Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Thanks to all who offered advice.

I’m wary 😒 of this man now , yes wary at what he may do next . So thanks to the People who understand that.
I have no problem with people not agreeing with me ,
Maybe some though deliberately disagree..

Edited at 10:41 AM.
scottishmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If this land where he has put the glass in not your private property then putting up surveillance cameras is not something you should do. It could actually harm the local authorities ability to do anything about it.

If it is shared / public land then either just report it to the local authority now, or take some pictures and put all of the glass in the bin. Then if it gets put back you should definitely report it to the authorities.

Do not get involved with your neighbour, it is not worth it, just work with your local authority for them to resolve it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

I think you are right to be wary, his behaviour does seem a little odd.

I would approach the situation by bringing up in conversation when you see him/her asking if they had noticed anything odd (eg glass and rat trap)

You could say you’re thinking of putting camera up to catch culprit. If you put onus someone being up to no good rather than hinting it was him it may make him think twice and stop.

I would keep my distance from them where possible and just say hi when passing. Hope this resolves for you I would definitely be feeling a little uneasy. Xx
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I think that placing a "T rex" trap in a public place (regardless of who owns the land) is in breach of the law, however as it was not set that makes it tricky
gov.uk/pest-control-on-your-property

We have sold and moved once because of issues with neighbours and one of the problems we found was that we became paranoid. Our issue was normally down to noise music so loud that the drinks would vibrate on the mantle piece and even by shutting all the doors in the house we woudl still need to have the TV at full volume on the other side. When they went on holiday we would often think that we could hear the music starting, we also thought we heard noise when they were out. I think that it is easy to get like that and it is really not a nice way to live.

I do think that you need to try look at the issues from the outside, it is incredibly difficult to do and I would start with a piece of paper and write down what is annoying you and then read it back and see if you think it still annoys you and if it is intentional. Then grade what you can live with and what you cant and see how small or large the list is, I am sure that there will be things on the list you have not put up on here and also list what you have done that may annoy them, even if you think it acceptable. Just out of interest is you dog noisy could this be bothering him ? I know there is little that you can do about it but my Mum had two neighbours at different properties both had dogs both barked one neighbour she got on with really well and never mentioned it, the other she didn't like and the dog was always a problem

When you have this picture you can then decide on a course of action which would be from nothing at all, to speaking to them, to calling an authority of moving house.

As I said we moved house and I am so glad that we did at the time it wound me up more that we felt that this was the only action to remove a problem that was caused by someone else's selfishness yet in the above process we worked out that we wanted silence from outside noise whilst in our own property but all the time we shared a wall with another we could never expect to get this. We decided that the only way to become happier and less stressed was to move this was something we had control over and we did. In short I would not live in a place where I was continually being made unhappy and worrying if there was something that I could do to change that.

Now we have no neighbours

Edited at 10:47 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would not enter into conversation with him at all, as I mentioned, a camera in your window (on your garden and the patch where you park your car) will reveal all.
Odd behaviour 😳
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

No don't speak to him, apart from anything else it's not always the obvious ones who are the problem. I like the camera idea, but then I'm a nosy mare.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Regardless of what any poster thinks or advises either way, there are clearly issues that are worrying you and making you uncomfortable in your own home. Many suggestions have been made about raising the issue both formally and informally. Before you do anything else you need to remember that if you decide to sell your property you may be asked about any issues or disagreements with your neighbours. As you have posted in a public forum you would have no choice but to answer yes even though your neighbour may not be aware of a potential dispute at this stage. Once you’ve answered yes I expect you I’ll be asked for full details of this issue. Therefore before you take any further action remember that it could all end up to your detriment in the future.
Also, if you decided to proceed formally and send legal letters then it can (and regularly does) become a slippery, expensive slope (although I think most solicitors would be reluctant to send a letter on the basis of the incidents listed, particularly without evidence)
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Next time that the rat trap goes out sling it in one of the bins.
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I agree with you .
Putting down broken glass and a rat trap is not a “deterrent” the clue is in the name “trap” and like you said , cats /dogs won’t see broken glass so will easily injure themselves.
All these excuses that “maybe he is this, or that” maybe he is just not a nice person, like op
says ?
Not everyone has to have some underlying mental health issue, some are just people who dislike animals intensely, I have sadly seen this many a time when I volunteered with a rescue .
Get some video evidence if you can and if he does it again contact the council and collect the glass/ trap as safely as you can .
Good luck .
I don't see people making excuses just offering suggestions.

Likewise we don't know for fact that this man is doing what is claimed. It may be someone entirely different and he's as baffled as the OP to the rat trap.

A clear look at each and every issue (recent as t's not healthy to dig up the past) and see what can be done to identify who it was.

If that's a camera to protect your property, or speaking to all the neighbours for their thoughts it's a calm and considered approach without pointing a finger of blame.

He might be a completely weirdo but there's no actual evidence of that just now.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
I’m not upset in the slightest I’m just probably justifying what I feel that people are being negative to me when I clearly “know “ this man .
Baffles me that people ask for advice and/or thoughts on a discussion forum then accuse folk of being negative to them purely because they don’t back the OP.

There’s no doubt you “clearly know this man” better than virtually anyone on here but, of all the really bad things e.g. the glass and the trap and not the fence shaking you’re accusing him of, can you actually prove were done by him?
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List