Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 10 Mar 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Miriams Big Fat Adventure...

….. as much as I love Miriam Margolyes sorry I am not buying this program. After Cancer and the menopause I have put a lot of weight on and sorry, no matter what anyone says... I hate it...… I really do. I am determined to be slim again ! x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x

Edited at 08:09 PM.
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
That's the message I got from the programme too... that she hates it but has never managed to do anything about it. I quite enjoyed it, I like her directness.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I watched her in her series about death which I found very interesting and thought provoking. When she was sized up for a coffin so she could design her own😁.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
That's the message I got from the programme too... that she hates it but has never managed to do anything about it. I quite enjoyed it, I like her directness.
… don't get me wrong... I love her, but I will never be happy at the weight I am now, desperately trying to get back on track. xxx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I thought it was a good couple of programmes but I got a lot more from the first episode - linking obesity to mental health and self harm (in some cases ) I can relate to a lot ! The second episode and surgery and especially body building was all rather vane imo and as she said “lacked intelligence” (or words to that effect) and she would rather have that over a thin body (I am sure many have both)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I only saw this last night so have downloaded first one and watched most of that. Quite a few things on there really struck a chord if I'm honest.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

I found it really interesting being only 9 weeks out of bariatric surgery.

I love Miriam and her directness without being rude.

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickeys Mrs View Post

Oh come on, she can be quite rude at times Will never forget when she was in the US and was invited into a strictly religious home for a meal and she told them they were daft and wrong. The family were gobsmacked and silent for the rest of the meal!
Old 12 Mar 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mickeys Mrs View Post

I was wondering what your thoughts would be - maybe they chose the 2 women or were volunteers but I felt they both had some serious physiological issues that the surgery couldn’t really help with - Pleased you came back with your thoughts

I too like Miriam’s directness and often says what I am thinking but not brave enough to voice !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Oh come on, she can be quite rude at times Will never forget when she was in the US and was invited into a strictly religious home for a meal and she told them they were daft and wrong. The family were gobsmacked and silent for the rest of the meal!
Okay so she can be but I don't think it comes from a nasty place. I think she just says what she is thinking without much thought process behind it. I don't think she would say something with nastiness behind it.

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I was wondering what your thoughts would be - maybe they chose the 2 women or were volunteers but I felt they both had some serious physiological issues that the surgery couldn’t really help with - Pleased you came back with your thoughts

I too like Miriam’s directness and often says what I am thinking but not brave enough to voice !
A lot of people who are obese and specifically morbidly obese have psychological problems, if you have ever watched my 600lb life (based in America) it shows you all this stuff. I went into surgery not thinking I had any psychological issues, turns out I do. I used food as a comfort and when I was bored, however I can now only see this post op. When I cant rely on food (because I physically cant eat it in the portion sizes I used too) in order to comfort me or distract me I have had to find other coping mechanisms. Being addicted to food is in my opinion like being addicted to alcohol, its just not seen in the same light, its frowned upon and the obese are just told to stop eating bad food but without the right support you don't expect an alcoholic to just start drinking water without help and guidance. If you have never struggled with your weight/had an addiction you cant understand how debilitating it can be. Lots of successful bariatric patients have swapped their addiction for food for something else. Some take up smoking , some take up drinking and some use it for good like exercising . Me I start cleaning when I get bored and this now happens far more often than I did before surgery. Mostly because I have more energy now and the thought of sitting on my bum all evening (as I would do before) fills me with dread.

Bariatric surgery is not the end of your struggles. You struggle with the types of food you can eat, the portion sizes you can eat, the choices you have to make, the consequences of choosing the wrong foods. It merely is as you are told a tool to help if you choose to self sabotage you can in time go back to how you were before. If you don't figure out the cravings, the head stuff and you continue to eat past what your body needs on a regular basis all the hard work of the surgeons is undone.

And body dysmorphia is REAL. I still look into the mirror and see the woman I was before surgery its not until I see side by side photos that I can see a difference but my family and friends see huge changes in me. I still pick up size 24 clothing when I am currently sitting between a 16-18. Its complete madness and the head is so slow in catching up.

Sorry that was quite an essay I didn't mean it to be

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List