Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
One for older Genration (45+)

Even though questions is for 45+ anyonre can answer

When we where in schol never had a prom and perants where not fined for taken children out of school and no ofstred am i right in thinking this .

Edited at 08:38 PM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Yes right you are.

All of the above plus a hearty smack on the backside (I got one of those age 4/5 in what would now be reception class) and the cane for the really naughty(never got one of those!)

I'm 53.
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well I’m 46 and we had a prom at the end of the 5th year (year 12 in new money) but I think that was a first for our school and was probably influenced by the storyline in Grange Hill when Gonch organised one.

Sometimes used to go on holiday during term time and don’t remember parents having to pay a fine. In fact the first time I ever heard of Disney World was when the class rich kid went on a 6 week tour of the US that included Florida and this was mostly during term time. Way back in 1980..
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Kevin

I was 74 last week so I think I'm qualified to answer

No OFSTED or school prom - not even a leaving disco

Had my share of blackboard rubbers thrown at me, wooden rulers on the back of my knuckles and endless canings on hand and backside.

Did it make me an aggressive adult? I don't think so. Well maybe it helped with my career of over 50 years as a Quantity Surveyor where it maybe assisted in managing a few "confrontational" situations.

Mick

Edited at 10:34 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m in my 50’s and we never had a prom or leaving party. I remember walking out after my last exam and thinking how anti-climatic it all was. After years of drama, making friends, being bullied and lots of teenage angst I just walked out alone (as my friends didn’t have the same exam). I wasn’t sure if I was pleased or sad to leave.

Our eldest son is 33 and I think his year was one of the first in our area to have a ‘prom’ but even then it was a much smaller scale than they have now
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I am only 41 and didn’t have a prom and remember getting smacked on the hands with a ruler and having the board rubber thrown at me! Back then if you went home and complained to your parents you were also for it at home too!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I am 55

and from Scotland - so although we never had "prom" we did have end of school Ceilidh - any excuse for a dressed up dance party...

Parents were not fined for taking kids out of school because parents respected the schooling system and did not take children out for holidays - or anything other than emergencies. I cannot remember anyone taking a foreign holiday during the school term during my many years at school.

And OFSTED - no there was none. So class sizes were unregulated - one year we had 42 (chaos) and teachers did not need to have an education any better than their students. My dad taught me Maths.

Not sure if you were saying it was better or worse... just different I guess.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
I am only 41 and didn’t have a prom and remember getting smacked on the hands with a ruler and having the board rubber thrown at me! Back then if you went home and complained to your parents you were also for it at home too!

Same here, 41 this year, not actually getting smacked but definitely witnessed it.
We were told "we are not American" when someone asked about prom and instead made our own leavers party-- majority of schools hit the nightclubs on the friday and they got raided so spent time in the local cellar, we went out the Saturday and were fine haha. Wouldnt dream of letting my kids out at that age but we went out at 7 and were in by 11 all nice and sober.

We used to go away the 2nd or 3rd week in September as this was when my dad could get time off and could afford to go, school never had a problem as we were never off any other time and hardly ill.

We left school in yr11 and did half day on our last day. Then went off on study leave before returning for exams.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

No Ofsted - but there were Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools (as there are now). Schools were inspected, but not routinely, and reports were only shared with the school and local authority.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I’m 34 and we didn’t have proms, no fines (although my parents were teachers so couldn’t go in term time anyway), but there was ofsted.

From the other thread on prom dresses I’m shocked at how many parents pay hundreds for a dress, some costing more than my wedding dress. 😳 If this is still a thing when my daughter goes she can have a budget of £50. However I get it’s the parents choice to spend that much, just not for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List