Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Aug 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Yogi
Excited about Disney

Extended Trip with Dog

Hi,

We are wondering about maybe taking an extended trip the winter after next and having 3-4 months in Florida.

I am aware I'd need a B Visa for this if above 3 months.

But has anyone made this kind of trip and taken a dog with them? We have a well behaved but fairly large (30" tall and 110lbs) dog - so clearly wouldn't be able to go hand luggage.

Would really love to hear anyone's experiences of taking a large dog with them for an extended stay.

Thanks.
Yogi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We have took our Visla out for 11 weeks
It’s easy but costly and you can be limited to just a couple of airlines United being one
They go as freight so it’s by volume ie size of sky kennel you will need
Taking them in there vaccinations worming and rabies shots need to be up to date
And you need a fit to fly letter from your vet and of course chipped
Sky kennel must have 2 large water containers allached and have bedding that will
Absorb water we used shredded paper as advised
They can’t have a collar on but it and the lead needs to be attached to the kennel
Returning you will need to check the current Defra regulations the change frequently but it’s mostlt being checked for fleas ticks and worms and being wormed within a certain time frame for return and only certain vets can stamp the certificate that’s the biggest issue
Next issue you may have if staying in a villa you will need to check with the owners and there’s HOA if there are restrictions on weight height and breed of dog as some are not allowed
I know on ours estate pit bulls Doberman’s any of the grading breeds or over 100lbs are not allowed

Rocky on his first day we had just come back from the dog park that’s the other thing unless at the dog park they have to be n the lead at all times
And have a tag With your name and contact details on it and you need to carry a copy of rabies vaccine as you won’t have a tag
I’d also advise at least liability insurance
Hope that helps
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Yogi
Excited about Disney

Thanks - your dog seems to be loving it! May I ask how expensive shipping the dog was? Did you need to quarantine?
Yogi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

All in with vaccinations vet checks the sky kennel the size of a small car we went a size bigger than needed and an actual sky kennel not a purpose built wooden crate just for ease
As it splits in to top and bottom he did use it in the villa when we were out and at night
It was £4500
He loved it he’s too old now to go but if he was younger we would take him again
Forgot to say most airlines won’t fly any of the bull nose breeds I’d Frenchie s staffie Boxer
Dog De Boudreaux etc
And before any one says he was feeling the heat it was January at 8 am he’had been at the dog park and walked back 6 miles with DH just a normal walk for him still
We of course didn’t take him out in the heat of the day leave him in the car that’s illegal in Florida and Friends let him out if we were out any longer than 4 hours as we do here
Quarantine is currently not needed on entry to the US nor on return
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Yogi
Excited about Disney

We have a Newfoundland cross - he's right on the 100lb weight (even though he's relatively skinny for his size) so I guess we'll need to be careful with where we book. The other worry is that he'll head off into some pond and come face to face with a gator as he loves to swim at every opportunity...
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

He will be fine as I say not in the dog park they have to be on a lead our HOA fined a resident for not having a teacup yorkie on a lead but it’s in any public place
Kennels at the theme parks are expensive for the day often easier to just come back during the day for a few hours and then go back
Best things you can buy are a cooling jacket or mat for the car and pop up bowls
Just remember size of crate and size of car that’s why we had the sky kennel that came to bits
I had gone out first DH put him on the flight the next day so I had to use a friends pick up to get him at MCO and he was in the crate fastened down in the back of it back to the villa
Didn’t want to start faffing about taking it to bits on my own when he was so excited to see me
DH arrived the next day
Old 5 Aug 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
VizslaMom
Getting Excited

Gryff ... what gorgeous boy you have !

I have 2 Vizslas...a 5yr old boy and my 11 yr old 'sugar-faced' Queen. She rules the roost with an air of majesty that only a Vizsla can carry off !
They are such a special breed, aren't they?
VizslaMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

They really are amazing had the breed for over 30 years now
Rocky is sugar faced now too at 10 but still as daft as a brush and hasn’t slowed down
None of our Vislas ever have
He puts up with such a lot from the other dogs but like them all just takes it in his stride with that as we call it his snooty face
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Just a quick question, are there desease in Florida that are not evident here. Mainly I am thinking of heart worm but there may be others that you need to get your pet vacinated against in the US?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Heart worm rabies and different fleas and ticks but your vet can acess the correct medication/vaccines before you go
And that’s why you have to check for current defra rules before return as they can change