Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 29 Dec 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Taz
VIP Dibber

Bahama Bay

Hi,

We're thinking of booking Bahama Bay for 2022 and just wondering what the drive to Disney is like traffic wise? We usually stay at Compass Bay which is between markers 10&11 on the 192 so just want to compare.

Many thanks

Louise
Old 29 Dec 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If you use the villa location map and select Bahama Bay then the yellow dot on it on the Bay you can get driving times and directions to all the major attractions
There is a Dibb owned property there hope that helps
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not a lot of help I'm afraid as although we've stayed at BB about 6 times not since around 2008. Also we haven't been to a Disney Park since 2010. Never stayed at Compass Bay.

However we have stayed at a villa on Highgate Park (about a mile west of BB) 13 times since 2011 and we drive from there to Disney Springs a couple of times every holiday.

Assuming MK as your destination Google Maps says 10 miles from Compass Bay - I assume you used the Osceola Parkway to get to WDW and avoid 192?

If you turn left out of BB and go via Funie Steed Road you'll get to the Sherberth Road "short cut" and completely avoid the 192. Google maps says 12 miles from BB to MK.

Mileage wise nothing in it but according to Dibbers who live near there the Funie Steed route now that it goes all the way to Entry Point Bvd is much busier with locals. BB may be 5 minutes longer I guess simply because of new local traffic.

Mick
Old 29 Dec 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Taz
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the reply Mick, that's really helpful.

Louise
Old 29 Dec 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs_Taz View Post
Thanks for the reply Mick, that's really helpful.

Louise
Louise

It's a genuine pleasure to start answering questions about accommodation, driving, shopping and dining etc. after such a dire year.

Our first Florida holiday in 1990 was in Fantasy World which (after Googling ) is next door to Compass Bay.

There's a vast choice of restaurants on the 192 in the Rolling Oaks area not far from BB if you want any more information. As Helen says there's also a DIBB owner at BB who has been very helpful with people asking for local information.

Mick
Old 29 Dec 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Not a lot of help I'm afraid as although we've stayed at BB about 6 times not since around 2008. Also we haven't been to a Disney Park since 2010. Never stayed at Compass Bay.

However we have stayed at a villa on Highgate Park (about a mile west of BB) 13 times since 2011 and we drive from there to Disney Springs a couple of times every holiday.

Assuming MK as your destination Google Maps says 10 miles from Compass Bay - I assume you used the Osceola Parkway to get to WDW and avoid 192?

If you turn left out of BB and go via Funie Steed Road you'll get to the Sherberth Road "short cut" and completely avoid the 192. Google maps says 12 miles from BB to MK.

Mileage wise nothing in it but according to Dibbers who live near there the Funie Steed route now that it goes all the way to Entry Point Bvd is much busier with locals. BB may be 5 minutes longer I guess simply because of new local traffic.

Mick
Great info as usual mick, I would add the 4 way junction (school) close to Bahama Bay gets busy first thing and late afternoon, but beyond that it’s a straight run to Funie Steed/Sherbeth/192
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

You could drive north on the 27 and head onto the 192...not far down the 192 you will be able to access the 429 toll road north. Take the first junction off and that will take you onto Disney property.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Great info as usual mick, I would add the 4 way junction (school) close to Bahama Bay gets busy first thing and late afternoon, but beyond that it’s a straight run to Funie Steed/Sherbeth/192
SF

And made worse by all the new housing that's sprung up down Westside Boulevard southwards.

The junction at Westside/Funie Steed was also pretty tricky but they made it a 4-way sometime in 2019. We used it in Nov 2019 but saw it abused a lot and according to DonnaD there had been a few crashes. Donna told me a few weeks ago that they'd now put a light on it. But as with the vast majority of lights you can turn right on red. So from WB right into FSR will still be easy but the reverse journey will be much safer with the light

Mick
Old 29 Dec 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
SF

And made worse by all the new housing that's sprung up down Westside Boulevard southwards.

The junction at Westside/Funie Steed was also pretty tricky but they made it a 4-way sometime in 2019. We used it in Nov 2019 but saw it abused a lot and according to DonnaD there had been a few crashes. Donna told me a few weeks ago that they'd now put a light on it. But as with the vast majority of lights you can turn right on red. So from WB right into FSR will still be easy but the reverse journey will be much safer with the light

Mick
It makes it a lot easier for access from Hwy 27, I remember the road (Funie Steed) ended at Lindfields for many years...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
It makes it a lot easier for access from Hwy 27, I remember the road (Funie Steed) ended at Lindfields for many years...
This is what FSR looked like at the junction of Formosa Gardens Boulevard for years.

If you fancied wrecking the hire car's suspension you could drive on past the Westgate development through 90% potholes towards Entry Point Bvd. In Nov 2019 they were doing serious roadworks at the end of FSR where it met EPB so we couldn't use it all the way. DonnaD told me that those roadworks were completed early 2020 but obviously all the locals now use it to get across to North Old Lake Wilson and the "new" Walmart.

Mick