Special Needs questions & advice relating to people with special needs
Eat and Play Card

Old 9 Jul 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Whist you are correct in saying that being in a wheel chair doesn't get you a DAS, being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean that you have to queue with everyone else.

For example last August my wife got a DAS because she has bladder issues that mean she cannot go for more that 45 mins without having to visit the little girls room. However she was also waiting for a full knee replacement which necessitated us having to hire an ECV.

When we choose not to use the DAS (wait times not outside the 45 minute window, FP or DAS) we were sometimes asked if she could transfer to a wheelchair (and when we affirmed) shown into a separate disabled entrance, which was usually a more straight forward route.

At Universal, where most of the loading stations seem to be upstairs and thus nearly every ride has a wheelchair user entrance, this was an even quicker method than using out hotel passes which invariably mean you still have to go up stairs at some point.

As an aside neither of my wife's issues meant that she had a PIP, how would the providing proof scenario work in her situation?
I donít claim for pip either and although Iíve been told Iím eligible for a blue badge I havenít taken this up either. However, if it ever changed and became a rule to provide evidence Iím sure a simple letter from GP or consultant would suffice. Even when full diagnosis hasnít been reached, a medic could say what is being investigated 😀
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Finally going back ...
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TeeKayDawn View Post
I donít claim for pip either and although Iíve been told Iím eligible for a blue badge I havenít taken this up either. However, if it ever changed and became a rule to provide evidence Iím sure a simple letter from GP or consultant would suffice. Even when full diagnosis hasnít been reached, a medic could say what is being investigated 😀
Yes Iím sure it would be. I only mentioned it because earlier on in the thread it seemed that most were implying that if you had a disability (that Disney should recognise) then you would have a PIP, I just wanted to show that, that is not always the case.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Orlando... here we come
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

PIP wouldnt mean anything to Disney, universal etc as it is uk benefit. It also doesnt state what your problems etc are,
Old 10 Jul 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Yes Iím sure it would be. I only mentioned it because earlier on in the thread it seemed that most were implying that if you had a disability (that Disney should recognise) then you would have a PIP, I just wanted to show that, that is not always the case.
Yeah as others said, I'm disabled, have a blue badge and currently don't have PIP. I still have a condition that makes queuing difficult so therefore need a DAS.
Old 10 Jul 19, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Whist you are correct in saying that being in a wheel chair doesn't get you a DAS, being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean that you have to queue with everyone else.

As an aside neither of my wife's issues meant that she had a PIP, how would the providing proof scenario work in her situation?
This is very true and I wasn't trying to imply that if you had a wheelchair then you could simply queue it was just that you don't need a DAS. You can still request one if your circumstances require it.

Where I was referring to providing some sort of evidence I wasn't referring in anyway to providing evidence of any benefit. I don't get PIP but am registered disabled with my local authority and therefore would have some sort of documentation I could provide. I was also thinking along the line of a covering letter from a Dr stating the condition rather than a blue badge or PIP etc as these as you point out don't denote needing the additional service.
Old 10 Jul 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Bootrip2 & Gismo1554

Unfortunately Iím sure that whatever the solution is, it will be open to abuse.

I think Florida (or even) US law precludes Disney asking for documented proof and as such will always rule out that avenue.

My contribution to this thread should be taken as informative to those who (like my wife & I) went to Disney having never experienced any form of disability and then suddenly finding ourselves having to use a system that we hoped we would never need.

Itís a system that has 2 parts. One being the DAS system and the other being disabled access (where available) for which a DAS isnít required.

Edited at 08:18 AM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Orlando... here we come
Old 10 Jul 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Bootrip2 & Gismo1554

Unfortunately Iím sure that whatever the solution is, it will be open to abuse.

I think Florida (or even) US law precludes Disney asking for documented proof and as such will always rule out that avenue.

My contribution to this thread should be taken as informative to those who (like my wife & I) went to Disney having never experienced any form of disability and then suddenly finding ourselves having to use a system that we hoped we would never need.

Itís a system that has 2 parts. One being the DAS system and the other being disabled access (where available) for which a DAS isnít required.
You are correct. Under federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act) it is illegal for businesses to ask for proof of disability.
Old 10 Jul 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Maddy50
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
You are correct. Under federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act) it is illegal for businesses to ask for proof of disability.
Thats what I thought, but Six Flags in NJ require a doctors letter. I guess different states have different laws
Maddy50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Our WDW Holiday.
Old 10 Jul 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Maddy50 View Post
Thats what I thought, but Six Flags in NJ require a doctors letter. I guess different states have different laws
I am surprised to hear that because it isn't a Florida law.
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I remember crying my eyes out in Alton Towers because despite my hospital letters they still refused one. Eventually the manager got involved and she gave me one. But I have never been back since.

I donít know why I carry hospital letters for Florida, I know they canít ask for it. But I always always carry it. It probably just makes me feel better! To look at me thereís nothing wrong. Then later that afternoon you might see me in a wheelchair/crutches. Or you might see me using those one morning and walking in the afternoon.

There is just no telling, and I HAVE to swap between walking, sitting, wheelchair and crutches because otherwise the pain is horrific. I canít do either one of those for too long.

The DAS has been incredible for me and I couldnít believe how much on the last two trips Iíve been able to do since we incorporated using the wheelchair for a few hours most days. But I canít stay in a wheelchair so itís no use me just being in one of those.

I know how it looks and thatís why I carry my letters. I do wish someone would ask to see them.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Our Beautiful Wedding!
Buy and Sell DVC