Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 21, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Sorry to hear your news, it's never easy.

Our junior school has 2 clothing banks, maybe worth looking to see if there's somewhere like that too?
Mrs Red C is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Susanjane View Post
You wouldn't say that if you saw how I'm coping most days, but thought I had to start doing something.
Keep yourself busy as you are doing. Its never easy but it does get easier to handle I promise you. Your late husband would be proud of what you are doing & how your coping.
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Firstly, so sorry for your loss.

At the start of winter, our local council asked for both adult and children's coats to be donated. Isabel had a LOT of coats (think the Imelda Marcos of the coat world - and the problem with her working for TK Maxx - and with discount!)

I have to say, it was hard taking them all, but we knew that it would 100% have been what Izzy wanted. I'll also admit to crying when they put an advert for the pop up shop on social media, and I could see some of her coats in the background. But it was absolutely the right thing to do.
Perhaps donating them for something like this, or homeless shelters will have more meaning for you?

However, had it not been for this specific appeal, we wouldn't have moved them. Even though it was May when we lost her, the rest of her clothes are still there - and like you, it's knowing what to do with them. Some of them are expensive named clothes, some are brand new, unworn and some aren't! I keep thinking, after COVID, I'll make a decision.

The only thing I have done, and I'm not sure if it's something you've done yourself, or would consider, but I chose her favourite clothes; the ones which held special memories for us, and had them turned into a quilt. (My friend had done similar with a shirt of her dad's, only hers was a cushion.) If it might be something you would like to do, I am happy to pass on the details of the company I used.

Here is the quilt. They will make anything, any size, any colour trims etc. I get a lot of comfort from sitting on the sofa with it around me.

Sending you hugs, whatever you choose to do with them.
Old 18 Jan 21, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post

At the start of winter, our local council asked for both adult and children's coats to be donated. Isabel had a LOT of coats (think the Imelda Marcos of the coat world - and the problem with her working for TK Maxx - and with discount!)

I have to say, it was hard taking them all, but we knew that it would 100% have been what Izzy wanted. I'll also admit to crying when they put an advert for the pop up shop on social media, and I could see some of her coats in the background. But it was absolutely the right thing to do.
Perhaps donating them for something like this, or homeless shelters will have more meaning for you?

However, had it not been for this specific appeal, we wouldn't have moved them. Even though it was May when we lost her, the rest of her clothes are still there - and like you, it's knowing what to do with them. Some of them are expensive named clothes, some are brand new, unworn and some aren't! I keep thinking, after COVID, I'll make a decision.

The only thing I have done, and I'm not sure if it's something you've done yourself, or would consider, but I chose her favourite clothes; the ones which held special memories for us, and had them turned into a quilt. (My friend had done similar with a shirt of her dad's, only hers was a cushion.) If it might be something you would like to do, I am happy to pass on the details of the company I used.

Here is the quilt. They will make anything, any size, any colour trims etc. I get a lot of comfort from sitting on the sofa with it around me.

That’s gorgeous Amanda ❤️
We had a cushion with my dads shirt a few years ago but hadn’t thought about doing it recently with my husbands. I’ll pick my moment and see what the kids want.
You are right about knowing what to do with them. I worry that if I donate them locally I will see some wearing something and that terrifies me. Also, every time I start to sort you get something that provokes a memory of when it was worn which stops me from continuing. I guess we will get there one way or another at some point
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
My local fire station has a clothing bin outside , maybe others have similar ?
I had the awful job of sorting Mum’s clothes out in November and had to do it straight away as her sheltered accommodation needed to be handed back. Omg, the amount of (same) clothes that woman had!

Anyway, me, DH, DD and DS all pulled together and bagged the lot up, with sadness and the odd giggle at some of the stuff! There were so many bag-fulls we then struggled to get them to the charity shops due to lockdown (in Wales) and House Clearance companies didn’t want them! We then had to return to England and had to leave the rest of the job to my brother who struggled for a while as he doesn’t drive! Days later someone said to him ... why don’t you just put them in the Fire Station? ... which was literally opposite Mums bungalow!

