Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jan 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Chedrania Girl
New Poster (4)

A little advice re: off site vs on site

Hi there!
We're (fingers crossed) going Sept 2022 and I'm already planning because I'm obsessional haha.

We're a group of four-five adult friends who are planning on mainly staying in the Disney Bubble (I need that dining plan in my belly) but we want a couple of days to experience a bit of Orlando and do Universal as well.

I'm considering flying in and going straight off site, doing 2/3 nights somewhere towards Universal, where we can do 2 days there and squeeze in a horror night, and also do some shops and off site restaurants?

And then spend the next ten or so nights in a Disney resort so we can get those extra magic hours and so I can stuff my face with all the food lol

Does this sound like a sensible idea? Is it something other people have done? I was considering 2 weeks, one week on and one week off site, but I don't really want to squeeze Disney into seven days, and I'm not sure there's enough we want to do non-Disney to really justify it. Any thoughts would be super welcome, thank you!
Chedrania Girl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chedrania Girl View Post
Hi there!
We're (fingers crossed) going Sept 2022 and I'm already planning because I'm obsessional haha.

We're a group of four-five adult friends who are planning on mainly staying in the Disney Bubble (I need that dining plan in my belly) but we want a couple of days to experience a bit of Orlando and do Universal as well.

I'm considering flying in and going straight off site, doing 2/3 nights somewhere towards Universal, where we can do 2 days there and squeeze in a horror night, and also do some shops and off site restaurants?

And then spend the next ten or so nights in a Disney resort so we can get those extra magic hours and so I can stuff my face with all the food lol

Does this sound like a sensible idea? Is it something other people have done? I was considering 2 weeks, one week on and one week off site, but I don't really want to squeeze Disney into seven days, and I'm not sure there's enough we want to do non-Disney to really justify it. Any thoughts would be super welcome, thank you!
At the moment there is no Disney Dining Plan and no mention by them if/when it is going to be introduced. Perhaps in the future it may be possible to add the DDP to a booking if it is re-introduced.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Personally, as an all adult group, I would rather have more days near Universal than I would Disney. A week at Disney would be fine for us, even with teens, it's more than enough. There is plenty to do offsite for a group of adults, Universal, Old Town Kissimmee, Star Flyer, Horror Nights, City Walk is great in the evening, much more choice of good food offsite. You also have Sea World offsite, which if you like coasters, is much better for adrenalin junkies! Just from a personal opinion of course after 4 trips, and doing on/offsite split stays every time.

I also think it depends if any of you have been before? If no, then a balance of both would be my preference. I also wouldn't base my planning around having a dining plan at Disney as currently no one knows if that is going to be offered. 3 Universal onsite hotels offer extra hours, unlimited fast passes and the quality of accommodation is outstanding.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024

Edited at 12:51 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Chedrania Girl
New Poster (4)

Thanks for the fast replies guys!

Most of us have been before, but I haven't been since I was WAY younger so I'm REALLY looking forward to spending a lot of time there - so much has changed since the last time I was there (heck, it was still MGM Studios haha). One of our party doesn't care about Universal at all (she's not into thrill rides) even though I'm desperate to go there as well because, again, last time there was no Harry Potter stuff! (I am old lol) Not interested in Sea World, but I'm into big coasters so I'll be first in line for Universal. That's why I'm honestly thinking 2-3 days in that park alone - especially to get in a horror night. And I need to try out Margaritaville and basically a whole bunch of places around the City Walk! I've wanted to stay at Cabana Bay forever because I'm a retro nut.

I'm working on the assumption that by the end of 2022 things will have returned a little to normal and dining plans will be reinstated. We're not booking anything until much later this year, or early next even (if the free dining/$200 type gifts don't exist, no reason to book so early).

If not, I think we'll stay off site somewhere really cheap just to make up for the extortionate amount of money we'll be spending on food haha. But going on the assumption that things may be a little more normal, the dining plan is definitely a priority. I won't be attending Disney World at all even in 2022 if things aren't at least semi back to normal, but I'm definitely happy to start planning and praying!

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Chedrania Girl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
deano1212
slightly serious Dibber

deano1212's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I cant help but notice your not interested in sea world but like big coasters? They have 3 of the best and 1 of these, mako, is the tallest in Florida, I wouldn’t miss it if you like coasters...
deano1212 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

If you're into big coasters, then Sea World (& Busch Gardens) are both a must. Mako is easily the best coaster in Florida - totally re-rideable (yes, I've notched up over 50 rides in a day... mad I know) it's just pure fun and floaty air-time.

Busch Gardens is obviously a must and also benefits from generally being quieter than the Orlando parks. We polished off all the coasters, multiple times at Busch Gardens in about 3hrs last November (midweek) - we were on our way back to Orlando by 2:30pm... in time for a quick spin or two on Mako.

