little peckish so used mobile ordering to get a portion of Onion Rings. Now whilst this isn’t the biggest value in terms of cost on the plan, it is a massive portion.

The rings were hot and crispy and went nicely with the different BBQ sauces they offer here. DF and I shared them with my dad adding a few to his pulled pork sandwich. They filled the gap nicely.

Credits 1 snacks
Total $4.78

Plaza Ice Cream Parlor

After a few rides in Magic DF was starting to feel the heat and like all good future husbands should do he suggested using a snack to help us cool down, but not a drink no he suggested sharing an ice cream cookie sandwich from the Plaza on Main Street.

These sandwiches are great, you can choose your ice cream flavour and they’re freshly made to order just like the sundaes. We chose cookies and cream.

It’s hard to find a seat outside so we grabbed a shaded spot on the floor near the purple wall.

We enjoyed it, the cookies aren’t the best but they are quite sturdy and don’t get soggy from the ice cream melting. Just a quick tip if there is more than one of you and you are splitting this, whilst waiting at the counted for your sandwich after you’ve paid. One of you head over to Casey’s to grab a knife, it was so easy to split by cutting it, not sure it would have easily broken in half and they only have spoons in the plaza.

Credits 1 snack
Total $6.38

Ohana

Tonight we went to Ohana in the Polynesian resort. We’ve been here before and thoroughly enjoyed. It was one of the first on the list for this year. We had a late reservation at 8:15 so planned if we had a good view to stay and watch happily ever after. When we checked in we asked if we could have a table near the window but they told us that they don’t take requests as they get too many. We waited maybe ten minutes for the table and got seated over on the far right of the restaurant one table back from the window with a nice view.

I’ll sort of do this review backwards and do the overall first. The service was awful, he spoke probably 20 words to us throughout and tried rushing us. We were given our salad and skillet very quickly together. The meats are then brought round by other servers and they felt ready to pounce as soon as they saw our skillet on the table, now they are good in that ours came back to offer us more but it did feel a lot in a short time frame. Now I wasn’t being rushed so stretched out my eating and kept picking at my noodles almost as an act of defiance against our server who kept looking over to see if I was done as he clearly wanted to flip our table. When he took our food I did say I was feeling full and would need a break before dessert, I said it like a joke and it seemed to work but it was a normal timing between food rather than an actual break.

Now for the food

First is the pineapple coconut bread, the greeter that shows you to your table grabs this on the way. This is ok, we didn’t eat much as it’s not our favourite but we ate about a third so was nice enough.

Then came the salad, I don’t like salad and didn’t try it as I knew the other food is what I wanted.

The skillet was next out with grilled veggies, noodles, pot stickers and chicken wings. This is the highlight of the meal for me. I adore those noodles and the pot stickers are very good. There is a sauce on the noodles but can’t remember what it was sorry. Also the veggies have baby corn and I love those! (This is likely to be the only enthusiasm over vegetables). DF really enjoyed the noodles and the pot stickers for him were better than he remembered from before, the chicken wings are chicken wings and he ate all of them.

The skewers were promptly brought around, chicken, steak and shrimp. Neither of us tried the shrimp but the steak and chicken were good, not overly cooked or dry either. I preferred the steak whereas DF preferred the chicken. I took my time as usual and our server finally seemed to get the idea. He took his time bringing the dessert which arrived just in time for the fireworks.

Dessert is bread pudding with a caramel banana foster sauce. The bread pudding has pineapple in it and I may be making this up but I think someone told me it’s made with the bread you have at the start.

This is delicious! So good with the caramel and lovely pudding and ice cream. It’s a great dessert, DF also loves this and he isn’t the biggest fan of bread pudding.

So overall we enjoyed Ohana and we will go again but it did leave a dark cloud over our meal with the service and feeling rushed.

credits 2 TS
total $ 97.98

Day Total
QS: 0
Snacks: 4
TS: 4
Dining plan value $192.73

Running Total
QS: 10/28
Snacks: 15/56
TS: 10/28
Dining Plan Value $722.03
tink18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I hear a lot of mixed things about Ohana, but everyone says the service is rushed! You did right to push back and eat at your own pace. I hope you didn't leave him a very good tip if he barely spoke to you?
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tink18
Serious Dibber

tink18's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by maronnettes View Post
Looks great. I go in 3 weeks and I was going to get the hummingbird cake but now I've seen the key lime pie I can't decide! It looks amazing 😁
I really enjoyed the key lime pie, but it depends on what you like. I get the impression everything they do is good
tink18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tink18
Serious Dibber

tink18's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by redredshopper View Post
Loving this so far, I was exactly the same as you regarding the puds at Teppan Edo - I'll have the Mango as it's included only to be really suprised at how nice it was.

We also loved Homecomin, everything was just spot on from the service to the food - although the Humingbird cake was enjoyed for breakfast the next day - those slices of cake are huge.
That Mango cake was so good I’d order it on a menu if it wasn’t included lol

I still dream about Homecomin wish we had some in the UK, those portions are huge and such good quality delicious food you can’t go wrong
Old 14 Sep 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tink18
Serious Dibber

tink18's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Ooh, I’m not a fried chicken on the bone fan but if they’re happy to substitute then I think we’ll give that a whirl.
I am such a fan of key lime pie so I think that’s swung it for me.
I like it to be sour enough to make me screw my face up!😋
They were so good with swapping out I couldn’t believe it, there were a few options between chicken breast, thighs and the burger that I lost track and got DF to choose lol one option included an extra charge but I think it was a larger portion and I’m glad I didn’t do that as it was large as it was.

The key lime pie wasn’t sour it was sweet like a lemon meringue pie
Old 14 Sep 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
tink18
Serious Dibber

tink18's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I hear a lot of mixed things about Ohana, but everyone says the service is rushed! You did right to push back and eat at your own pace. I hope you didn't leave him a very good tip if he barely spoke to you?
No we didn’t, I bothered us more that he was talking to another table a lot, not sure if it was his friends or he just didn’t like us for some reason
Old 8 Oct 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melissaur
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by tink18 View Post
Day 4

I have a thing about chicken on the bone, I don’t like eating it at home its far too fiddly and I never eat it in public. Yes I am very aware of how I sound. I asked our waitress about subbing out the chicken, replacing the chicken that comes with doughnuts for the chicken pieces from the burger, she came back with loads of options for what I could do. Then just to be super awkward I subbed out the mashed potato for fries, because there just wasn’t enough fried food on the plate already. DF managed to remain calm during the process of me deciding what I wanted to eat/ordering despite it delaying his eating another 10 minutes.
This is so good to hear! I love fried chicken but I really don't like eating it off the bone (especially in public) so it's great to know that they would accommodate the changes! Homecomin' might have to go back on our list for next year now!

I think this is my perfect Food Report as I don't like cheese (to a point where I don't even have it on pizza) so it's handy to see how things are without it!

Walt Disney World - 2001, 2003, 2005, 2012 & 2015

Next trip planning has begun for Disneyland Paris 2024
Melissaur is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List