Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Ginners
Proud to wear my Ears

RESOLVED 'Not happy with Virgin! Not allowed a refund apparently?!'

So I'm just wondering whether anyone has had this issue...

Booked with Virgin Atlantic flight only for May this year, obviously that wasn't happening so we moved our flights to September for free.These were then cancelled and my ticket was automatically changed to 'open'. Fast forward to last week and I put my request in for a refund via Whatsapp and got a reply today saying because my flight was rescheduled and then changed back to an open ticket when it was cancelled, I'm not allowed a refund?!?!

Absolute joke!
First Villa Trip- Oct 2023

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Ginners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Kasalic
Excited about Disney

That is interesting, not sure how they would get away with that if you pursue it. They have cancelled the flight in September, but I assume not the flight in May?

We are in a similar situation, as we rebooked our June flights to September and are now waiting to hear what we can do.
June 2015 - 14 days - Silver Creek, Clermont
Sept 2016 - 14 days - Gulf Coast
January 2019 - 16 days - Kissimmee
August 2019 - 7 days - I Drive
Kasalic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s the trap many of us were warning about on here.
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy9137
Very Serious Dibber

I have taken an open ticket but happy to stick with Virgin and will go with them again next year. If we all pull the plug on them they will go under and we will have no direct flights from the north at all.

Andy9137 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Ginners
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Kasalic View Post
That is interesting, not sure how they would get away with that if you pursue it. They have cancelled the flight in September, but I assume not the flight in May?

We are in a similar situation, as we rebooked our June flights to September and are now waiting to hear what we can do.
Yeah we made the decision to move it from May to Sept. I've tried to get a better explanation from them as they cancelled the Sept flight and changed my ticket, not me.

Will have to just wait and see what they say, think I'll be putting a charge back on my credit card!

Ginners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Ginners
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Andy9137 View Post
I have taken an open ticket but happy to stick with Virgin and will go with them again next year. If we all pull the plug on them they will go under and we will have no direct flights from the north at all.
Completely understand this and we do plan to go to Florida hopefully next year as we've got Universal tickets to use up by the end of the year but we just don't know when. We've decided to try and move house this year and the extra money would come in handy!

Old 10 Aug 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Sounds like what I thought would happen has started. Airlines are using their flexible policies around rescheduling to lock people in and won't be taking the burden when prices start to inevitably increase or will require people to use undesirable routing. I would never take a voucher / reschedule in this market from an airline personally. I can see a lot of upset people on here in next few weeks and months.

To the OP, I'd speak with your Credit Card company and further look at your insurance options.

This is all going to get very messy imo.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Ginners
Proud to wear my Ears

UPDATE!

After pointing out to Virgin that THEY cancelled my rescheduled flights, they went away and came back with a different message. They're now accepting my refund request. I also pointed out to them that they never refunded me the upgraded seats I had in my original booking (requested this in April).

Have now had both refund request emails through, both of which state that it should be a max of 80 days to receive my refund (unless originally requested prior to August 2020)

Old 10 Aug 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Good news. Still think it's ridiculous that it takes max of 80 days to refund you though
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Quertychap
Excited about Disney

It’s not only Virgin. I put in a claim with Staysure for villa cancellation after VA cancelled our flight. Claim submitted 31 March and paid three days ago! You can’t do a charge back on insurance claims unfortunately.
Quertychap is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List