Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Jan 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
It’s always been ok for me to or from MCO with Uber (haven’t used Lyft). I’ve only ever paid about $50.

I never speak about the surge pricing we experienced at LAX going to Disneyland 😳

When the plane landed and we were allowed to turn on data, it was $65. After making our way to the terminal and waiting for our luggage... $120 😫
One thing we found for LAX, hop on a hotel shuttle and ordering an Uber/lyft from the hotels is waaaay cheaper than from the airport and they usually have wifi in the lobby too!
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rayraygreen View Post
One thing we found for LAX, hop on a hotel shuttle and ordering an Uber/lyft from the hotels is waaaay cheaper than from the airport and they usually have wifi in the lobby too!
Good advice as I’m sure we spent half of that stuck on the LAX ring road - but it was 10.30 at night and we had to get to Trader Sam’s before closing 😂
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
bdl1994
Earning More Ears

Listening to The Dis Unplugged podcast today, they have heard rumours that furloughed Minnie Van drivers are being recalled to work, so this could be what Disney intend to push as an alternative to MDE. although $150 each way plus tips is quite the up charge compared to a complimentary coach...
bdl1994 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bdl1994 View Post
although $150 each way plus tips is quite the up charge compared to a complimentary coach...
think I would rather walk along the 417...

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Listening to The Dis Unplugged podcast today, they have heard rumours that furloughed Minnie Van drivers are being recalled to work, so this could be what Disney intend to push as an alternative to MDE. although $150 each way plus tips is quite the up charge compared to a complimentary coach...
These mini vans were an utter rip off pricing, hence why the service was shut down.

We nearly always have a car (it was 2018 I last didn’t have a car and that was only for 5 days at Boardwalk, we picked one up for the rest of the trip at Disney Car Care Centre, and we already decided we would now always get the car full trip but we get free parking), but adding $300 on for ludicrous ‘Mini Vans’ is taking the Mickey.
Old 21 Jan 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
bdl1994
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
These mini vans were an utter rip off pricing, hence why the service was shut down.

We nearly always have a car (it was 2018 I last didn’t have a car and that was only for 5 days at Boardwalk, we picked one up for the rest of the trip at Disney Car Care Centre, and we already decided we would now always get the car full trip but we get free parking), but adding $300 on for ludicrous ‘Mini Vans’ is taking the Mickey.
I entirely agree! We’ve always stayed off site and so have hired a car. Our next trip was intended to be on-site and we would have used MDE. Now we will have to price up car hire + resort parking fees vs Uber/Lyft.
Old 21 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

$300 to pay for a mini van? Not a hope in hell from me. Offsite hire a car.
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Wow. That is expensive if true.

We once had a private town car from Sanford booked with one of the advertisers here on the DIBB and it was less than that - no more than $180 for a return trip. Admittedly that was about 6 years ago, but Sanford airport is a lot further away than MCO.

Surely if Uber/Lyft is significantly cheaper then that idea will die just at it did when used around WDW.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
bdl1994
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Wow. That is expensive if true.

We once had a private town car from Sanford booked with one of the advertisers here on the DIBB and it was less than that - no more than $180 for a return trip. Admittedly that was about 6 years ago, but Sanford airport is a lot further away than MCO.

Surely if Uber/Lyft is significantly cheaper then that idea will die just at it did when used around WDW.
It was $150 each way for a Minnie Van pre-Covid - whether they’ll adjust that in future remains to be seen, if the Minnie Vans do in fact return. I think the only real advantage over Uber/Lyft in terms of airport transportation is that Minnie Vans come with two car seats - for some families with young children, the convenience of not having to travel with car seats may outweigh the additional cost. How much of a niche that market is though, I don’t know.
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It was $150 each way for a Minnie Van pre-Covid
Ah, yes. I forgot they provided this before. But I never knew how much it cost. Blimey, it was expensive.

A quick google search tells me an UberXL or LyftXL from MCO to CBR (for example) costs no more than $50 at normal rates. So about $100 cheaper.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List