Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Jan 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
"The Disney World station is planned for the Disney Springs complex, the company said.

Brightline's extension to the Orlando International Airport is set to open in 2022, but the company did not provide a timeline for the Disney station."
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Have they provided paid shared coach transportation to the Disney hotels in the past? Are you sure?

Why, when they provide free transportation to the Disney hotels? (Mears is contracted to run the Magical Express buses on Disney's behalf)

Why would anyone choose to pay to get a shared coach transfer to their Disney hotel when there exists a frequent dedicated service that does the same thing for free?
Yes , originally Mears transportation was the “approved “ and Disney recommended way to get to WDW before they introduced DME . The free bus hasn’t always existed.
Even after it did Mears still ran their own branded service too.
I don’t understand why anyone used it once DME existed , but they did ! Possibly because as detailed above some holiday companies sold it as an extra to all hotels on and off site so it added to profits for the holiday companies even though not telling customers they could use DME for free was and is decidedly shady business practice.

I’m looking forward to Brightline in 22 as we will get the train from MCO straight down to Vero (or nearby) and pick a car up there.

Edited at 07:45 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Is the train even going to be a realistic alternative?

Train to Disney Springs with all of your luggage, haul it over to the bus stops to take a bus to the resort.

But
- currently (officially) luggage isnt allowed on the Disney internal buses although I know a couple of people that havent been stopped.

The bus stops would be really busy wouldnt they? Lots of folks dragging luggage through Disney Springs, is that realistic?

The only way I could see it working is if there is either a luggage service or the train station at Springs is a transportation hub with buses to the resorts.

Given the choice I think I will just get a private transfer or Uber direct from MCO. A lot less hassle.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think there will be a luggage service from DS as it makes no sense to clutter up the buses with cases and put off shoppers and diners between the resorts and DS .
We already use Uber in preference to DME from MCO anyway though.

Originally Posted by adamtoonarmy View Post

Train to Disney Springs with all of your luggage, haul it over to the bus stops to take a bus to the resort.

But
- currently (officially) luggage isnt allowed on the Disney internal buses although I know a couple of people that havent been stopped.

The bus stops would be really busy wouldnt they? Lots of folks dragging luggage through Disney Springs, is that realistic?

The only way I could see it working is if there is either a luggage service or the train station at Springs is a transportation hub with buses to the resorts.

Given the choice I think I will just get a private transfer or Uber direct from MCO. A lot less hassle.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We already use Uber in preference to DME from MCO anyway though.
Guessing it works well for you then? Have you been hit for $$$ during surge pricing or has it been pretty reasonable?

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I can foresee a lot of on-site guests taking the hit and opting to pay for either an Uber / Lyft private transfer, or whatever reincarnation of DME Mears introduce.

The train journey is going to be a complete sod (to put it politely). The train station at MCO will be linked to Terminal C - the new one under construction. So it will be clear US CBP in Terminal B at present, then the AGT to the main terminal, then the new AGT ride to Terminal C, then the train, then Disney Transport from Disney Springs that may / may not accept luggage.

I can't see that appealing to many families, particularly if they have young children & car-seats / pushchairs in tow, in addition to their luggage. Also, by the time you finally get to Disney Springs, young children may not be in the best of moods due to minimal sleep the night before / early starts, plus the travel etc.

I suspect Mears, Uber & Lyft drivers will be rather happy with this announcement by Disney, as it gives them a good business opportunity from January next year.

That said, I do sympathise with the guests who will miss the inconvenience of DME. Staying on-site is not for me or my girlfriend, but I know many on here have had fantastic holidays without ever leaving Disney property.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2

But

I can see the train being a potential alternative for onsite guests to go somewhere away from Disney for a while - maybe a day trip to Tampa or West Palm Beach.

But it’s mainly going to be there to ferry Florida residents to/from Central Florida rather than driving or getting a plane.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

Even with Magical Express going I would still stay on site.

Access to any park you like 30 mins early (enough time to get at least 1 ride in - be it Slinky Dog, Flight of Passage etc...) Appreciate its not exactly the same as EMH but its also only 30 minutes less.

Disney still offering free transport to and from on-site hotels to the parks and Springs. Id rather pay $100 on an uber from the airport to an on-site hotel than have to pay for parking each night at an on site hotel, or pay every day to park at the parks instead, plus the cost of actually hiring a car.

I totally get the incentives are becoming less appealing, but for me, the draw of staying on site is definitely still there. Mainly for convenience.
AP1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Iexpect Mears the current DME providers will provide the same as now only as a paid service (without luggage collections), Disney will give them the same access to hotels as they do now.

There will be a financial impact but it won't be massive, otherwise the same without the Disney Livery, bet they will even have disney videos playing !
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Guessing it works well for you then? Have you been hit for $$$ during surge pricing or has it been pretty reasonable?
It’s always been ok for me to or from MCO with Uber (haven’t used Lyft). I’ve only ever paid about $50.

I never speak about the surge pricing we experienced at LAX going to Disneyland 😳

When the plane landed and we were allowed to turn on data, it was $65. After making our way to the terminal and waiting for our luggage... $120 😫