We never stay on-site - Sheraton Vistana Village on I-Drive every time for us. Location is good - close to Premium Outlets and SeaWorld, and about halfway between Disney & Universal. If you get a 2 bedroom villa there (sleeps 8) it could be OK for your party. Bed layout is master bedroom (double), bedroom 2 (2 doubles) & double sofa-bed in the lounge, so depending on the exact make-up / desired sleeping arrangements of your party it may work (2 bathrooms too). You also have a full kitchen, so can self-cater for breakfast at least - the saving doing this soon adds up.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think 2-3 nights near or at Universal the the rest at Disney sounds ideal. We’ve done that in the past and plan to do it this year all being well. I prefer doing it that way to travelling along the I-4 every time we want to go to Universal.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I think 3 nights (=4 days) around Universal plus 10 nights at Disney is a good idea. It gives you the best of both worlds. The only 'issue' will be having to pack and move after your near-Universal stay and moving to Disney.

In the past we have spent two days at a Universal hotel and then 12 days at Disney - but during the Disney days we travelled to Seaworld and had a look around International Drive for a couple of those days. And last year we had planned to stay 9 nights at Disney and 8 nights offsite at a International Drive hotel until the pandemic scuppered those plans.

However...

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
At the moment there is no Disney Dining Plan and no mention by them if/when it is going to be introduced.
Extra Magic Hours are also suspended at this time. As are several other onsite benefits. So staying onsite is not as good as it once was, at the moment. And for the price I'm not sure it's worth it (YMMV).

But maybe those benefits will be back by Sept 2022?

Originally Posted by Chedrania Girl View Post
Not interested in Sea World, but I'm into big coasters so I'll be first in line for Universal.
Seaworld has almost as many big coasters as Universal. And more in one park than any of the individual Universal parks.

The two Universal parks have 4 big coasters (I'm including Mummy in that list) between them - 2 coasters in each. Soon to be 5 coasters in total once the Velocicoaster opens.

Seaworld has 3 big coasters, soon to be 4 once Icebreaker opens.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:21 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have visited Orlando 9 times and now invariably stay in a Villa, having stayed on site and also off site on I drive and LBV, using rooms, suites, condo and villas.

IMHO... and with the fact that you are 5 adults in mind.

My no1 ticket would be a Discvery Cove ultimate ticket.. The biggest and most Coasters are in Seaworld (3 plus a brilliant new water ride) and Busch (7 by the time you get there). Both are very much moving away from their traditional offerings in the face of changing attitudes and morphing into traditional theme parks. In addition, Discovery Cove is always by far our best day in Orlando (without even doing the Dolphin Swim). It is interesting, restful and all food and drinks included (wine also). It also comes with free parking throughout their parks and Aquatica is also an excellent water park. You should be looking at £165 pp for all that... a day in D.C. plus 14 days of all the rest.

Universal/Islands is good, I guess you know what is there, but it can get very crowded. I would look at just 2 days there and expect to pay towards £300 pp. Not imho, such great value. On top of that, many would look to a night in one of the 3 premium hotels to get express passing throughout and cut the queues. A room would in probability cost £300 very much plus and you would need two.

I cannot get remotely excited about Disney as it simply leaves me cold, but you are. Disney is going to cost you £400pp or thereabouts just for the tickets. As for resorts, there is currently no dining plan and you can argue all day whether on site is good value even with DDP.

What would I do? (And I am not you). I would book a lovely big Villa with pool in the Davenport area and close to a cluster of Restaurants including Golden Coral, Bahama Breeze, Longhorn Steakhouse, Yardhouse and similar. Space and privacy matter. The thought of a Disney resort is too ‘full on’ and cramped for me, with everything costing an arm and a leg.

I would book a 5 seater good size car and hope that there s a non drinker.

I would buy a Disney 14 day and a Discovery Cove Ultimate. If you are really rich, a Universal also, but not without a single night in a delux hotel.

My plan would be arrive Orlando Int, Uber or taxi to a cheapie hotel on I Drive before spending an evening on I Drive.

Next morning, a taxi very early (0700) and straight to the Universal Hotel (o if you are flush and doing it), then spending 2 days in Universal.

At end of day 2 collect a hire car from Holiday Inn Universal or similar and move to a great Villa.

Spend rest of vacation living in space and luxury whilst dipping in and out of the parks as you please... Disney and Discovery Cove franchise.

As I said, that is me... not you.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:34 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

A few days in universal then moving on to Disney sounds fantastic. It’s difficult to tell but you would hope that dining plans and extra hours will have been reinstated by the back end of 2022.

We went as a group of 4 adults in 2016 and like you we weren’t interested in Sea World. I’d never been before and it had been a long time for the others, and we found that there was SO much to do at universal and Disney that there’s no way we could have fitted much else in! Better to take the time to do the things you really want to then squeezing too much in.. especially after a relaxation day or two! Happy planning x

Edit: just seen that EMH might not be coming back at all now!

Edited at 07:12 PM.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List