Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 25 Dec 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

OMG Christmas Lunch Disaster!

Can't believe we have done this but just needed to vent!

DH picked up 2 turkey crowns and a gammon from butchers on Wednesday. All very well wrapped! Large turkey went to DS next door to feed them and 5 kids as they both are self isolating as they have Covid.

Gammon went in slow cooker yesterday morning cooked in Coke. I did think it strange that they had wrapped gammon in streaky bacon but as a died in the wool Southerner I just put it down to the strange practices they have up North.

DH is in charge of roast dinner so he went to get the turkey out of the fridge only to discover when he unwrapped it that it was A GAMMON! So we have slow cooked the turkey crown in cola! Anyone done this before. How did it taste? Well I suppose we'll find out soon enough Youngest DS and fiancee coming at 2 so we still just about have time to put the real gammon in the slow cooker

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Oops. So long as the turkey is cooked I'm sure it will taste fine. Why not carve a bit off and taste it. It's a bit of a different twist anyway, a good Christmas memory 😁
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Oops. So long as the turkey is cooked I'm sure it will taste fine. Why not carve a bit off and taste it. It's a bit of a different twist anyway, a good Christmas memory 😁
I have tasted a little bit. Seems OK but we will have to serve it cold. The gammon will be hot though. I refuse to let it get me down. After the year we have had and in particular the last couple of weeks I am determined to make the very best of our little Christmas and focus on the positives

marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Sometimes these innocent mistakes find new things that really work.

Do let us know if this is one occasion.

Either way, these things happen and you have a plan b. Don't let it spoil the day with family.

Have a great Christmas day, and chill.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
I have tasted a little bit. Seems OK but we will have to serve it cold. The gammon will be hot though. I refuse to let it get me down. After the year we have had and in particular the last couple of weeks I am determined to make the very best of our little Christmas and focus on the positives
Well done on positive attitude, it's always good to make interesting memories, maybe you have created a whole new method of cooking turkey.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
I've always wondered who first decided to try cooking Gammon in cola...maybe it's just that no-one has tried it before with turkey? It might be an amazing improvement on regular, dry turkey

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018

Edited at 09:17 AM.
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

If it tastes good, we might all be having it next year! 🤣
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

This about sums up the year doesn’t it! Let’s hope it all tastes delicious and starts a new and unusual Christmas tradition for you all. I do so hope the rest of your day is wonderful xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Custancia View Post
I've always wondered who first decided to try cooking Gammon in cola...maybe it's just that no-one has tried it before with turkey? It might be an amazing improvement on regular, dry turkey
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
If it tastes good, we might all be having it next year! 🤣
I'll be sure to post an update if I live to tell the tale

Old 25 Dec 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Our ds moved north from the south and we have encountered a few odd menus which as southerners we find very odd. However have found their local baker does an excellent Christmas tiffin with pistachio, cranberries and salted caramel.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List