We couldn’t help but laugh at our incompetence but this is exactly what mum would have wanted, I’m sure!

I’m sure in your case it’s an even more difficult task and I hope you can find the right place for them 💜
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Susanjane
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Keep yourself busy as you are doing. Its never easy but it does get easier to handle I promise you. Your late husband would be proud of what you are doing & how your coping.

Thank you, it just feels that it's getting harder to cope at the moment and I'm really struggling. I'm not sure he would be.
Orlando 1997, Necker Island 1997, Orlando 2002 & 2004, Fort Lauderdale 2006, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando 2007, Orlando 2009, California and San Francisco 2012, Orlando 2013, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale 2015, New York 2016, Orlando 2016, Orlando 2017, Orlando and New York 2018, Orlando 2018 (again), Orlando 2019 x 2
Susanjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Susanjane
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post

Thank you for your message. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is for you.

That's a lovely thing to do with her coats, maybe I need to look into seeing if there's anything like that around here.

It's a really lovely quilt, and there are a lot of his clothes that I just put back in the cupboard as I wasn't ready to decide on them yet, so that may be an idea.

Thank you.
Orlando 1997, Necker Island 1997, Orlando 2002 & 2004, Fort Lauderdale 2006, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando 2007, Orlando 2009, California and San Francisco 2012, Orlando 2013, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale 2015, New York 2016, Orlando 2016, Orlando 2017, Orlando and New York 2018, Orlando 2018 (again), Orlando 2019 x 2
Susanjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Susanjane
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
That’s gorgeous Amanda ❤️
We had a cushion with my dads shirt a few years ago but hadn’t thought about doing it recently with my husbands. I’ll pick my moment and see what the kids want.
You are right about knowing what to do with them. I worry that if I donate them locally I will see some wearing something and that terrifies me. Also, every time I start to sort you get something that provokes a memory of when it was worn which stops me from continuing. I guess we will get there one way or another at some point

I'm sorry for your loss.

I hadn't thought of seeing someone wearing something I would recognise as his. I think that was why I started mainly with trousers as most of them were work ones which didn't have the same sort of memories, but jeans and shorts which I then remember us buying last time we were in Florida ended up back in the cupboard. There's also a lot of t-shirts that I just couldn't do anything with (they seem to have the most memories) so they're just sitting there as well. I think it was a distraction from all the paperwork I should be sorting and can't.
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm sorry for your loss.

I hadn't thought of seeing someone wearing something I would recognise as his. I think that was why I started mainly with trousers as most of them were work ones which didn't have the same sort of memories, but jeans and shorts which I then remember us buying last time we were in Florida ended up back in the cupboard. There's also a lot of t-shirts that I just couldn't do anything with (they seem to have the most memories) so they're just sitting there as well. I think it was a distraction from all the paperwork I should be sorting and can't.
Thank you ❤️
The paperwork can be overwhelming can’t it? I have days when I get stuck in but then can’t face it again for weeks.
I am about 6 months ahead of you so I may be able to help if you have any questions x
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Hello

My husband died in November and I decided yesterday I really needed to start sorting his many, many clothes. So far I have five full bin bags just of trousers and t shirts and still a wardrobe full of shirts and lots of shoes to go. I'm presuming until charity shops open again there isn't anywhere that will take these clothes?

I also have two bin bags of clothes that aren't good enough to donate to a charity shop but don't know if there's anywhere they can go rather than just throwing them away?

Thanks
My sympathies to you in what is a very trying time. My brother and I had to do similar last summer after our mother passed away suddenly. Whilst discussing funeral arrangements with her local priest we discovered her church ran a charity collection for people in Africa and the priest suggested we donate all clothing to their scheme. Just a suggestion, your local churches may run similar schemes. Best wishes to you.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List