Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Mar 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Alamo Brits

Hi guys

I have been looking at car hire for this year. I was just wondering what the difference is using Alamo Brits? This seems to be the cheapest site at the minute. I used Alamo last year through uscarhire but the prices are quite high compared to Brits.

Thanks
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Brits has got a further discount applied if you pay in advance. This is for people with the guide book - but they don't ask for the book.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Alamo Brits has all the insurance you need plus a free extra driver and free cancellation.
If it's a price you're happy with I'd book. You can always amend if their price comes down or cancel and go elsewhere if you find cheaper.

Used them loads. Never needed the "book". Do Online check in and Skip the Counter. Straight to the Garage and pick your car. Good to go.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks Yea I did notice that the website mentions a book you need to show when you arrive I wasn't sure of they would ask for it
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think the general consensus is that no one has ever been asked for the book.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chezfraser
Excited about Disney

chezfraser's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
Alamo Brits has all the insurance you need plus a free extra driver and free cancellation.
Does this include uninsured/underinsured motorist protection?
When I looked at the website all I could see listed was "CDW Full" + "EP" - no mention of UMP. Does EP include UMP?

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
I think the general consensus is that no one has ever been asked for the book.
I found a thread on TripAdvisor entitled "Alamo Brits Warning" from 2015 where they claimed Alamo had starting asking for the book and cancelled the original booking when folk didn't have the book, resulting in a much more expensive new booking. Don't know how typical this is... but I guess it is still a risk.
Disneyland 1979, 1996, Polynesian 2000, Caribbean Beach 2001 & 2002, DLP Sequoia 2002, West Ridge 2004, Highland Reserve 2006, DLP Camping(!) 2009. High Grove 2010, Highland Reserve 2012, Orange Tree 2015, California/Disneyland 2016, Hillcrest 2017, WorldQuest 2019
chezfraser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by chezfraser View Post
When I looked at the website all I could see listed was "CDW Full" + "EP" - no mention of UMP. Does EP include UMP?

I found a thread on TripAdvisor entitled "Alamo Brits Warning" from 2015 where they claimed Alamo had starting asking for the book and cancelled the original booking when folk didn't have the book, resulting in a much more expensive new booking. Don't know how typical this is... but I guess it is still a risk.
If they cancelled my booking at the exit (as I've completed Skip the counter) then I'd just get out of the car, and walk over to Avis.
But they won't cancel your booking or reduce the discount as you have already paid. There are loads of different discount schemes, and the rep on the gate won't even know ( or care ) about the scheme you are on.
And if on the million to one chance they ask ...well my response as I'm looking into my hand baggage is " Oh sh*t I was reading it on the plane and must have left it behind"
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by chezfraser View Post

EP doesn't include UMP.

However UMP is of no interest if you are a UK renter as you are fully covered by the CDW and EP that we get. It matters not if an uninsured driver damages the rental car as the 'cost recovery' will go on behind the scenes and not be our responsibility.
It is desirable for Americans driving the rental car on their own Insurance though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post

I found a thread on TripAdvisor entitled "Alamo Brits Warning" from 2015 where they claimed Alamo had starting asking for the book and cancelled the original booking when folk didn't have the book, resulting in a much more expensive new booking. Don't know how typical this is... but I guess it is still a risk.[/QUOTE]

Alamo Brits
Terms & Conditions

“Prices given on this website are only applicable to holders of a UK driving licence and are not applicable to residents of the USA or Canada or holders of USA or Canadian driving licenses. Free additional driver offer valid on all car types and any length of rental. Additional driver must be aged 25 or over. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Standard terms and conditions apply. Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time without notice. Please contact Alamo for more details. You will be requested to present your copy of the Brit Guide in order to qualify for your rental at time of pick up”

We read on various travel forums (from time to time) that a friend or a friend of a friend or some other person has been asked to produce their copy of the Brits Guide, but never directly from someone who has.

I have never been asked to produce this guide nor have I spoken to anyone who has, but I would say that the cost of the 2017 guide (£10.49 paperback or £9.97 kindle) is well worth the money for first time travellers (in my opinion) or for people who just don’t want to take the risk of being asked to product the guide on collection of their rental car.

It would be good to hear from someone who has been directly asked to product their copy off the Brits Guide. As previously mentioned “There are loads of different discount schemes, and the rep on the gate won't even know (or care) about the scheme you are on”

Edited at 10:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Nobody in the time I have been on the Dibb has been asked for it.

I have 3 x discounts I can use, Brits being just one of them. Plus I know of 4 others that certain people can always use e.g. 'airside employees'.

But, as the poster above says it is a very good book and well worth the money. Lets not forget the authors are members of the Dibb as well and very good contributors.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List