Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Mar 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
So we’ve spent about £1000 already on deposits. £150 villa, £100 ATD for universal tickets and rest My Magic Holiday (flights, 21 day Disney tickets, car, five nights on site with ddp) £7000+ balance is due 30th April. Do we pay it and stress/hope/cross fingers we go on 6th August (3wks) or postpone to next year. I can’t postpone to later this year because I’m a teacher and needs to be August as it’s the longest break. It’s a lot of money to pay out with so much uncertainty and the fact my husband is on enforced shut down due to CV so has lost shift pay. We may end up having to find another villa. We can’t afford to lose the money we’ve paid. So will have to stick with MMH who do seem to have good customer service.

Children do not know we have booked it- we had planned our reveal for Easter. Cancelled it now though.

What would you do? A holiday is something to look forward to but I just can’t see it happening. If it gets cancelled at last minute my asd children will not cope.
Anxiety is do high. Am I stressing over nothing? I’m currently home ill so feeling a bit doom and gloom and fed up anyway.
Thanks
You are not stressing over nothing, it is a dilemma.

You say you can’t afford to lose the money you have paid, but that has already gone, it is a sunk cost as we say. You should never base a financial decision on what you have already spent, you should only factor in future costs.

On that basis, that would be my decision made, I don’t want to potentially lose or be fighting to recover £8000. I really cannot imagine an August holiday going ahead at this point. I am starting to think my December trip won’t be going ahead.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

We are in the same position- booked 2 week onsite stay first 2 weeks August with MMH. Balance due 23rd April. Really don’t want to cancel, we have extra travel disruption insurance plus should be ABTA protected if flights cancelled/ Disney still closed.
Got a couple of weeks to decide. Wish balance could be paid May/ June time as I suspect more people will cancel than not if forced into a decision in April 😢.
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post

we are booked

Paid for flights in full

Deposit for 11 nights in WDW with DDP and tickets

Booked my week with marriott vacation club ( which looks like i will lose, so about £900 )

We are leaving the bookings live and its giving us something to look forward to and a little hope that things will return to normal

"All you need is a little faith, trust, and pixie dust."--Peter Pan
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We are due to fly 12th August. Got 2 weeks on site with DVC points and a week on the Disney Fantasy but I really can't see it happening. Even if we are able to fly I'm not sure any of us would want to be cruise to a variety of countries which no doubt will be in different stages of their recovery or not! I've stopped thinking about it as until someone tells me different we will loose a lot of money if we cancel as paid a lot upfront and can't go any later this year. We have a yearly travel insurance policy and we got an email this week to say they have changed their terms so if we move and this goes on we won't be covered I expect so will be waiting a long time before we plan any transatlantic trips in the future. 🙁

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
pastylad
Excited about Disney

were going on the 7th Aug paid for flights in full for 4 of us £1780 from Lufthansa, we are going to see what happens we are not going to pay balance for villa but have already paid the deposit

We will also not pay the balance for tickets as i believe it will not be what we know as Disney/Universal holiday way to many restrictions im guessing even if all is open.

If we cant get a refund for our flight we will prob go and hire a villa in the Gulf Coast and turn it into a cheaper couple of weeks in the sun.
Old 21 Mar 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

If you don't pay then you lose £1000 and the opportunity of a holiday in Florida.

If you do pay, and the holiday can go ahead, then you get the holiday. If you pay and it can't go ahead then you should be refunded the full amount including the deposit.

Biggest risk is the TA going under - would your holiday insurance cover that?

Do you still want to go?

I'd 100% pay and hope the holiday goes ahead, but with the opportunity to get all my expenditure back if not.

People will have a different perspective on everything once the infection curve flattens and then starts to drop. We just don't know for sure when that will be yet.

Edited at 03:39 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s the unknown is nt it.Will the holiday happen, Will infection rates drop? If we go what will it be like in the parks and in America. Will they even be open and operating as we know it.

My daughter is autistic, forward planning and no curve balls are so important in our/her life. She’s just had the biggest one where the schools have shut indefinitely and she won’t see her friends for a long time. She needs her routine, she no longer has it and to then have these changes will be a disaster to her and her mental health. But a holiday to focus on will make these turbulent mk this more bearable.

I’ve called our villa, fully booked for next year. So need to find a new one. £150 deposit gone.

To amend the mmh booking it’s £250, no lost deposit but prices have increased and high chance we lose free ddp but early booking offer might be ok.

Husband thinks pay (use credit card) and just see.
I know there’s bigger things to worry about right now but this is just an extra worry.

Thanks 😊
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
If you don't pay then you lose £1000 and the opportunity of a holiday in Florida.

If you do pay, and the holiday can go ahead, then you get the holiday. If you pay and it can't go ahead then you should be refunded the full amount including the deposit.

Biggest risk is the TA going under - would your holiday insurance cover that?

Do you still want to go?

I'd 100% pay and hope the holiday goes ahead, but with the opportunity to get all my expenditure back if not.

People will have a different perspective on everything once the infection curve flattens and then starts to drop. We just don't know for sure when that will be yet.

I totally agree with this.
But I need to make a decision before end of April as I have 2 bookings and used DVC points (and will need to bank them for next year, if I don't use them this year.) and another booking with Walt Disney Travel Co.
My balance through WDTC is also due early May-so it will be decision time as to whether or not I try to 'move' the holiday 'as is' until July/August 2021 or just cancel and lose my deposit, 'freeing ' me up to book again whenever I can!.

I note that many other companies are offering credit notes/vouchers as opposed to refunds. So if you haven't booked direct with Disney,worth checking this out to.

and don't forget credit cards are 'handy' when it comes to claiming back for cancelled flights etc.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 05:26 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
It’s the unknown is nt it.Will the holiday happen, Will infection rates drop? If we go what will it be like in the parks and in America. Will they even be open and operating as we know it.

My daughter is autistic, forward planning and no curve balls are so important in our/her life. She’s just had the biggest one where the schools have shut indefinitely and she won’t see her friends for a long time. She needs her routine, she no longer has it and to then have these changes will be a disaster to her and her mental health. But a holiday to focus on will make these turbulent mk this more bearable.

I’ve called our villa, fully booked for next year. So need to find a new one. £150 deposit gone.

To amend the mmh booking it’s £250, no lost deposit but prices have increased and high chance we lose free ddp but early booking offer might be ok.

Husband thinks pay (use credit card) and just see.
I know there’s bigger things to worry about right now but this is just an extra worry.

Thanks 😊
Oh gosh-I empathise with you. Thats really hard.

What did you book through mmh exactly?
As if it includes flights-moving the holiday will be a bit more complicated!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

Mmh included flight.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List