Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Mar 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
So if we get a hotel in Santa Monica, is there good public transport to the tourist areas of LA so that we don't have to take the car in?

Still looking for advice on things to do for a few hours in LA if anyone has suggestions?
Yes - there are the sightseeing hop on and hop off buses from Santa Monica to all the sights - 3 sort of tours that you can mix and match (with a company I used - colour coded ) - very easy and very doable. Your hotel concierge in Santa Monica will be able to advice you on the one that would suit your likes and timings best and should be able offer discounted tickets .

There is also a metro but I haven’t ever used it - I used the tour bus once on a very humid pre- hurricane day as I was too tired to drive and hadn’t booked a car and driver and was very impressed by the tour (I stayed at Fairmont Mirimar - great beach location and old style grand LA hotel and you started right outside on Wilshire Blvd - when back in Santa Monica would stay there again as suited my needs and iconic views of LA and Samar’s Monica beach and Pier from hotel balcony in the newer part
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Yes - there are the sightseeing hop on and hop off buses from Santa Monica to all the sights - 3 sort of tours that you can mix and match (with a company I used - colour coded ) - very easy and very doable. Your hotel concierge in Santa Monica will be able to advice you on the one that would suit your likes and timings best and should be able offer discounted tickets .

There is also a metro but I haven’t ever used it - I used the tour bus once on a very humid pre- hurricane day as I was too tired to drive and hadn’t booked a car and driver and was very impressed by the tour (I stayed at Fairmont Mirimar - great beach location and old style grand LA hotel and you started right outside on Wilshire Blvd - when back in Santa Monica would stay there again as suited my needs and iconic views of LA and Samar’s Monica beach and Pier from hotel balcony in the newer part
Thank you - that's all very helpful information. I'm off to do some hotel and tour research now.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Fuellady - I wouldn’t do Hollywood on the day you fly home not the day you arrive

Personally we wanted to stay in Santa Monica but the cost of hotels was too rich for my blood, so we looked to cheaper options (mentioned in my first post).

I hope that helps and hasn’t confused more
Old 9 Mar 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Fuellady - I wouldn’t do Hollywood on the day you fly home not the day you arrive

Personally we wanted to stay in Santa Monica but the cost of hotels was too rich for my blood, so we looked to cheaper options (mentioned in my first post).

I hope that helps and hasn’t confused more
Sorry for misunderstanding Karen 😊. I think everyone is right, that it would be too much on the day we fly home.

I had a look at Santa Monica hotels last night - they are very expensive so unfortunately I think we’ll have to look elsewhere as well. I’ll check out the places you suggested.

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi, we finished our xmas road trip in Santa Monica and really loved it there, we was t too far from metro as well and what I've read online their metro is pretty good.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Sorry for misunderstanding Karen 😊. I think everyone is right, that it would be too much on the day we fly home.

I had a look at Santa Monica hotels last night - they are very expensive so unfortunately I think we’ll have to look elsewhere as well. I’ll check out the places you suggested.
Yes, we honestly couldn’t find anywhere that was within my personal price zone for what we could get! There were four of us travelling which I think made the choices less too.

Good Luck and have a fantastic trip
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
Hi, we finished our xmas road trip in Santa Monica and really loved it there, we was t too far from metro as well and what I've read online their metro is pretty good.
Thank you - I’ll keep looking at Santa Monica as it seems a good option but we’ll have to look at other places too as SA is expensive.

Old 9 Mar 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Yes, we honestly couldn’t find anywhere that was within my personal price zone for what we could get! There were four of us travelling which I think made the choices less too.

Good Luck and have a fantastic trip
Thank you Karen. Hopefully we’ll find something soon 😁

Old 9 Mar 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Hi Linda .
If you're leaving San Bernadino first thing in the morning I think you'll have time for a few things. You really won't be long at the pier, an hour max if you just want to walk to the end of the pier and have a photo at the official end point sign. I would say you'll be done by lunchtime.

From there check in to whatever hotel you find, having a quick look on Booking.com for a random May date there are some below the £200 mark in SM. I was going to suggest Shutters on the Beach but at £556 it may be a bit too over budget

You would potentially have time to do the WB Studio Tour in the afternoon which is a couple of hours long then if time is on your side a visit to Griffith Observatory for the Hollywood sign before spending the evening on Hollywood Boulevard for the Walk of Fame.

It would be a full on last day but then would allow you to have a lie in at the hotel the next morning, a swim in the pool before heading to the airport late morning

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hi Linda .
If you're leaving San Bernadino first thing in the morning I think you'll have time for a few things. You really won't be long at the pier, an hour max if you just want to walk to the end of the pier and have a photo at the official end point sign. I would say you'll be done by lunchtime.

From there check in to whatever hotel you find, having a quick look on Booking.com for a random May date there are some below the £200 mark in SM. I was going to suggest Shutters on the Beach but at £556 it may be a bit too over budget

You would potentially have time to do the WB Studio Tour in the afternoon which is a couple of hours long then if time is on your side a visit to Griffith Observatory for the Hollywood sign before spending the evening on Hollywood Boulevard for the Walk of Fame.

It would be a full on last day but then would allow you to have a lie in at the hotel the next morning, a swim in the pool before heading to the airport late morning
Thanks Alicia. This is exactly the type of itinerary I was hoping to fit into the time we have but I was worried about trying to do too much as well. You’ve given me hope that I can make it work!

Erm yes, Shutters is a tad over budget 😩. I’ve been looking for accommodation again and I have a couple of options that might work.