Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Oct 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Most airlines, given an airborne nut allergy risk, would not serve nuts.

Could be wrong, they may risk it for 9 hours, and a diversion to an unknown airport, providing maximum inconvenience to the other 99% of pax

Disney332

Edited at 11:24 PM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Helen J View Post
This is always a big concern for us, as my DH has an allergy to all nuts. We don't know if his allergy is airborne, he was diagnosed many years ago, they didn't do any tests back then for airborne allergies.

I would have always assumed that anyone who has a nut allergy, would also be affected by the airborne particles of the nuts. It is the dust on the nuts that becomes airborne, we have also always assumed that my DH is safe from anyone eating, say a tomato and pesto sandwich, near to him, as there are no particles to become airborne. If this isn't the case, I would love it if someone would let me know.

Virgin serve nuts (not peanuts) with almost every meal. There are often nuts on the salad and pesto in their sandwiches. The biggest concern for me is these items can be dropped anywhere and then not thoroughly cleaned up. So I take my dettol wipes and wipe down everywhere when we get on.

We have never asked for an announcement to be made, although we have heard them, because my DH doesn't like to make a fuss. But I think I will the next time we fly as my DH does get quite anxious on the flight, when you have been rushed to A & E with your airways closing, you don't want the idea of that happening when you are miles from a hospital.

If the idiots who eat nuts on a plane when they have been asked not to, were aware they may cause the flight to be diverted or turned around, I'm sure they wouldn't eat them then.

TUI are the best in my opinion for allergy sufferers, we haven't flown with them for a while but the last time we did they had a large folder with all the allergy information in, for everything that they served on the flight. They gave the folder to my DH so he could check what he could eat. We usually just take his own food though.

A few weeks ago we went on a Virgin train in first class, they were giving out nuts to the passengers. My DH then spent the next 30 minutes with his coat over his nose and mouth. Most food allergies are not airborne, so there's no danger as long as you don't eat what you are allergic to, but nuts are different, they should never be given out on any form of transport.
Hi,
I was interested to read your post as I was not aware that Pesto had pine nuts in it although, they are in a different family to tree nuts and are generally classed as a seed. I don’t think I was tested for these for my allergy test.

I have a severe allergy to tree nuts and carry two epi-pens with me. Worst allergen is hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts - I only have an anaphylactic reaction if I have ingested them. DH occasionally eats them and the boys have Nutella (they are so respectful and Dettox the kitchen worktop etc), that I have not thought about airborne particles.

I was tested some 15 years ago and was told that my allergy would become more severe as I got older .. I do not eat any unwrapped chocolates now that have been in a box with contaminated chocolates ... I used to be able to eat the strawberry cremes in Milk Tray

Strangely though, I can eat peanuts and pistachios. I don’t order a special meal as the packets now have printed all the ingredients. I also eat “May contain traces of nuts”. My DH is in the food industry and for the manufacturing department to say that there are definitely no traces of nuts would be granted, if the staff do not take nuts in their lunch boxes ... II have been told it is a statement made so that the company will not be liable.

It’s a real pain having an allergy, and feel for everyone that has to deal with it too.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii

Edited at 10:57 PM.
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

In my opinion Virgin are by far the worst.. we boarded the plane once to find lots of peanuts all over the floor. I had to get my son out of the way and get on my hands n knees to pick them up because the cabin crew refused to move us or help.
We had to use our blankets to cover the carpet and literally wipe every surface to keep him safe.

Tui by far the best.

All airlines will do the announcement if you remind them on entering the plane but its usually about 10 minutes after take off and with everyone onboard talking only a minority listen.

If you ask at the boarding gate they will usually let one member of the party to board earlier to be able to wipe down tray tables, seat fabric, seat belts etc prior to the allergy person entering.
Do remember though bathroom door handles etc could be contaminated with nuts depending who has touched it previously.
We carry 4 EpiPens onboard with a doctors note.

Safe travels x
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Pretty much every VA flight we have been on they do an announcement before take off - happened again a couple of weeks ago.

The people opposite then made a "joke" about - quick get the peanuts out...
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Hrm27
Apprentice Imagineer

We flew ba on Thursday and we just let them know at both check in and again when we were going through to boarding. They did an announcement when taking off and again when they were preparing to serve food.
Old 21 Oct 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
On page 152 in the inflight magazine for AA "American Way" they print their statement with regard to Nut Allergy.

"Although we don't serve peanuts, we do serve other nut products (such as warm nuts) and there may be trace elements of unspecified nut ingredient, including peanut oils, in meals and snacks. Additionally, other customers can bring peanuts or other tree nuts onboard. We can't accommodate requests not to serve certain foods or to provide nut "buffer zones". Our planes are cleaned regularly, but can't guarantee the removal of nut allergens on surfaces or in the air filters. Because of this, we can't guarantee you won't be exposed to peanuts or other tree nuts during flight, and we strongly encourage those with allergies to take all the necessary medical precautions before flying"

So they have set out their position quite markedly, no doubt to cover themselves and I can't remember ever hearing anything about nut allergies on AA aircraft.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I recently flew with Aer LIngus and they announced that as there was a nut allergic person on board they would not be serving any and would people please not open any packets of nuts.
However I do think most people don't realise how severe these allergies can be. They might ask the person right next to them "Is it you?" and if the answer is "no" they would think it's OK to eat nuts then because they're not near the allergic person. After all, most allergies are only triggered when you actually eat the offending allergen so that's what people think.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

More and more flights now have the announcement re. nut allergies and ask all pax not to consume any... my issue is I love nuts! I know its not the allergy suffers fault but I wish the airlines would email all passengers prior to travel to state it is a nut free flight. PPL with severe allergies generally give airlines plenty of notice so I dont see why its a problem. Many a flight I have gone hungry as all I took onboard was snacks with nuts (not realising they are basically in everything tasty). Its so common on my internal flights now that I have given up my nutty snacks. Airlines as a whole dont seem to be great at planning with these type of things, it would be easier to make all flights worldwide nut free. Hilton hotels worldwide offer a warm cookie when you check-in, it always has walnuts in it and i always think its a weird choice.
lorna_99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lorna_99 View Post
More and more flights now have the announcement re. nut allergies and ask all pax not to consume any... my issue is I love nuts! I know its not the allergy suffers fault but I wish the airlines would email all passengers prior to travel to state it is a nut free flight. PPL with severe allergies generally give airlines plenty of notice so I dont see why its a problem. Many a flight I have gone hungry as all I took onboard was snacks with nuts (not realising they are basically in everything tasty). Its so common on my internal flights now that I have given up my nutty snacks. Airlines as a whole dont seem to be great at planning with these type of things, it would be easier to make all flights worldwide nut free. Hilton hotels worldwide offer a warm cookie when you check-in, it always has walnuts in it and i always think its a weird choice.
Unfortunately for whatever reason people don't always inform airlines in advance of their allergies. It just wouldn't be possible for "airlines worldwide" to make all flights nut free - as explained by the reply by stanleycamel about the AA article in their magazine.

I hope you can find some tasty snacks without nuts or traces of them for your longer journeys and it is good that you are thoughtful and responsible on your internal flights by not taking nutty snacks.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry I wrote a really long reply and then lost it all.

Could those people with an airborne allergy risk not wear a surgical mask to combat the threat?

Genuine question not an attempt to shift responsibility.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List