Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I considered NYE - due to my MIL’s terminal illness we had to arrange things in a hurry so it was always going to be winter.

I know that you say that will lay on transport ...but don’t forget not everyone will choose to stay at the Premier Inn (assuming it’s available) unless you are paying for them. People who live locally will have to drive or will have difficulty/costs in getting a taxi. Childcare as you have mentioned will be a problem, and if you invite them, parents won’t be able to go back to the hotel easily With their children when they choose - they will be forced to stay to the end with tired crotchety children waiting for the transport as NYE will be busy.

In the future, eVery anniversary you will pay over the odds for your celebration and compete with other activities.

Personally, I would only do it if my venue was also going to be the hotel for ease and convenience. In the end, we opted for January and took over a hotel in the Lake District and everyone stayed Friday and Saturday, which was very relaxed and there were no other guests outside of my wedding party which was lovely.

If I were invited to a NYE wedding would I go? Probably, but we don’t drink, so driving home wouldn’t be an issue... I know people who would consider drinking a deal breaker!

Good luck.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

As a guest, as long as we could get the night off work we would absolutely be there.

From a business side, the venue my OH is a wedding coordinator for the price for a wedding on NYE is so much more. They never open NYE so everything is doubled, and that’s just the venue and catering. Suppliers will likely do the same.

As a guest though we’d definitely be there if we could get the time off
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
As a guest, as long as we could get the night off work we would absolutely be there.

From a business side, the venue my OH is a wedding coordinator for the price for a wedding on NYE is so much more. They never open NYE so everything is doubled, and that’s just the venue and catering. Suppliers will likely do the same.

As a guest though we’d definitely be there if we could get the time off
Scaramouche some of the prices we have seen for NYE have been outrageous. One place quoted us 20k just for the venue hire! It was a definite no from us. Luckily the venue we have our sights set on just charge peak Saturday rates for NYE - and I already have this in writing from them! Perhaps slightly more than you would pay for any other Saturday in December, but certainly within range for us.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
becky2203
Imagineer

becky2203's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

We've had this discussion before and always said we find Xmas Eve/NYE weddings annoying (having turned down invites to them in the past). As another poster said, if you can't stay in accommodation near the venue (we have pets we couldn't just stay the night away from) then taxis are impossible, or someone needs to drive.

NYE is a great night anyway, even for someone like me who never goes out for it. Why not make another date your special anniversary?
JMHO
becky2203 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerLily8 View Post
Scaramouche some of the prices we have seen for NYE have been outrageous. One place quoted us 20k just for the venue hire! It was a definite no from us. Luckily the venue we have our sights set on just charge peak Saturday rates for NYE - and I already have this in writing from them! Perhaps slightly more than you would pay for any other Saturday in December, but certainly within range for us.
We had a £20k quote for venue hire alone on a Thursday wedding from one venue. I put their brochure in the recycling 😂
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by becky2203 View Post
We've had this discussion before and always said we find Xmas Eve/NYE weddings annoying (having turned down invites to them in the past). As another poster said, if you can't stay in accommodation near the venue (we have pets we couldn't just stay the night away from) then taxis are impossible, or someone needs to drive.

NYE is a great night anyway, even for someone like me who never goes out for it. Why not make another date your special anniversary?
JMHO
Thanks for your reply Becky. It's interesting to hear that point of view. I guess if you couldn't stay away from your pets then any wedding that is not in driving distance would be out of the question, regardless of whether it was NYE?

We have no plans to get married near our home town to be quite honest. The options around us are very very limited, especially with our numbers, so unless guests wanted to drive they would more than likely have to stay over. Because of this we are still considering alternative dates to NYE as I know finding pet/childcare may be tricky.

We had a £20k quote for venue hire alone on a Thursday wedding from one venue. I put their brochure in the recycling 😂
Jesus! Was it Buckingham Palace?
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Jesus! Was it Buckingham Palace?
You’d have thought wouldn’t you! We still went mental and have ended up with a venue that’s costing £15k, but at least that includes catering and a hell of a lot more than the other one did. Marrying a wedding coordinator was never going to be a low key affair!
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We got married on NYE 2015, which was a Thursday. We had a brilliant time, and our guests did too with the vast majority staying until the music stopped at 1am. We had a photo booth and pick n mix table to keep people entertained, as well as lots of music, drinks and food.

We didn’t have anyone who couldn’t get the time off, except my husband’s uncle who was on the night shift as the Duty Inspector, but he slipped out after the meal and he popped in later whilst he was out on patrol.

We had a fantastic day, and I wouldn’t change a thing (except the photographer but that’s a whole other story!)
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

You’d have thought wouldn’t you! We still went mental and have ended up with a venue that’s costing £15k, but at least that includes catering and a hell of a lot more than the other one did. Marrying a wedding coordinator was never going to be a low key affair!
Getting catering included is a huge bonus! When are you getting married? Is the planning going well?

Ha ha I am laughing at your comment about marrying a wedding coordinator. At least you know you will have the best of the best for your special day!

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
We got married on NYE 2015, which was a Thursday. We had a brilliant time, and our guests did too with the vast majority staying until the music stopped at 1am. We had a photo booth and pick n mix table to keep people entertained, as well as lots of music, drinks and food.

We didn’t have anyone who couldn’t get the time off, except my husband’s uncle who was on the night shift as the Duty Inspector, but he slipped out after the meal and he popped in later whilst he was out on patrol.

We had a fantastic day, and I wouldn’t change a thing (except the photographer but that’s a whole other story!)
Thanks for replying skalexander, it's really good to hear from someone who has actually done it! If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the prices for everything? Entertainment etc... Over the top?
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Thanks for replying skalexander, it's really good to hear from someone who has actually done it! If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the prices for everything? Entertainment etc... Over the top?
It was the same price as a Saturday for the hotel package, which included the DJ as well as the usual stuff. Everything else was the usual price - cars, photo booth, church, photographer, hair/make up, suits etc. We couldn’t have our first choice cake maker, as she closes over Christmas and New Year, but our second choice was amazing.

We planned everything a long time in advance to give people time to prepare financially, book time off and keep the date free. We put save the dates in with our Christmas cards the year before, but close family and friends knew the date probably 6 to 9 months before that.